05-30-09 05:09 PM
26 12
tools
    I lost my phone and i'm thinking about getting the BB Pearl because it would be free, looks sweet, and the keyboard/suretype looks good. But currently VZW requires a 29.99/mo. data plan. Is there anyway to hack the pearl so that i can use it only for phone calls/sms messages and not have to buy the data plan?
    05-27-09 04:43 PM
    No, there is not. You must get the data plan or Verizon will not activate the device...
    05-27-09 04:45 PM
    NO!!! You have to have data plan. You could buy a Pearl with a Bad ESN from ebay. Then you could flash it to Metro PCS or Cricket. Then you could have Pearl just to make calls and sms.
    05-27-09 04:49 PM
    *sigh*
    i hate this company.
    thanks for your help, folks!
    05-27-09 07:53 PM
    All blackberrys require a data plan on most carriers due to the fact that the phone will constantly be trying to connect with the BB server and without a plan it could result in a HUGE bill.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-27-09 07:55 PM
    yep, not just verizon. All cell companies require a BB data plan to activate the blackberry devices.
    05-27-09 08:53 PM
    *sigh*
    i hate this company.
    thanks for your help, folks!
    Not to bash, but if you hate VZW (or any other carrier, for that matter) over this, you're barking up the wrong tree.

Blackberries are DATA devices that just happen to make phone calls. If you want a Pearl, Curve, Bold, Storm, Tour or what have you because it looks purty, your priorities are misplaced. Blackberries are for data users. Always have been, probably always will be.

05-27-09 09:02 PM
    I lost my phone and i'm thinking about getting the BB Pearl because it would be free, looks sweet, and the keyboard/suretype looks good. But currently VZW requires a 29.99/mo. data plan. Is there anyway to hack the pearl so that i can use it only for phone calls/sms messages and not have to buy the data plan?
    Sure. Desolder the radio chip from the pcb and install one from a nonsmartphone.

Should take like 3 minutes.
    05-27-09 11:01 PM
    Hey guys, I was thinking of buying an HD tv and Blu-ray player....any way I can hack directv and/or steal bluerays from bestbuy? Would I be cool if i were to put bunny ears on my HDtv and just watch ABC and Fox because cable is too much money?
    05-27-09 11:21 PM
    Hey guys, I was thinking of buying an HD tv and Blu-ray player....any way I can hack directv and/or steal bluerays from bestbuy? Would I be cool if i were to put bunny ears on my HDtv and just watch ABC and Fox because cable is too much money?
    No, verizon blocked that feature on your tv. Maybe if it had wifi but they took that out of your tv too.
    05-27-09 11:34 PM
    No, verizon blocked that feature on your tv. Maybe if it had wifi but they took that out of your tv too.
    sigh
    I hate this fortune 500 company!
    05-27-09 11:38 PM
    Not to bash, but if you hate VZW (or any other carrier, for that matter) over this, you're barking up the wrong tree.

Blackberries are DATA devices that just happen to make phone calls. If you want a Pearl, Curve, Bold, Storm, Tour or what have you because it looks purty, your priorities are misplaced. Blackberries are for data users. Always have been, probably always will be.

You make a point with your post, except for one thing. PDA capabilities. There are many people, who do not particularly care about data capabilities, but for whom having a fully featured calendar, address book, and so forth is key. Many such people would prefer to carry 1 blackberry rather than a dumbphone and a PDA. Forcing people to get a data plan, though, means two devices is the only option for such people.
    05-27-09 11:38 PM
    You make a point with your post, except for one thing. PDA capabilities. There are many people, who do not particularly care about data capabilities, but for whom having a fully featured calendar, address book, and so forth is key. Many such people would prefer to carry 1 blackberry rather than a dumbphone and a PDA. Forcing people to get a data plan, though, means two devices is the only option for such people.
    In the old time days, one could get a windows mobile phone and not have a data plan. Then people started using data and being charged for what they used at a $.005/kb clip(I think that was the fee) and then shockingly, because capitalism and marketing has taught us all that we are entitled to anything and everything, these people had the audacity to demand credits. After giving the credits, VZW would give them 2 options....data plan or blocked data. Most chose to have the data blocked. Lo and behold, that meant people couldnt send or receive pix messages. More griping. The solution.....If you want a smartphone, you're getting a data plan.

I have seen one blackberry activated without a data plan. It was an 8703 purchased on ebay, the customer activated it on their own. They came to the store with a $6000 phone bill. I looked at the bill and it was voice overages. 8 min data call. disconnect. 8 min data call. so on and so forth. every 8 min for a solid month. it was crazy.
    05-27-09 11:53 PM
    I have a T-Mobile 8700 that is phone only. I used to have BES service for my old job but after I got laid off I changed it to BIS. When I got my new job, a new Curve and got tired of checking my GMail on two devices, I called and cancelled the data plan.

One of our ATT devices that we just canceled was Data only, no phone service...
    05-27-09 11:56 PM
    sigh
    I hate this fortune 500 company!
    Oooh. In an effort to further nickle and dime everyone, Verizon has been granted patents for the words:
    hate, sucks, sux, sux0rz, and the phrase "if you had wifi."
    Speaking or writing these words will cost you 38 cents each.
    05-27-09 11:59 PM
    I believe right now t mobile and att still allow the activation of blackberrys without data plans although there are rumours of changes to those policies - aka required data plans - but if you want a pearl without data, those two carriers would be a good route to go for now.

05-27-09 11:59 PM
    In the old time days, one could get a windows mobile phone and not have a data plan. Then people started using data and being charged for what they used at a $.005/kb clip(I think that was the fee) and then shockingly, because capitalism and marketing has taught us all that we are entitled to anything and everything, these people had the audacity to demand credits. After giving the credits, VZW would give them 2 options....data plan or blocked data. Most chose to have the data blocked. Lo and behold, that meant people couldnt send or receive pix messages. More griping. The solution.....If you want a smartphone, you're getting a data plan.

I have seen one blackberry activated without a data plan. It was an 8703 purchased on ebay, the customer activated it on their own. They came to the store with a $6000 phone bill. I looked at the bill and it was voice overages. 8 min data call. disconnect. 8 min data call. so on and so forth. every 8 min for a solid month. it was crazy.
    Yeah, I can understand the reasoning. Still, the data plan or data block option sounds better to me. And just tell them up front, if you do the latter, no pix messages. Or, someone could actually come out with a dumbphone that had a decent calendaring and address book system, with real Mac / Outlook sync capabilities. There's no reason full QWERTY phones like the Alias 2 and enV2 couldn't have something like that.
    05-28-09 12:02 AM
    Yeah, I can understand the reasoning. Still, the data plan or data block option sounds better to me. And just tell them up front, if you do the latter, no pix messages. Or, someone could actually come out with a dumbphone that had a decent calendaring and address book system, with real Mac / Outlook sync capabilities. There's no reason full QWERTY phones like the Alias 2 and enV2 couldn't have something like that.

I agree. Some of these qwerty phones should at least have an extensive calendar.
    05-28-09 12:12 AM
    If you don't want data, sell the BB, buy a Treo 700W.
    Still has a keyboard for text. A pretty solid device.
    You can use ActiveSync.
    05-28-09 01:14 AM
    I can fully understand the point you're making, but that's not what a Blackberry is.

Does it have PDA capabilities? Yes. But Blackberries were not designed to be PDA's (in the traditional gimme a killer calendar and address book that I can reference on hand set). They were designed as Data devices first and foremost. Push email was the killer app they popularized, along with PDA capabilities.

I'm not really arguing semantics here. I do agree with you that phones such as the Alias 2, the LG sets, etc. should have a more organizational approach to them since they have full QWERTY keyboards. That would be a great phone to have around for people that want to have the organization of having a Blackberry w/o having to pay for a data plan to access emails/data services.

It's just frustrating. Blackberries are very cool devices, no doubt. I don't feel cooler cause I have one though. A lot of people want a BB for the "cool factor" (similar to the Jesus phone) and are ticked off when they realize they have to pay another $29.99 a month (at least) to have that "Ooooh, look at me, I have a Blackberry!" feeling..

Maybe it's just the profession I'm in. I see so many Blackberries a day that someone having one just doesn't impress me much.
    05-28-09 08:21 AM
    Why isn't this an option anymore? There just isn't much of a demand for phones with PDA capabilities but no data plan. Sure there may be a handful of people who want that, but the few who simply wont pay for a data plan are greatly outnumbered by those who will just bite the bullet and pay. It sucks that you can't just 'disable data' and not have a plan, but companies are out to make money, they probably just feel they'll get more money requiring a data plan on all smart phones than making it optional.
    05-28-09 11:51 AM
    Why isn't this an option anymore? There just isn't much of a demand for phones with PDA capabilities but no data plan. Sure there may be a handful of people who want that, but the few who simply wont pay for a data plan are greatly outnumbered by those who will just bite the bullet and pay. It sucks that you can't just 'disable data' and not have a plan, but companies are out to make money, they probably just feel they'll get more money requiring a data plan on all smart phones than making it optional.
    I already explained why VZW now charges a data plan for all PDA's.

Reading threads is awesome!
    05-28-09 11:50 PM
    I believe right now t mobile and att still allow the activation of blackberrys without data plans although there are rumours of changes to those policies - aka required data plans - but if you want a pearl without data, those two carriers would be a good route to go for now.

actually, that's off, their policies say you don't get a blackberry without the blackberry data plan because *RIM* requires it, but, since they don't track ESN for the phone, only the IMEI of the SIM card, you can get away with "oh yeah, I don't have the blackberry anymore and I don't want that data service anymore"

also, if you think that's terrible that you have to get the data package to get pricing and have the phone, go look closely at some of AT&T's new promo's, to get the good pricing on the phones with the best rebates you have to sign up for a minimum $10/line data feature for the duration of your contract.....for REGULAR PHONES....and you think being required to have the blackberry feature on a blackberry is outrageous.....at least you're gaining functionality from the BIS service....
    05-29-09 01:38 AM
    A data plan is required on all Blackberrys because RIM deems it so. Every company has a contract with a phone manufacturer in order to carry their devices, and apparently it's clearly stated in RIMs that all active BBs MUST HAVE a data plan. This is because, when you think about it, the phone is ALWAYS connected to the RIM servers (BBM, email, internet, etc. everything goes through RIM servers).
    05-30-09 03:38 PM
    A data plan is required on all Blackberrys because RIM deems it so. Every company has a contract with a phone manufacturer in order to carry their devices, and apparently it's clearly stated in RIMs that all active BBs MUST HAVE a data plan. This is because, when you think about it, the phone is ALWAYS connected to the RIM servers (BBM, email, internet, etc. everything goes through RIM servers).
    Not only BB devices, but any PDA/smart phone released after Nov. 14th 2008, require data plans with VZW. I would also venture a guess at this time if data credits for dumbphones continue at the rate they are, that there maybe requirement for them as well. Strcitly speculation on my part though.
    05-30-09 03:58 PM
26 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD