10-10-09 12:36 PM
93 1234
tools
    I'll probably do a first impressions and then a follow up after playing with it for a bit.

Have you seen the Nokia N900? Now that's a sick looking device and looks to rival the iPhone with memory and capabilities.

Nokia USA - Nokia N900 - Products
    that nokia phone look pretty sweet also but, i thought they only made GSM phones?
    10-06-09 02:40 PM
    Dude really should learn to read the posts fully. He was stating Sprint dropped their plan prices.

As far as equipment prices are you telling me that Verizon or other carriers don't drop equipment prices as they age or don't sell as anticipated? So with your line of thinking Verizon was in trouble and attempting to stay afloat by offering Buy one BB get one free?

So which one are you?

I'll go back to my intelligent conversations with the other members.
    C'mon Mr. English grammar! I was following a train of thought that you followed back only as far as you wanted. I have highlighted the pertinent part of your post that applies to the following.

blue_and_bold said
    Its good to see sprint dropping all their prices to stay afloat
    You questioned him
    What prices have dropped?
    and he answered
    The everything plan price dropped.
    I added another price drop to back up the original claim. Where in that do you get plan prices only?

Also, I never stated nor implied that Verizon didn't drop prices. All carriers do for the reasons you mentioned and others, including selling phones off in anticipation of or because of a replacement (iPhone 3G to iPhone 3Gs and Storm to Storm 2.)
    The point is that Verizon isn't losing customers like Sprint and they aren't cutting plan prices like Sprint. As a matter of fact, they are actually raising prices, to wit, the mandatory data plans for some phones that are not BBs.
    10-06-09 02:41 PM
    that nokia phone look pretty sweet also but, i thought they only made GSM phones?
    According to the stats on their page it's a quad band phone supporting both GSM & WCDMA. My bet is their poising themselves to be the next world phone.
    10-06-09 02:45 PM
    C'mon Mr. English grammar! I was following a train of thought that you followed back only as far as you wanted. I have highlighted the pertinent part of your post that applies to the following.

blue_and_bold said
    You questioned him and he answered

I added another price drop to back up the original claim. Where in that do you get plan prices only?

Also, I never stated nor implied that Verizon didn't drop prices. All carriers do for the reasons you mentioned and others, including selling phones off in anticipation of or because of a replacement (iPhone 3G to iPhone 3Gs and Storm to Storm 2.)
    The point is that Verizon isn't losing customers like Sprint and they aren't cutting plan prices like Sprint. As a matter of fact, they are actually raising prices, to wit, the mandatory data plans for some phones that are not BBs.
    Piece it together how you like, the fact remains that he was speaking of plan prices, he continues to support his claim of price dropping with examples of plan pricing, which by the way aren't accurate.

You certainly did imply that Verizon didn't drop prices by specifically pointing out the price drop of the Pre and relating it Sprints attempt to stay afloat.

Oh for the record grammar and reading comprehension are two different animals.
    Last edited by ERDude; 10-06-09 at 03:00 PM.
    10-06-09 02:50 PM

Like a pug and a beagle... but you need em both to make a puggle...
    10-06-09 02:53 PM
    Like a pug and a beagle... but you need em both to make a puggle...
    And that sir doesn't apply to grammar and comprehension. You are, well most people are, able to comprehend what people are trying to say even though they may not have the best grammar skills.
    10-06-09 03:00 PM
    Here is what looks like a sneak peak at Verizon's first Android device. Speculation is that it will drop in November.

Verizon HTC Hero Coming In November? | Android Phone Fans
    10-06-09 03:07 PM
    Not bad..............
    10-06-09 03:14 PM
    Not bad...............
    I will definitely be looking forward to your review.....
    Trendy here's the link to the 3 part review of the Sprint Hero, which now that we know the first Verizon device is going to be HTC we know it will have the HTC Sense UI overlay giving you the 7 home screens as opposed to 3 that are standard on the Android OS.

Blog Archive Leakdroid Phone Review Series – Sprint HTC Hero (w/ Videos)
    10-06-09 03:18 PM
    U know I just had a though; this sends out a big screw u to APPL
    This also sends a slightly smaller screw you to RIM. Looks like Verizon is backing another horse now. With the return rates on Storms and Tours, it's hard to blame VZW.
    10-06-09 07:05 PM
    Here is what looks like a sneak peak at Verizon's first Android device.
    First Android device? What about the Sholes/Tao/Droid and the HTC desire? Those 2 should be dropping before the hero unless the HTC desire is the VZ hero.
    10-06-09 07:41 PM
    wow this is huge news.. best network in the land finally gets a decent phone. RIM is gonna hurt from this move.. BB's were the best and really only quality smartphones Big Red had to offer and now, the Android devices running on Verizon's network are going to beat out the BB's.. Guess that means AT&T will keep the iPhone like all of us users have been saying all along. Its still by far the best device out there and wont suffer any from this move by Verizon. The iPhone is so much better for me than any other device that the network almost doesnt matter. However, Verizon customers get HUGE benefit from this move. Goodbye Storm and Tour, hello Android as the flagship models..
    10-06-09 08:59 PM
    RIM is gonna hurt from this move.. BB's were the best and really only quality smartphones Big Red had to offer and now, the Android devices running on Verizon's network are going to beat out the BB's..
    In the long run, yes - RIM will be in a world of hurt, but Android is only part of it - Microsoft is now seen to be awakening & Nokia is making a return to the US market.

It is a very good time to be into smartphones and a very bad time to be naively tied to a single platform, available only through a single manufacturer.

Yes, that was a shot at both RIM & Apple - overall, they both suck - Apple just sucks a little less.
    10-06-09 10:06 PM
    Speaking of Nokia have you been able to lay hands on a N900 yet Twins? That device looks incredible and I have watched all the videos I could find but would like to get some opinions from people who are using them here. I keep hoping it will make its way to VZW and is available at a decent price. I would prefer Maemo 5 over Android.
    10-06-09 10:36 PM
    Speaking of Nokia have you been able to lay hands on a N900 yet Twins? That device looks incredible and I have watched all the videos I could find but would like to get some opinions from people who are using them here. I keep hoping it will make its way to VZW and is available at a decent price. I would prefer Maemo 5 over Android.
    Still not yet - unless I want to buy one outright. I have too many mobile devices as it is... was hoping for an eval unit.

That OS is something, though. The interesting thing is, those who know it well & have experience with WM7 say WM7 is superior.

And as for the continuing saga between capacitive & resistive, the N900 is resistive. Supposedly Nokia tested it both ways & found that a huge majority preferred resistive for it. Go figure.

Although resistive is a whole lot lighter.
    10-06-09 11:14 PM
    Since VZW and Google just signed an agreement. I wonder
    N don't soil your knickers

Rumor: HTC Touch HD2 to run Android | Google Android Blog
    10-07-09 08:46 AM
    2010 is going to be on **** of a year....
    10-07-09 08:58 AM
    Piece it together how you like, the fact remains that he was speaking of plan prices, he continues to support his claim of price dropping with examples of plan pricing, which by the way aren't accurate.

You certainly did imply that Verizon didn't drop prices by specifically pointing out the price drop of the Pre and relating it Sprints attempt to stay afloat.

You are one dense dude. You are the one who goes to a post that you think proves your point even though I led you back to a post that says otherwise:
    Its good to see sprint dropping all their prices to stay afloat
    What part of ALL do you not comprehend?

If I call you a tool, that doesn't imply that I don't think blue_and_bold isn't a tool. So, if I state that Sprint is dropping prices on the Pre (for whatever reason), it doesn't mean that I don't beleive that Verizon is/has dropped prices (for whatever reason.)

True that grammar and reading comprehension are two different animals but it still doesn't change the fact that you fail at one of the two.
    You correct people on bad English but can't stand to be corrected yourself on your ability to comprehend English.
    10-07-09 10:45 AM
    You are one dense dude. You are the one who goes to a post that you think proves your point even though I led you back to a post that says otherwise:
    You jump into a conversation to backup one of your Verizon brethren who obviously didn't know what he was talking about. In an effort to support his fight you bring up the fact that Sprint has lowered the price of Pre as a means to stay afloat (main topic of conversation). When you're called on your reasoning behind your claim you attempt to sway the facts of the debate in another direction.

Again you can try all you want to sway facts of the conversation. You tried to present the reduction of handset prices to bolster the argument that Sprint is lowering prices to stay afloat which was refuted using simple logic and comparison to all carriers doing the same.

Fact: Sprint has not lowered the pricing on their plans, they've added Any Time Any Mobile to their Everything Plans.
    Fact: All carrier reduce prices on handset as new handsets come on the market, age, or don't sell as expected.

You can continue with the insults and name calling all you'd like, it proves that you're unable to have a mature and intelligent conversation. The facts speak for themselves!

Up until this point I have stuck with the facts of the conversation but you sir are an id1ot of untold magnitudes.
    Last edited by ERDude; 10-07-09 at 11:40 AM.
    10-07-09 11:23 AM
    Quote: Its good to see sprint dropping all their prices to stay afloat
    What part of ALL do you not comprehend?
    For the record Sprint DID NOT DROP PRICES ON ANY PLAN. They added 'anymobile anytime' to an existing rate plan at $69.99 which included 450 daytime minutes and unlimited data,text etc. The unlimited everything (calls to landline,mobile, data etc) is still offered for a single line at $99.99 as well as the 900 minute everything plan at $89.99. All of these plans now include anymobile anytime. Value was added prices did not drop. Sure there will be customers who can now downgrade from either the $89 or $99 plans to the 450 minute plan if they primarily call mobile numbers but that is still not a price drop even though could be a revenue drop for Sprint if they don't add new subscribers to offset those downgrading plans. Hope this helps jahoobob to understand and maybe this thread can get back on topic.
    Last edited by gsoscott; 10-07-09 at 06:39 PM.
    10-07-09 12:04 PM
    I can't see it severely impacting RIM as they do have a very loyal following, both in the corporate and private sectors.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-07-09 02:56 PM
    I can't see it severely impacting RIM as they do have a very loyal following, both in the corporate and private sectors.
    I don't know about all of that supposed loyalty. Two to three years doesn't equate with loyalty in the mobile phone business, yet most current BlackBerry owners didn't have a BlackBerry even that long ago.

AT&T has seen a huge number of customers come over from other carriers for iPhone. They've also seen a rather large number of conversions from BlackBerry.

No matter what the fad of the moment is, most people would drop that fad in a heartbeat if something better came along. Google is better known than RIM & something both Google & Microsoft are better at than RIM is online integration. People these days want that online integration. I can get push email from both Google & Microsoft. I can sync with Google, using Android without any gyrations. I can backup not only contacts, but email, text messages, images & apps using WM through Microsoft's My Phone. Using either Android or WM, I can Twitter, Facebook, MySpace, blog & edit Web pages without addons.

Take away the new BlackBerry enthusiast - those who are on their first or second model - many of whom jumped on board simply because it wasn't an iPhone & look at how many customers RIM has left. Then tell me how many companies could weather such an exodus.

All it will take is a proven product & a change of consumer attitude. We know how quickly consumer attitude can change. All we need is the product. Those products are here or arriving soon.

10-07-09 04:07 PM
    just curious as I do not yet know a lot about Android OS.

How does the system handle email? Does it have an email client like winmo or Palm?
    10-07-09 05:17 PM
    You can backup e-mail, messages and such on a blackberry, too, using Backup and restore program in DM. AT&T did see an increase in volume for the junkphone, but the way apple is spitting out new junkphones I know quite a few owners who are thoroughly disgusted with the whole product line. Also, a lot of people still don't like AT&T's 3G "coverage" or even their voice "coverage." Mostly what sells the junkphone is the sheer number of apps and integration with itunes. So far, those are really the only reasons to own a junkphone, and most of that can be handled with an itouch.

I just don't think that RIM'll let themselves be knocked down too badly, they'll make badly needed upgrades before that. From what I understand, the 5.0 OS is quite awesome.

10-07-09 05:17 PM
    You can backup e-mail, messages and such on a blackberry, too, using Backup and restore program in DM.
    Correct, but lose that BlackBerry when away from the computer you backed up to & you may be stuck. With the Google & Microsoft options, you have full access from any computer in the world, even if you don't have a phone to back up to. Alternately, I can drop my TP2 overboard on my boat, pick up a Pre, a Storm, a G1 or a public computer & get my contacts, ringtones & more.

You can sync to Google with a BlackBerry, but not anything like you can with an Android or WM device.

10-07-09 06:23 PM
93 1234
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD