03-31-09 04:05 AM
45 12
tools
    Haha. I think it would be nice to have a "Ask a Verizon Rep" thread like AT&T has where only reps can respond. Would prevent people from guessing at answers. However, I think that would be a voluntary type deal and unfortunately Volunteering doesn't pay the mortgage (Maybe Obama will though?) :P
    03-18-09 04:45 PM
    yeah i would try and sweet a CS rep into backdating a data plan for that treo by using you (new 2 year contract) as a bargaining chip. Goodluck man. Hope it works out for you.
    03-18-09 04:57 PM
    (Maybe Obama will though?)
    Will he personally show up at my door, pay my bills, tell me how to dress, what I can eat, who I can listen to on the radio, take my guns & tap my BlackBerry?

These bozos can't competently run government and yet there are people wanting them to take over our businesses & make decisions for us.

Come over for dinner, oh King Hussein of America. I want to have a John Wayne/Chuck Norris kind of chat with you.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-18-09 05:04 PM
    I thought he would Twin? I keep expecting a full gas tank when I wake up in the morning, my cell phone bill paid and my house payment paid for me. I mean we're taxing the rich people more, why am I not getting more money from those evil corporations?!
    03-18-09 05:07 PM
    Back to the OP. JJ, have you had any credits in the past for overage? Do you pay your bills on time? If you plan on adding the line in the future, I recommend doing it now and using that as a bargaining chip.
    We've never asked or received any credits in the past. When we went over on minutes, we paid for them. Been on bill pay for as long as I can remember.

I was holding out for the Niagra, but given the circumstances I'll likely need to hold off. Can you sign a two year agreement without buying a phone upfront (use my 8830) and then re-up when a new device is released to receive the discounted price?
    Last edited by JJDub; 03-18-09 at 10:10 PM.
    03-18-09 10:07 PM
    You can't sign an agreement but you can add another line, you would be eligible to get the phone at a 2y price at anytime you wanted. You could try using that if you wanted to.
    03-18-09 10:25 PM
    Any update from the OP?

03-20-09 01:54 PM
    love the storms cant afford them prob gonna sell them
    03-21-09 12:49 PM
    Doesn't VZW require a data plan with the treo, or any of the smartphones for that matter?!? Thats been their policy for a while now.

My wife tried a treo 700p a while back. We did the swap online through her account, and it made her sign up for a data plan. She had two options, a 29.99 plan ( I think it was 50MB, might be wrong) and an unlimited option for 44.99. I think thats what they were, I could be a little off on both. She ended up going back to her razr after a couple months, and we had to unsubscribe from the smartphone plan.

I guess I dont understand how you got the treo on your account without a data plan. Even if you had gotten the limited one, it wouldnt have been 1100 bucks. I was under the impression that even the moto Q required a data plan because it was a windows phone.

VZW guys, arent I right about this? Something doesnt sound right here.
    03-21-09 03:08 PM
    If the op had the treo prior to VZW requiring the data. When I had my 700p I never had a data plan because of how crappy palm os was. The friend I sold the 700p still has the phone and no data plan because she had it prior to them requiring it.

03-21-09 03:23 PM
    If the op had the treo prior to VZW requiring the data. When I had my 700p I never had a data plan because of how crappy palm os was. The friend I sold the 700p still has the phone and no data plan because she had it prior to them requiring it.

He said they got the phone about a month ago. Its been about a year now since my wife had her palm, and they were requiring data plans then.
    03-21-09 03:26 PM
    Well I was dead wrong, I guess you can still pay by the KB with the smartphones. Nevermind my post!
    03-21-09 03:28 PM
    For ANY smartphone purchased 11/08 or later, a data plan is required. If a WinMo/Palm phone was originally purchased 10/08 or before, it isn't required, but extremely recommended.

03-21-09 03:42 PM
    You can go on the VZW website right now, add a palm treo and choose the pay per KB option. I thought for sure they required a data subscription with a smartphone.

With the pay per KB option, they charge $15/MB Thats crazy expensive!!!
    03-21-09 04:02 PM
    As for advice and updates -- try the vzw online consumer forum, and the "my account" forum to be specific. Some reps happened to check in and got me in touch with someone with enough discretion to break from the script. Nightmare over. Ours are obviously different scenarios but it's worth a shot.

03-24-09 07:53 PM
    As for advice and updates -- try the vzw online consumer forum, and the "my account" forum to be specific. Some reps happened to check in and got me in touch with someone with enough discretion to break from the script. Nightmare over. Ours are obviously different scenarios but it's worth a shot.
    DID YOU GET FIXED UP FINALLY???

03-24-09 08:00 PM
    Much like Funnystuff - we had a family issue come up over the last 2 weeks which dwarfed my concern regarding this bill, hence the delay in my action and response.

Anyway, this was my first experience with VZW CS, and I came away very impressed. The rep listened to me, he took a look at our 5+ year spotless payment history and usage history, and agreed to backdate a 29.99 data plan and credit the difference (over $950). Even if he hadn't agreed to credit us the entire difference, I appreciated the fact that he listened to me. He took his time and looked at all the facts and made sure that everything I was telling him (dates, comparing what I was saying to what my wife stated when she called in) matched up with what he had on record. He didn't jump to any conclusions or accuse me of anything.

As I stated above, I'm currently on a month to month on an 8830. When the Niagra hits, which he admitted was on the way, I'll be signing a 2 year unlimited BB plan with Tethering. Maybe I got lucky with the CS rep that I received today, however comparing this to every other call center experience I've had, this CS rep stood out as one of the best.

Funnystuff - glad to see you got yours taken care of as well. I hope your family situation is working out. BTW - I did receive your PM, however I couldn't respond as I didn't (and still don't) have 10 posts.

Thanks to all (well......most) in this thread for your helpful advice and positive outlook. It was/is appreciated.
    03-28-09 01:07 PM
    I knew they would do that from what you've told me. I would have done the same thing. Glad you got it fixed up!
    03-28-09 01:57 PM
    Just read everything. What a mess.
    JJ, glad you got it all taken care of.

lol and this is a prime expample of why VZW now requires data plans on smart phones.
    03-29-09 05:06 AM
    Great news that you got some satisfaction. Amazing how simple it seems when it actually happens, no? You should have see the dance I did when it was all over. The build up is the agonizing part... Thanks for your thoughts about my family -- we're all making peace with our new roles after the passing of the clan's matriarch. I hope your family is doing well.
    03-31-09 04:05 AM
45 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD