i wanted to know, is it possible to use a blackberry verizon as a normal regular blackberry phone?...i dont care about all the features of CDMA etc as im from south africa, i just want to utilise it as any regular blackberry that uses gsm and a sim card...this is referring to the blackberry internet service(BIS) setup.
    02-13-12 01:34 AM
    Both types are normal, and you can use a VZW BlackBerry on GSM, so long as it's a world phone. That includes:
    All OS7 phones offered
    02-13-12 07:37 AM
    Wulf. Will they get full speed with any of those phone on any gsm network? I know some cdma world phones will work on a gsm network but they are limited to 2g speeds due to frequencies used.
    02-13-12 09:15 AM
    yeah, its on the list. i have the 9630...how do i go about the setup?
    02-13-12 09:26 AM
    Wulf. Will they get full speed with any of those phone on any gsm network? I know some cdma world phones will work on a gsm network but they are limited to 2g speeds due to frequencies used.
    Excellent point. It's designed to work on most 3G networks, but I don't know which the OP will be on.

Wireless Networks
    * Fully-functional World Phone that supports global roaming on 3G networks
    * Quad-Band: 850 / 900 / 1800 / 1900MHz GSM/GPRS/EDGE networks
    * Single-Band: 2100 MHz UMTS/HSPA networks
    * Dual-Band: 800/1900 MHz CDMA/EVDO Rev A networks

yeah, its on the list. i have the 9630...how do i go about the setup?
    Should be just a matter of inserting the SIM card, after contacting the carrier and acquiring a BlackBerry data plan. The phone would activate on their network, and deliver the service books required.
    02-13-12 09:34 AM

Wireless Networks
    * Fully-functional World Phone that supports global roaming on 3G networks
    * Quad-Band: 850 / 900 / 1800 / 1900MHz GSM/GPRS/EDGE networks
    * Single-Band: 2100 MHz UMTS/HSPA networks
    * Dual-Band: 800/1900 MHz CDMA/EVDO Rev A networks
    The UMTS band restriction means that one cannot use UMTS/HSPA in North America with these phones. For example, on at&t, it is GSM/GPRS/EDGE only.
    02-13-12 12:50 PM
    The best thing to do is get a new unlocked GSM Blackberry such as the Bold 9790 or the Torch 9860 with OS7 and use it with any GSM carrier in your area.

You can unlock your Blackberry Tour and use it with SIM cards from other carrier but i think you will enjoy more if you will get a device that can work with the bands of the carrier you are willing to use at most.
    Last edited by blackberry-unlocking710; 02-13-12 at 03:00 PM.
    02-13-12 02:57 PM
    i have a data plan, i also have a list of service books but the last 5 of them on the list dont seem to be active. is this a case of just calling my carrier and request they resend me service books???
    02-14-12 11:01 AM
    no reply??? anyone???
    02-21-12 04:10 AM
    Yes, you need to contact your carrier.
    02-21-12 05:35 AM
    I don't know why but when I got a 9930 for Verizon I brought here in Bangladesh and got it unlocked. Then went to try and get BIS services, I ordered the blackberry plan, etc but for some reasons the guys at grameenphone couldn't get it to work, even after I dialed ##000000 and changed my number. Can someone help me out? Right now I'm using it without BIS and am getting internet through Opera and for some reason mchat works but no email or native browser
    03-16-12 08:13 AM
    I don't know why but when I got a 9930 for Verizon I brought here in Bangladesh and got it unlocked. Then went to try and get BIS services, I ordered the blackberry plan, etc but for some reasons the guys at grameenphone couldn't get it to work, even after I dialed ##000000 and changed my number. Can someone help me out? Right now I'm using it without BIS and am getting internet through Opera and for some reason mchat works but no email or native browser
    Doesn't sound like you've received your service books. Have you logged on here, set up your email accounts, and sent the service books to yourself?
    03-16-12 08:31 AM
    Both types are normal, and you can use a VZW BlackBerry on GSM, so long as it's a world phone. That includes:
    All OS7 phones offered
    World phone or not, you can't use a Verizon phone on a U.S. GSM network without a plan from one of, (AT&T or T-Mobile), those networks..... The only reason they have GSM in them is for international use, and is still billed through the original, (Verizon), carrier......
    03-16-12 11:57 AM
    Wrong, muzichead.

The GSM radios in the Verizon world phones (other than the 8830) will work on EDGE on GSM networks in North America. They are not only for international use. No 3G in North America, however.

They can be unlocked and used TMobile, AT&T, Rogers, Fido, etc in North America.

You would definitely need a proper data plan and the Service Books loaded from those carriers in order for it to work, however. And at that point it would not be "billed through Verizon".

None of that, however, has anything to do with the situation in the OP.
    03-16-12 12:36 PM
    Wrong, muzichead.

The GSM radios in the Verizon world phones (other than the 8830) will work on EDGE on GSM networks in North America. They are not only for international use. No 3G in North America, however.

They can be unlocked and used TMobile, AT&T, Rogers, Fido, etc in North America.

You would definitely need a proper data plan and the Service Books loaded from those carriers in order for it to work, however. And at that point it would not be "billed through Verizon".

None of that, however, has anything to do with the situation in the OP.
    World phone or not, you can't use a Verizon phone on a U.S. GSM network without a plan from one of, (AT&T or T-Mobile), those networks..... The only reason they have GSM in them is for international use, and is still billed through the original, (Verizon), carrier......
    Not sure as to where I was wrong in this equation as you pointed out, (in different words), the exact thing I said.... The only fault I had was not pointing out that you would have to unlock the phone..... I don't see you correcting BigBadWulf for being wrong for the comment he or she made..... I was merely pointing out that the Verizon version of the phone "as is" will not work with a GSM carrier in the U.S. in its current form.... It is a CDMA phone with the other radio's built in "originally" for international use on an international network.....
    03-16-12 01:11 PM
    BigBadWolf wasn't wrong in anything he said.

This statement that you made "The only reason they have GSM in them is for international use, and is still billed through the original, (Verizon), carrier...... " is entirely wrong (except for the 8830).
    03-16-12 01:17 PM
    Not sure as to where I was wrong in this equation as you pointed out, (in different words), the exact thing I said.... The only fault I had was not pointing out that you would have to unlock the phone..... I don't see you correcting BigBadWulf for being wrong for the comment he or she made..... I was merely pointing out that the Verizon version of the phone "as is" will not work with a GSM carrier in the U.S. in its current form.... It is a CDMA phone with the other radio's built in "originally" for international use on an international network.....
    This statement that you made "The only reason they have GSM in them is for international use, and is still billed through the original, (Verizon), carrier...... " is entirely wrong (except for the 8830).
    As being built "FOR VERIZON" I was not wrong..... This was taken from Verizons site...

Global Ready

Customers must activate pre-installed SIM Card and a Global Service plan or feature to enable roaming outside of the U.S. in GSM and UMTS Network.
    International Roaming (CDMA) is available on all Verizon Wireless devices and does not require an activated SIM Card. (Global Data Plan or Feature is suggested)
    For Outside of the U.S. Services, Rates, Coverage, and Countries by Technology please visit https://forums.crackberry.com/e?link...token=B1LTgA4l

The phone "out of the box" from Verizon "will not" work on a U.S. GSM carrier.... It is a CDMA phone and the phone number is programmed to the phone, "not the sim card" as a GSM carrier does....

Yes, if you unlock the phone it will work on a U.S. GSM network and I never disputed that. I "admitted" that I should've included that bit of info, but as to the rest I suggest you go and research the differences between CDMA and GSM networks.....
    Last edited by muzichead; 03-16-12 at 01:46 PM.
    03-16-12 01:43 PM
    As being built "FOR VERIZON" I was not wrong..... This was taken from Verizons site...

Global Ready

Customers must activate pre-installed SIM Card and a Global Service plan or feature to enable roaming outside of the U.S. in GSM and UMTS Network.
    International Roaming (CDMA) is available on all Verizon Wireless devices and does not require an activated SIM Card. (Global Data Plan or Feature is suggested)
    For Outside of the U.S. Services, Rates, Coverage, and Countries by Technology please visit https://forums.crackberry.com/e?link...token=zM6Ueb1h

The phone "out of the box" from Verizon "will not" work on a U.S. GSM carrier.... It is a CDMA phone and the phone number is programmed to the phone, "not the sim card" as a GSM carrier does....

Yes, if you unlock the phone it will work on a U.S. GSM network and I never disputed that. I "admitted" that I should've included that bit of info, but as to the rest I suggest you go and research the differences between CDMA and GSM networks.....
    I don't care what the EULA says, when I forgot to switch my VZW locked 9650 off global after an OS upgrade, I found myself roaming on T-Mo a few miles from home. It had antenna issues, so I probably can't replicate it on my current 9930. Still have no clue how your posts have in any way helped those with questions here. One was in South Africa, the other in Bangladesh.
    03-16-12 02:01 PM
    I don't care what the EULA says, when I forgot to switch my VZW locked 9650 off global after an OS upgrade, I found myself roaming on T-Mo a few miles from home. It had antenna issues, so I probably can't replicate it on my current 9930. Still have no clue how your posts have in any way helped those with questions here. One was in South Africa, the other in Bangladesh.

Yeah the EULA is there for the rare occasions but yes I sold my 9650 to a friend on tmobile and he's still using it. Only needs email and bbm.

Sent from my BlackBerry Bold 9900 using Tapatalk
    03-17-12 12:21 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD