I got the opportunity to play with a 4G device the other day. It had a really cool form factor, very compact and good build quality. It was a bit tricky to slide out at first but then, once I figured it out the action on it was nice.

Of course it was only a Pantech Notebook card!

Sorry! Had to do it!

What I was able to find out about the VZW LTE Launch is as follows:
    1. The Date has moved from 11/15 to 12/6.
    2. The Notebook card i played with was getting an average of 5-6 mbps speeds on the outskirts of the NY LTE area. So at about 1-2 bars of LTE signal it was still seeing those speeds. The highest seen with that set up has been 30 mbps. It was mentioned that altering your Windows settings with such a card could vastly increase the speed. Did not get specifics on that.
    3. VZW is going to tier the LTE network access by Download speeds, like they do with Fios. So you get up to 10 mbps for 1 price, up to 15 mbps for a higher price, etc. So the Max Speeds will be governed based on what you pay for.

On the price Tiers, I don't know actual tiers for cost or max speed. I also don't know if that will only be for mifi type stuff and notebook cards or if they will do the same on Smartphones when those start to drop. It seems like an odd move because they can't guarantee the speeds if you are wireless. I am sure there will be some serious fine print.

Other items of interest...

When asked about the iPhone coming to VZW in January, my source said that they didn't think so. At least not in Jan.

Also knowing that I am due now for an upgrade I was advised to hold and wait until January, repetitively.

So that's what I know...
    11-02-10 01:04 PM
    I wonder how you got ahold of a "4G" device when the standards for 4G haven't been laid down yet.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-02-10 01:41 PM
    Because the device is the hands of testers and analysts as we speak. You think they wouldn't be testing it?
    11-02-10 02:35 PM
    Because the device is the hands of testers and analysts as we speak. You think they wouldn't be testing it?
    But how do they know it's 4G... the defining factors haven't been laid down.

Testing or not testing the standards haven't been laid so it's still questionable as to what "4g" is.

11-02-10 03:21 PM
    Ahhh it's a game of "we know and you don't" nothing new from big red.
    11-02-10 03:25 PM
    I got the opportunity to play with a 4G device the other day. It had a really cool form factor, very compact and good build quality. It was a bit tricky to slide out at first but then, once I figured it out the action on it was nice.

Of course it was only a Pantech Notebook card!

Sorry! Had to do it!

What I was able to find out about the VZW LTE Launch is as follows:
    1. The Date has moved from 11/15 to 12/6.
    2. The Notebook card i played with was getting an average of 5-6 mbps speeds on the outskirts of the NY LTE area. So at about 1-2 bars of LTE signal it was still seeing those speeds. The highest seen with that set up has been 30 mbps. It was mentioned that altering your Windows settings with such a card could vastly increase the speed. Did not get specifics on that.
    3. VZW is going to tier the LTE network access by Download speeds, like they do with Fios. So you get up to 10 mbps for 1 price, up to 15 mbps for a higher price, etc. So the Max Speeds will be governed based on what you pay for.

On the price Tiers, I don't know actual tiers for cost or max speed. I also don't know if that will only be for mifi type stuff and notebook cards or if they will do the same on Smartphones when those start to drop. It seems like an odd move because they can't guarantee the speeds if you are wireless. I am sure there will be some serious fine print.

Other items of interest...

When asked about the iPhone coming to VZW in January, my source said that they didn't think so. At least not in Jan.

Also knowing that I am due now for an upgrade I was advised to hold and wait until January, repetitively.

So that's what I know...
    Man please tell me your source was talking about some new BB device or at least hinting at one?

I ask because just today something happened to my 8900 and it caused a nasty line to just appear from one corner to another on my screen. If your source was even slightly hinting at new BB hardware in january then I will bypass buying the 9780 on cincinnati bell and just get a new (refurb'd ) 8900 from the insurance. All I've ever been waiting on is for Verizon to drop a nicely spec'd Storm and they'll instantly have my business ha ha
    11-02-10 03:38 PM
    I'm starting to get the feeling that we will see a GSM flavored Storm3 for euro markets FIRST, early next year, and we won't see the LTE Verizon version until mid year. I'm guestimating, but my gut feeling is spring or early summer. I'm gonna call it June. I hope I'm wrong!
    11-02-10 04:02 PM
    But how do they know it's 4G... the defining factors haven't been laid down.
    Not to the public.
    11-02-10 04:03 PM
    On the 4G thing...yes the standard is somewhat murky. In faxy based on recent articles there is no central requirement that defines what is 3G and what is 4G. The most popular standard would make Sprint's WiMax network 3.5, ATT and T-Mobile's HSPA+ 3.6G and VZW's LTE network 3.9G. However the carriers are all marketing their networks as 4G, so that is to what I refer. More specifically it was an LTE air card.

No my source did not share specifics on any upcoming devices, but VZW has publicly stated that they will showcase several LTE phones at CTIA in January and RIM was on the list of manufacturers. Also those (5?) phones would be in market by May 2011. Further rumors of the Storm 3 have always said it would support LTE and more recently that it would be the 1st or 2nd phone released for the LTE network. I take it my source knew something but didn't want to give specifics. That has happened before were he was obscure on something and later admitted he knew all about it. So I think we will see a Storm in early 2011 that is LTE capable. That or a Playbook.

11-02-10 05:05 PM
    No my source did not share specifics on any upcoming devices, but VZW has publicly stated that they will showcase several LTE phones at CTIA in January and RIM was on the list of manufacturers. Also those (5?) phones would be in market by May 2011. Further rumors of the Storm 3 have always said it would support LTE and more recently that it would be the 1st or 2nd phone released for the LTE network. I take it my source knew something but didn't want to give specifics. That has happened before were he was obscure on something and later admitted he knew all about it. So I think we will see a Storm in early 2011 that is LTE capable. That or a Playbook.
    That has gotta be such a tease!! For him to later say I knew all about it and for him knowing stuff right now probably about the S3 and not telling you has gotta be brutal. Either that or he told you and just told you not to tell us

Regardless, I do think that come Jan is gonna be a good time to be able to make a decision on a phone. With CX saying we should see the PB by then, even if I can get a PB in my hands that would hold me off for awhile I'm sure, while we see what the deal with the Storm is. Also by then I'm sure we will know plenty more info on the new Storm, Verizon 4G devices and when the CDMA iPhone will be launching. It just sucks we gotta wait that long and be patient, especially with all these rumors going around about devices that no one can confirm or deny. Just sucks right now
    11-02-10 05:33 PM
    I hope the new year starts with a great news Storm 3 LTE well before the june speculation of some my storm 1 is dying and begining to have issues. dont want to waste an upgrade on old tech.
    11-02-10 06:34 PM
    Not to the public.
    I think he's being technical, in the sense that WiMAX and LTE currently don't meet 4G requirements. The next iteration of WiMAX and LTE Advanced will meet the 4G requirements.

While WiMAX and LTE may be the 4th generation of wireless that carriers are building, their speeds don't meet "4G qualifications".

However, I'll trust you that LTE devices are being tested. And that's very exciting!
    11-02-10 07:49 PM
    That has gotta be such a tease!! For him to later say I knew all about it and for him knowing stuff right now probably about the S3 and not telling you has gotta be brutal. Either that or he told you and just told you not to tell us

Regardless, I do think that come Jan is gonna be a good time to be able to make a decision on a phone. With CX saying we should see the PB by then, even if I can get a PB in my hands that would hold me off for awhile I'm sure, while we see what the deal with the Storm is. Also by then I'm sure we will know plenty more info on the new Storm, Verizon 4G devices and when the CDMA iPhone will be launching. It just sucks we gotta wait that long and be patient, especially with all these rumors going around about devices that no one can confirm or deny. Just sucks right now
    He knew about the Storm 1. When I first started asking him about it he played dumb. After it was announced he told me how he had known about it for months. I can't blame him. Not sure if he specifically has an NDA by why risk a job. Besides he is more of a network guy. Really does not pay much attention to the phones themselves. That is what drives nuts. He would know a lot more if he qa w gadget freak like all of us. But he could give a **** less about the phones. LOL. Like what he knows about the iPhone stems from the work VZW on their network to add Redundancy and bandwidth to support it if they got it. He was certain they would have it in June this year. I think the fact that they didn't get it surprised a lot of people at VZW.

11-02-10 09:47 PM
    I think he's being technical, in the sense that WiMAX and LTE currently don't meet 4G requirements. The next iteration of WiMAX and LTE Advanced will meet the 4G requirements.

While WiMAX and LTE may be the 4th generation of wireless that carriers are building, their speeds don't meet "4G qualifications".

However, I'll trust you that LTE devices are being tested. And that's very exciting!
    You are exactly right. But the testing is done. Finished on the network side in August and went to friendly user testing. But that is no secret. VZW has been really public about the LTE network. Go to www.verizonwireless/LTE. (I think that is the link) but they have a ton of press releases on it. Believe me, my source lost sleep over this because they had announced the timelines and then has to deliver.

11-02-10 09:51 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD