09-07-09 11:57 AM
88 123 ...
tools
    I would like to buy a Blackberry Tour, get another one free, activate 2 data only lines, keep them for a month and then cancel the lines and keep the phones. The way I figure it would cost me about $280 per phone to do this. Has anyone had any success doing this? Or is it a bad idea?
    08-20-09 09:50 PM
    Are you kidding me? You are posting on a public forum asking for help to steal phones?
    08-20-09 09:54 PM
    It isn't stealing... it is beating the system. Hence the ETF.
    08-20-09 09:55 PM
    If this is done, they ususally will ask for the phones back as well. DUMB idea
    08-20-09 09:59 PM
    If this is done, they ususally will ask for the phones back as well. DUMB idea
    They can't have the phones back and the EFT... one of the other.
    08-20-09 10:00 PM
    They can't have the phones back and the EFT... one of the other.
    Your right however, they will charge you full retail and not paying it will be theft.
    08-20-09 10:06 PM
    Your right however, they will charge you full retail and not paying it will be theft.
    They can have the phone back and get no EFT or charge the EFT and I keep the phone. One or the other. No charging full retail.
    08-20-09 10:09 PM
    They can have the phone back and get no EFT or charge the EFT and I keep the phone. One or the other. No charging full retail.
    You better read the fine print of the CONTRACT you signed....They will be entitled to both.
    ps I hate scumbags
    08-20-09 10:16 PM
    I would like to buy a Blackberry Tour, get another one free, activate 2 data only lines, keep them for a month and then cancel the lines and keep the phones. The way I figure it would cost me about $280 per phone to do this. Has anyone had any success doing this? Or is it a bad idea?
    Hmm... Don't you think a company as large as VZW has people smarter than you? Hard to beat the system when the system is prepared for people like YOU!
    08-21-09 02:45 AM
    Fail!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com

08-21-09 02:56 AM
    You can't do it, bruh. Verizon really does prepare for these kind of things.
    08-21-09 02:57 AM
    This is why Phone companies have to charge so much. People trying to get something for nothing. If you want a Tour, buy it online, if you want to rip someone off, post in another forum!

08-21-09 05:07 AM
    The OP is right. This can be done, and there is nothing to stop it. Just because you may not agree with it, doesn't mean it can't be done.

If you buy a phone at the 2 year promo pricing, and keep it longer than 30 days, you are locked into a contract. You cancel the line, and you pay the ETF, and that is the end of it. No returning the phone, no paying full price for the handset. That is why there is an ETF. (Yes, I am aware the ETF doesn't cover the full price of the phone)

So basically, you can get any phone for the 2 year price + ETF + 1 month service (+ any activation fees you get charged). The last time they had the BOGO BB sale, many, many people did things like this.

And technically speaking, its not even like you are cheating Verizon. You agree to their terms in their contract, and as long as you don't weasel your way out of the ETF, you are complying with it.

This is in no way stealing phones, and people on these forums have done things much worse, like purposely breaking phones to take advantage of Verizon's Multi-FRU policy.
    08-21-09 05:30 AM
    The OP is right. This can be done, and there is nothing to stop it. Just because you may not agree with it, doesn't mean it can't be done.

If you buy a phone at the 2 year promo pricing, and keep it longer than 30 days, you are locked into a contract. You cancel the line, and you pay the ETF, and that is the end of it. No returning the phone, no paying full price for the handset. That is why there is an ETF. (Yes, I am aware the ETF doesn't cover the full price of the phone)

So basically, you can get any phone for the 2 year price + ETF + 1 month service (+ any activation fees you get charged). The last time they had the BOGO BB sale, many, many people did things like this.

And technically speaking, its not even like you are cheating Verizon. You agree to their terms in their contract, and as long as you don't weasel your way out of the ETF, you are complying with it.

This is in no way stealing phones, and people on these forums have done things much worse, like purposely breaking phones to take advantage of Verizon's Multi-FRU policy.
    While I understand your point, I have to add my 2 cents. Its one thing if you sign up, use the phones, discover VZW is not for you, and choose to terminate based on a bad experience. Its a whole other thing when you enter the contract prepared to terminate, just to get the phones out the deal. I'm sure you could go to ebay, craigslist, or the marketplace here and acquire the phones at a decent price, without being a weasel.

08-21-09 05:38 AM
    While I understand your point, I have to add my 2 cents. Its one thing if you sign up, use the phones, discover VZW is not for you, and choose to terminate based on a bad experience. Its a whole other thing when you enter the contract prepared to terminate, just to get the phones out the deal. I'm sure you could go to ebay, craigslist, or the marketplace here and acquire the phones at a decent price, without being a weasel.

I agree.

I'm not saying that this practice is morally acceptable, I'm saying there is nothing technically or legally wrong with it.
    08-21-09 05:40 AM
    He comes on here asks for ideas then disregards everything ppl are saying. If you think you have figured it out then just do it. But I'll be laughing when they make you pay more than you think. Just remember anything you've tried has been tried before.
    08-21-09 08:37 AM
    I hope this bag of d0uche gets charged full retail, has to pay the etf, and gets some kind of credit hit.
    08-21-09 10:10 AM
    It isn't stealing... it is beating the system. Hence the ETF.
    Might as well just buy em retail; you're going to be charged the ETF AND retail price on your last billing statement.
    08-21-09 10:19 AM
    No need for name calling, his plan is shady and ill- advised, but I'd hardly call it theft.

I wasnt name calling, I was making a very broad statement in no way directed at any one individual, people make their own inferences
    08-21-09 10:21 AM
    I wasnt name calling, I was making a very broad statement in no way directed at any one individual, people make their own inferences
    So was I
    08-21-09 10:24 AM
    What you also aren't taking into your cost figures is the price plan and activation fees for that month. Lowest share plan for new lines is $69.99, plus $29.99 for each data plan. That is $129.97 plus taxes and fees, so about $155 for the plan just for one month. Now add in a $35 activation fee for the first line, $25 for the second line. You are now at a total of $215 in additional costs you haven't figured into your $280 amount bringing each device to an average cost of $387.50.
    08-21-09 10:28 AM
    Why are people getting so upset. This is not cheating, stealing or being a weasel. Simply following the guidelines setup by VZW.

Maybe I can get some of you a step ladder in case you need help getting down from your high horses.
    08-21-09 10:29 AM
    Why are people getting so upset. This is not cheating, stealing or being a weasel. Simply following the guidelines setup by VZW.

Maybe I can get some of you a step ladder in case you need help getting down from your high horses.
    OK maybe you can I guess people that don't try to rape the system are up on high horses?
    08-21-09 10:33 AM
    How is it raping if you follow the contract that both you and VZW agreed to? Just because people don't think it right doesn't make it wrong. I know for a fact that if VZW thought this was an issue they would re-word their contracts so this couldn't happen.
    08-21-09 10:36 AM
    This is why Phone companies have to charge so much. People trying to get something for nothing. If you want a Tour, buy it online, if you want to rip someone off, post in another forum!

You're right... its not like he's going to be making any profit... he'll be paying 2yr pricing; charged diff for full retail AND/OR ETFs...
    UBER FAIL!
    08-21-09 10:38 AM
88 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD