09-07-09 10:57 AM
88 1234
tools
    You're right... its not like he's going to be making any profit... he'll be paying 2yr pricing; charged diff for full retail AND/OR ETFs...
    UBER FAIL!
    PWNED!!!
    +1
    He will end up paying for it in the end so I guess its worth a chance. To the OP keep us posted on this.
    08-21-09 09:41 AM
    What he is trying to do isnt against any policy and Verizon will not charge full retail for the device's, as long as he doesnt do it within the first 30 days. After that he can cancel, pay the ETF and any other associated charges, and all is good. This isnt stealing, morally wrong or evil in any way. Verizon allows for this and I have seen it done many, many times. Personally I think its stupid, why not just keep the service? If you turn around and try to sell the devices you wont put that much more money in your pocket. If you unlock and then activate them on another network you probably wont get the best 3G speeds. Just seems like a huge hassle.
    08-21-09 09:56 AM
    What he is trying to do isnt against any policy and Verizon will not charge full retail for the device's, as long as he doesnt do it within the first 30 days. After that he can cancel, pay the ETF and any other associated charges, and all is good. This isnt stealing, morally wrong or evil in any way. Verizon allows for this and I have seen it done many, many times. Personally I think its stupid, why not just keep the service? If you turn around and try to sell the devices you wont put that much more money in your pocket. If you unlock and then activate them on another network you probably wont get the best 3G speeds. Just seems like a huge hassle.
    TECHNICALLY... no... but he's trying to profit; which is rubbing people the wrong way... TECHNICALLY its not wrong... Apparently people here are finding it MORALLY wrong and are sensitive to screwing the company.
    08-21-09 10:14 AM
    The OP is right. This can be done, and there is nothing to stop it. Just because you may not agree with it, doesn't mean it can't be done.

If you buy a phone at the 2 year promo pricing, and keep it longer than 30 days, you are locked into a contract. You cancel the line, and you pay the ETF, and that is the end of it. No returning the phone, no paying full price for the handset. That is why there is an ETF. (Yes, I am aware the ETF doesn't cover the full price of the phone)

So basically, you can get any phone for the 2 year price + ETF + 1 month service (+ any activation fees you get charged). The last time they had the BOGO BB sale, many, many people did things like this.

And technically speaking, its not even like you are cheating Verizon. You agree to their terms in their contract, and as long as you don't weasel your way out of the ETF, you are complying with it.

This is in no way stealing phones, and people on these forums have done things much worse, like purposely breaking phones to take advantage of Verizon's Multi-FRU policy.

I have to agree with this logic.....
    08-21-09 11:22 AM
    Apparently people here are finding it MORALLY wrong and are sensitive to screwing the company.

LMAO this aint church.....
    08-21-09 11:26 AM
    LMAO this aint church.....
    Its the same thing with finding a phone on the ground. The MORAL thing to do would be to turn it in, that is if you're a decent person. But this is the U.S. and we are on hard times and such so who knows.
    08-21-09 11:41 AM
    It's not right to do, besides it being stupid...just don't do it. Morally it's wrong, but if someone is that cheap then they shouldn't have a BlackBerry.
    08-21-09 11:44 AM
    I guess we are just going to have to agree to disagree. It's not morally wrong, morally wrong would be to find a BB on the ground and then sell it to someone knowing full and well that it wouldnt be able to be activated on its home network. That is nothing like what he is tring to do Blue and Bold, what a terrible analogy. What he would be doing is not in violation of his terms of service and legally he cant be prosecuted for doing so. Just because you dont like it doesnt mean its wrong.

With that said, I wouldnt do it because it seems stupid. Why shell out all that $, wait a month and then hope to make a buck after paying the ETF and other fees? Seems like he would be getting the raw end of the deal. So if anything, everyone is saying that its morally wrong for him to screw himself?? LMAO.

Let the fool learn from his mistake.
    08-21-09 12:53 PM
    It may not be "illegal", but it doesn't make it right...it's his/her choice, probably shouldn't have created a thread about it but what can we do? We live and learn...
    08-21-09 12:58 PM
    I guess we are just going to have to agree to disagree. It's not morally wrong, morally wrong would be to find a BB on the ground and then sell it to someone knowing full and well that it wouldnt be able to be activated on its home network. That is nothing like what he is tring to do Blue and Bold, what a terrible analogy. What he would be doing is not in violation of his terms of service and legally he cant be prosecuted for doing so. Just because you dont like it doesnt mean its wrong.

With that said, I wouldnt do it because it seems stupid. Why shell out all that $, wait a month and then hope to make a buck after paying the ETF and other fees? Seems like he would be getting the raw end of the deal. So if anything, everyone is saying that its morally wrong for him to screw himself?? LMAO.

Let the fool learn from his mistake.
    Screw it. lets just wait and see what happens. I doubt he goes through with it. Sorry about my horrible analogy some of us have had phones stolen. I guess its not the same he isn't breaking the law but he is knowingly trying to trick the system. Normally I am down for all of this I like the theories and ideas that ppl come up with to tricking the system but this is just dumb.
    08-21-09 12:58 PM
    This thread should probably be closed now...any mods?
    08-21-09 01:00 PM
    Please close. We're not gettin anywhere here. This is just like the thread of the guy who "found" a phone and wanted to unlock for at&t... everyone gets their flamethrowers ready and roasts the bast*rd
    08-21-09 01:02 PM
    Agreed, this thread is just causing arguments and is not going anywhere. Can a moderator please intervene and do what is appropriate? Thank you.
    08-21-09 01:03 PM
    i don't see anything wrong, just tryin to screw the system like we get screwed. i know people on other networks that have blackberrys and dont have to have to pay a $30 data plan to use the phone.
    08-21-09 01:07 PM
    Agreed, this thread is just causing arguments and is not going anywhere. Can a moderator please intervene and do what is appropriate? Thank you.
    I don't see why it needs to be closed...? Are you afraid that your feelings might get hurt. There isn't anything wrong with debate. Yeah the name calling isn't great, but we are all grown ups... I hope?
    08-21-09 01:07 PM
    Why aren't you over there? We don't feel bad if you pay... oh wait the same amount as all of us. Pay the ETF and go over to their provider.

i don't see anything wrong, just tryin to screw the system like we get screwed. i know people on other networks that have blackberrys and dont have to have to pay a $30 data plan to use the phone.
    08-21-09 01:08 PM
    I don't see why it needs to be closed...? Are you afraid that your feelings might get hurt. There isn't anything wrong with debate. Yeah the name calling isn't great, but we are all grown ups... I hope?
    The reason is should be closed is because its dumb. Everyone has their opinion.
    08-21-09 01:10 PM
    Good.. Go join them with their carrier so you can get no data with your smartphone.
    08-21-09 01:10 PM
    This is exactly why the thread should be closed...arguments are being started and it's not worth it...two wrongs don't make a right by the way, so if you feel like you are being screwed be Verizon, you don't "screw" them back...
    08-21-09 01:12 PM
    wow u guys are about ********, did i ever say i wanted to switch, nope. just sayin we should have the option to have the phone and no data if we want. myself i think its pointless
    08-21-09 01:12 PM
    wow u guys are about ********, did i ever say i wanted to switch, nope. just sayin we should have the option to have the phone and no data if we want. myself i think its pointless
    I disagree. I think most of them are way beyond ********. If the OP isn't violating the contract he signed with verizon then there is nothing wrong, legally or morally, with what he is doing. End of discussion!

If people want to discuss morality I suggest they find I religious forum to do it in.
    08-21-09 01:16 PM
    People!!! This is why it should be closed, don't you understand that everyone is calling each other names because of this topic? This is ridiculous! END OF DISCUSSION. GROW UP EVERYONE!
    08-21-09 01:17 PM
    really, i didnt say that quote, if ur gonna quote use the right one, and u keep sayin its goin nowhere but keeping adding to it
    08-21-09 01:19 PM
    and with that, what a nice day it is outside !!
    08-21-09 01:20 PM
    Refresh your page, I made a mistake...SORRY. Now, this thread should end here...LOL it is nice out!
    08-21-09 01:21 PM
88 1234
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD