I used to have an 8703e on my family's plan. Without going into too much detail, my mother is horrendous with money issues. The contract is long expired, but she still owes money on the account.

The phone has been sitting in my closet in its box for almost a year and a half now. I have since purchased a Curve on my own plan and two days ago upgraded to a Tour. I do not need the 8703e at all anymore.

I was hoping to get rid of the phone via Ebay. I don't even care how much money I get for it, it just drives me crazy to see a fully-functional blackberry in a box in my closet.

Does anyone know if there are any rules against selling/giving away this phone? I'd hate for someone to get it and then find out it couldn't be activated because of its account's past.

Thanks for any feedback you have for me.
    12-30-09 05:12 PM
    If the phone was active on a past due account then the ESN is blacklisted until the account is paid.
    12-30-09 05:20 PM
    If it has been over a year since it was on the account and it was a past due balance, then you should be fine. By now it has been written off to a collection agency I would assume.
    12-30-09 06:30 PM
    or you can just sell the phone and say it has a bad esn and maybe someone can use it for parts?
    12-30-09 09:05 PM
    Thanks everyone for the quick replies. If I do sell it, I'll be sure to mention that it's only good for parts.
    12-30-09 09:17 PM
    Thanks everyone for the quick replies. If I do sell it, I'll be sure to mention that it's only good for parts.
    You can verify easily enough that the 8703e is or isn't blacklisted by simply doing an ESN change on your account and updating BIS with its PIN. If it works, you're good to go. If not . . . parts is parts
    12-31-09 06:38 AM
    Or call a store and have them check to see if the ESN has been blocked. This will allow you to check without having to change your own equipment
    12-31-09 05:12 PM
    Just call 611 and they will tell you.
    12-31-09 05:25 PM
    I will buy it from you.
    12-31-09 05:30 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD