03-31-09 04:05 AM
45 12
tools
    Here's the background -

About 1 month ago, my wife bought a used Palm Treo 700W. She switched her number from her Moto Q to the Palm via the VZW website (she bought her Moto Q used as well and it was dying quickly).

I went in to the VZW store last week to sign up for a month-to-month unlimited plan with a used 8830 (just left T-Mo after 2.5 years). I inquired about adding me to our existing family share plan when I take the plunge with a new 2 year agreement (and a new Niagra). As the VZW rep looked up our share plan to see if it would work, he gets a real weird look on his face while reading his computer screen (you guys know where this is going).

He proceeds to tell me that my wife has racked up over $1000 in data charges in the last 25 days (real weird look on face transfers from him to me).

Fast forward to the evening and I spoke with my wife. She hadn't used the phone for anything other than calls and SMS. I took a look at the phone and there I found multiple email accounts (gmail, ymail, msn), gps, and wireless sync was set up for just about every program that I could find on the darn thing including software updates, file backup, and full device backup. I stopped looking after that out of frustration (with the $$ and dealing with WinMo).

Needless to say, my wife didnt have a data plan and she had no idea what programs and connections were on this thing (or even that this cute little turd had some of these capabilities). Nor did she realize that these things were running on her phone 24/7.

She called Verizon and the rep offered to shave off $500 if she bought a new BB and signed up with a new 2 year agreement with unlimited data plan. Wow thanks. What a bargain, effectively a $700 Storm.

Now dont get me wrong, Im typically a buyer beware guy, but I cant believe that VZW doesnt have some type of monitor/program that shows when someone who has never used data before is suddenly streaming through their phone 24/7, on a non-data plan none-the-less.

$1100 for 66MB (< .7 gig) of data? At that price youd think they were paying an army of people to type in all the 0 and 1 bits as they were sent to her phone.

Im not expecting to get out of this for free, but given the situation I feel their offer was far from reasonable; especially considering weve been loyal VZW wireless customers for well over 5 years with a share plan that has ranged from 2-5 phones. Not to mention I'm planning on adding my $125/month BB plan to VZW in the near future.

Any suggestions on where we go from here?
    03-17-09 10:43 PM
    Half off a legitimate charge sounds like a good deal to me.

$700 for a Storm sounds a lot better than $1000 for 66MB of data.
    03-17-09 11:17 PM
    So then how did the multiple emails get setup on the device if your wife wasn't messing with anything outside of voice and sms functions?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-17-09 11:26 PM
    I could see $1.99/MB for about $132 in data.

03-17-09 11:27 PM
    So then how did the multiple emails get setup on the device if your wife wasn't messing with anything outside of voice and sms functions?

Whose email accounts are they?

They very well could belong to the previous owners of the device. That would still leave it up to you to know and control though.
    03-17-09 11:31 PM
    Whose email accounts are they?

They very well could belong to the previous owners of the device. That would still leave it up to you to know and control though.
    Correct, everything that was set up was from the previous owner. When I pointed them out to her, she called the previous owner and let him know and then I proceeded to delete them.
    03-17-09 11:36 PM
    I wipe used toilet seats before I use them. This seems like a good time for you to take the same policy with used phones.

Unfortunately you are responsible for the charges. It's not Verizon's or anyone else's job to keep an eye on what your phones are doing.

----------------
    Now playing: Pelican - A Delicate Sense Of Balance
    via FoxyTunes
    03-17-09 11:44 PM
    I wipe used toilet seats before I use them. This seems like a good time for you to take the same policy with used phones.

Unfortunately you are responsible for the charges. It's not Verizon's or anyone else's job to keep an eye on what your phones are doing.

Yeah, wiping it sounds like a good idea; get rid of someone else's crapola.

----------------
    Now playing: Pelican - A Delicate Sense Of Balance
    via FoxyTunes

03-18-09 12:21 AM
    Here's the background -

About 1 month ago, my wife bought a used Palm Treo 700W. She switched her number from her Moto Q to the Palm via the VZW website (she bought her Moto Q used as well and it was dying quickly).

I went in to the VZW store last week to sign up for a month-to-month unlimited plan with a used 8830 (just left T-Mo after 2.5 years). I inquired about adding me to our existing family share plan when I take the plunge with a new 2 year agreement (and a new Niagra). As the VZW rep looked up our share plan to see if it would work, he gets a real weird look on his face while reading his computer screen (you guys know where this is going).

He proceeds to tell me that my wife has racked up over $1000 in data charges in the last 25 days (real weird look on face transfers from him to me).

Fast forward to the evening and I spoke with my wife. She hadn't used the phone for anything other than calls and SMS. I took a look at the phone and there I found multiple email accounts (gmail, ymail, msn), gps, and wireless sync was set up for just about every program that I could find on the darn thing including software updates, file backup, and full device backup. I stopped looking after that out of frustration (with the $$ and dealing with WinMo).

Needless to say, my wife didn’t have a data plan and she had no idea what programs and connections were on this thing (or even that this cute little turd had some of these capabilities). Nor did she realize that these things were running on her phone 24/7.

She called Verizon and the rep offered to shave off $500 if she bought a new BB and signed up with a new 2 year agreement with unlimited data plan. Wow – thanks. What a bargain, effectively a $700 Storm.

Now don’t get me wrong, I’m typically a “buyer beware” guy, but I can’t believe that VZW doesn’t have some type of monitor/program that shows when someone who has never used data before is suddenly “streaming” through their phone 24/7, on a non-data plan none-the-less.

$1100 for 66MB (< .7 gig) of data? At that price you’d think they were paying an army of people to type in all the “0” and “1” bits as they were sent to her phone.

I’m not expecting to get out of this for free, but given the situation I feel their offer was far from reasonable; especially considering we’ve been loyal VZW wireless customers for well over 5 years with a share plan that has ranged from 2-5 phones. Not to mention I'm planning on adding my $125/month BB plan to VZW in the near future.

Any suggestions on where we go from here?
    I'd call back and try to bargain. They might have some more they can shave off. Tell them you will add that 8830 on an unlimited plan w a 2 year agreement. You will be able to upgrade to the niagara still but order it through customer service, not a sales rep. I'm not sure if it'll help, but I'd try. Also unlimited plans are at least 130 w no text messaging.
    03-18-09 12:26 AM
    People are such rude jerks on here... they act like they never make mistakes! Jesus!

I hope you figure something out, that has to suck big ****.
    03-18-09 12:27 AM
    I used to work for Verizon and they used to have a det that watched out for anything like this that was unusual for your line. Not sure what happened in this particular instance. You should probably try talking with a Supervisor or Manager. The rep that offered the 500.00 credit if you purchased a Storm and signed a 2 year agreement probably could not do more than a credit for 500.00(different tiered reps are only allowed to give certain amounts for credits). If you have been a loyal customer and nothing like this has EVER happened in the past it is likely that they might do a one time re-rate of the bill and only charge you for the plan. We used to have to do this a lot for customers (before nationwide plans) who thought that their night and weekend minutes worked where ever they were. I hope that this helps and good luck.
    03-18-09 12:31 AM

Thanks for adding so much to the discussion. I'll think of you every time I use a public restroom. I should have known better than to expect actual advice when I posted this in the forum that is trolled by the GDATV (The Great Defender of All Things Verizon).

I never said we weren't responsible for the charges, my issues are 1) the rate at which it is charged versus what it cost to provide, and 2) the apparent lack of any consideration regarding a customer's account and payment history.

I'm not looking for a handout (read my sig for goodness sake), just a reasonable compromise.
    03-18-09 12:38 AM
    I'd call back and try to bargain. They might have some more they can shave off. Tell them you will add that 8830 on an unlimited plan w a 2 year agreement. You will be able to upgrade to the niagara still but order it through customer service, not a sales rep. I'm not sure if it'll help, but I'd try. Also unlimited plans are at least 130 w no text messaging.

That looks like the route I'm headed. Appreciate the advice.

I'm on a 450 min, unlimited data, full messaging plan with tethering as well, but my corporate discount brings it down to ~$125/month.
    03-18-09 12:46 AM
    if the billing period hasnt ended you may be able to get them to backdate the data plan. i had this done with text messaging a while back when i went over by like $300. i was sooooooooo thankful to the cs rep who did this!
    03-18-09 01:05 AM
    if the billing period hasnt ended you may be able to get them to backdate the data plan. i had this done with text messaging a while back when i went over by like $300. i was sooooooooo thankful to the cs rep who did this!
    Great idea! Get on the phone FAST!

Better yet, this got me to thinking... call up CS, sound all disconcerted because someone in the store told you what your bill was. Tell them, I THOUGHT I HAD UNLIMITED DATA! Don't sound angry, sound distressed, as in, "please tell me this is just a billing error."

Go a step further & tell them the wife was sure she ordered the data plan online.

$5 says they fix it.

03-18-09 01:19 AM
    I used to work for Verizon and they used to have a det that watched out for anything like this that was unusual for your line. Not sure what happened in this particular instance. You should probably try talking with a Supervisor or Manager. The rep that offered the 500.00 credit if you purchased a Storm and signed a 2 year agreement probably could not do more than a credit for 500.00(different tiered reps are only allowed to give certain amounts for credits). If you have been a loyal customer and nothing like this has EVER happened in the past it is likely that they might do a one time re-rate of the bill and only charge you for the plan. We used to have to do this a lot for customers (before nationwide plans) who thought that their night and weekend minutes worked where ever they were. I hope that this helps and good luck.
    Phone reps can apply any credit a supervisor can, the credit just has to be approved and any reasonable credit is approved. Anything over 50% wouldn't really be justified though.
    03-18-09 01:26 AM
    The re-rating or back-dating are the two best solutions.....with three teenage kids that have phones I have come across all possible problems....
    03-18-09 01:31 AM
    Great idea! Get on the phone FAST!

Better yet, this got me to thinking... call up CS, sound all disconcerted because someone in the store told you what your bill was. Tell them, I THOUGHT I HAD UNLIMITED DATA! Don't sound angry, sound distressed, as in, "please tell me this is just a billing error."

Go a step further & tell them the wife was sure she ordered the data plan online.

$5 says they fix it.

2nd that! i also got charged like $400 when i got my centro a while back. i had data the day before and the day after. for some reason i didnt have data on one day. they fixed it on my next bill. went from $700 to the normal bill almost instantly.
    03-18-09 01:33 AM
    Now those sound like viable options, and you really didn't know that these things were set up on your device, you should be able to work something out that will help you get through this snafu.

If anything, this has been a valuable lesson to pass along to everyone, be careful when getting a used device, verify that you have no leftovers to clean up.

Best of luck in smoothing this rough spot, and smile, this too shall pass, and now you have an interesting experience to share down the road. Ciao!

03-18-09 02:09 AM
    Reading this thread actually gives me more hope for a merciful solution for my "gulp" moment ($660 for a few average days' worth of data when coverage lapsed without my knowledge). For those that have followed that drama on the "is anybody else sick of...." thread in this forum -- I'm still waiting on a "contact us" call back. From what Weekendbum wrote, tomorrow may just be the day of reconcilliation. Today was a day of major heart-attack-simulating chest pains.
    03-18-09 04:11 AM
    And people wonder why we require data plans. I'm helping IRT out today. (Internet Response) Funnystuff. It would be funny if I came across your email. Oh look, the email that just came across is about someone getting data charges who didn't do anything.
    Last edited by Weekendbum; 03-18-09 at 04:11 PM.
    03-18-09 04:07 PM
    Back to the OP. JJ, have you had any credits in the past for overage? Do you pay your bills on time? If you plan on adding the line in the future, I recommend doing it now and using that as a bargaining chip.
    03-18-09 04:18 PM
    I'm helping IRT out today. (Internet Response)
    You left out the definition for "T"

To VZW, I think it is "Internet Response TEAM.

To AT&T fanboys, it is probably "Internet Response THIEVES.

03-18-09 04:18 PM
    It is Internet Response Team and man this is so much more relaxed than taking calls.
    03-18-09 04:28 PM
    Weekendbum, You should see if you can be the head of newly created "Crackberry VZW CS\Tech Team" There are enough people on here that can keep you employed for just that. Maybe a little partnership is in order. We already have our resident infrastructure guru. Thanks Twins!
    03-18-09 04:38 PM
45 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD