I am interested in seeing how the VZW network holds up under the pressures of iPhone usage.

Im comfortable assuming the iPhone will get way more data usage than any other smartphone we have right now, the device just entices users to use apps, surf, watch vids, etc. a lot more so than some other devices.

I wonder what, if anything VZW can do to prepare for this? Or if those steps are already in place ready?

I guess a question that piggybacks this one is, will ATT service improve that much more once exclusivity is lost?

It will all be very interesting to see, im very excited.
    05-06-10 12:15 AM
    I am interested in seeing how the VZW network holds up under the pressures of iPhone usage.

Im comfortable assuming the iPhone will get way more data usage than any other smartphone we have right now, the device just entices users to use apps, surf, watch vids, etc. a lot more so than some other devices.

I wonder what, if anything VZW can do to prepare for this? Or if those steps are already in place ready?

I guess a question that piggybacks this one is, will ATT service improve that much more once exclusivity is lost?

It will all be very interesting to see, im very excited.
    Verizon has about 8-10 times the capacity of AT&T from the CDMA based standard alone. That's not to say that the iPhone wouldn't put a squeeze on the network, but nothing like what's been happening to AT&T in metro areas like NYC, San Francisco Bay Area, Chicago, et al. Heavy load on CDMA causes shrinkage in a coverage, which can then be offset by better power management.

I am not convinced that the iPhone is coming to Verizon this year. VZW didn't like Apple's model for sales and support, and I see no indicators that the model changed. The retail pricing and carrier subsidization for the equipment I think is not within the comfort zone of VZW either. VZW and Google didn't even put together a plan for Nexus One (of course I think the VZW partnership with HTC was the factor there) and that would have been a far less "involved" indirect channel. Given all the cards on the table, I think Apple is in the stronger position to make demands and sell the "value" (look at all the subscribers, etc). Verizon tends not to yield control to anyone.

I think the meeting of the brands will be when LTE is rolling out.
    05-06-10 12:38 AM
    AT&T extends iPhone exclusive in quid pro quo, says analyst - Computerworld

While I disagree with this analyst's assessment that AT&T had to do something "dramatic" to get the iPad, it certainly greased the skids to potentially keep the iPhone exclusive to AT&T for another year or so.

Fine by me...Apple and AT&T can keep each other...
    05-06-10 03:26 PM
    This article was out a week or so ago that says that Verizon and Sprint already handle a quite a bit MORE data than At&t

Verizon and Sprint handled 16 billion more MB of data than AT&T in 2009 Boy Genius Report
    05-06-10 03:51 PM
    Verizon has about 8-10 times the capacity of AT&T from the CDMA based standard alone.

I am not convinced that the iPhone is coming to Verizon this year. VZW didn't like Apple's model for sales and support, and I see no indicators that the model changed. The retail pricing and carrier subsidization for the equipment I think is not within the comfort zone of VZW either. VZW and Google didn't even put together a plan for Nexus One (of course I think the VZW partnership with HTC was the factor there) and that would have been a far less "involved" indirect channel. Given all the cards on the table, I think Apple is in the stronger position to make demands and sell the "value" (look at all the subscribers, etc). Verizon tends not to yield control to anyone.

I think the meeting of the brands will be when LTE is rolling out.
    It's been shown that Verizon handled more data usage than AT&T already according to one analyst, however I'm not sure how accurate the claim is that Verizon's network can handle 8-10 times the capacity of AT&T. I personally think that AT&T is using the iPhone as a scapegoat with regard to their service issues. Don't get me wrong, I'm sure it puts somewhat of a strain on the network, but when you see how much data is actually doled out by the different carriers, quite a different story is told.

In any event, I also don't know about the claim about all of Apple's control. Verizon's CEO (the majority owner of Verizon Wireless) has said on the record on at least two occasions that the decision to put the iPhone on the Verizon Wireless network lays solely with Apple, and that he expects Verizon will sell/support/and or provide service for Apple products at some point in the future.

I do agree with you that LTE will be the determining factor, though. And to answer the OP's question, LTE is what Verizon is doing to prepare its network for handling the iPhone (and growing data use in general by all mobile devices).
    05-06-10 07:55 PM
    who cares.. Verizon will not be getting the Iphone any time soon if ever... which is a good thing
    05-06-10 07:58 PM
    who cares.. Verizon will not be getting the Iphone any time soon if ever... which is a good thing
    I think a lot of people care ... including the Verizon execs.
    05-06-10 08:14 PM
    I think a lot of people care ... including the Verizon execs.
    And including the people who want to see the iPhone on VZW. There might be just a few people, there might be billions of people, either way there is sure to be some people who do care
    05-07-10 02:33 PM
    What is comes down to is money. It makes good business for Verizon to get the iPhone. Once they do they will be able to HAMMER AT&T in commercials. Verizon shareholders are counting the minutes until the iPhone drops. Once people start using the iPad 3G AT&T's network is going to be worse than it already is.
    05-07-10 09:45 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD