Does anyone know for sure that if I buy a new phone at Best Buy that it will not void my grandfathered unlimited data plan at Verizon?
    12-20-11 03:58 PM
    All you need to do is give Verizon a call after you upgrade to the new phone. They can obviously see that you've previously had the unlimited plan, so they'll just add it back on for you.

I upgraded a 9650 to a 9930 like a month ago for my brother. The phone call to Verizon took me about 4 minutes...
    Mr.Monty likes this.
    12-20-11 04:06 PM
    When i tried at best buy, they told me that i had a pick a new plan. I didnt push the issue, just went to VZW store to get my phone. Didnt want to chance losing my unlimited plan
    12-20-11 04:14 PM
    When i tried at best buy, they told me that i had a pick a new plan. I didnt push the issue, just went to VZW store to get my phone. Didnt want to chance losing my unlimited plan
    I ordered mine through BestBuy.com, and yes, you do need to pick a plan when buying the phone. But after activating it, you can call Verizon and have them switch it back to the unlimited plan.

I hate Best Buy, but a few weeks ago they were selling the 9930 for $100, when it was $200 at Verizon. I tried to get Verizon to match the price, but they wouldn't.

Either way, you're still able to keep the unlimited plan...
    12-20-11 04:21 PM
    Thanks guys! I'm very wary of losing this unlimited plan...as you can see.
    12-20-11 04:50 PM
    Sounds like the data plan is safe.

But I have an older PHONE (calling?) plan - it has less minutes and is cheaper that is grandfathered. I don't even use the minutes I have (300 or so???). When I tried using the Radio Shack $9.99 option, you could only opt for a more expensive calling plan and was afraid that I'd lose my existing plan. Anyone know about calling plans as opposed to data? (maybe I should start a new thread?)
    12-21-11 11:01 AM
    F2, I'd maybe just give Verizon a call quick and ask, but I'm sure you'll be just fine keeping your plan. All you're doing is extending your contract for 2 years when you get a discount on a new phone, so I don't see any reason why they would force you into a new, more expensive plan.

I personally feel asking someone at Verizon (over the phone, not the dumba$$es in stores) questions like these is much better than posting here on CB. Sure, you might get a Verizon rep in here that knows, but are you really willing to trust them?

SuperMario is the only Verizon person I trust around here, but I haven't seen him for a while...
    12-21-11 03:53 PM
    Best Buy won't grandfather but if you can find a similar price on amazon, do that instead. Amazon gives you the option of keeping unlimited data when you upgrade your existing line.

Sent from my VZW Thunderbolt.
    12-23-11 03:09 PM
    Best Buy won't grandfather but if you can find a similar price on amazon, do that instead. Amazon gives you the option of keeping unlimited data when you upgrade your existing line.

This is so very wrong. Best Buy actually does grandfather you.
    12-23-11 04:10 PM
    This is so very wrong. Best Buy actually does grandfather you.
    I say that based on experience. Go to best buy and try to upgrade your phone. They will either tell you to change your data plan or change you over without telling you.

Everyone else here in this thread. Is saying that you have to call VZW afterwards and have it changed back. Sorry but that is NOT grandfathering on Best Buys part.

For this reason, I do not suggest people upgrade their lines through BB if they want to be careful.

12-24-11 12:50 PM
    I say that based on experience. Go to best buy and try to upgrade your phone. They will either tell you to change your data plan or change you over without telling you.

Everyone else here in this thread. Is saying that you have to call VZW afterwards and have it changed back. Sorry but that is NOT grandfathering on Best Buys part.

For this reason, I do not suggest people upgrade their lines through BB if they want to be careful.

I work at Best Buy. I do grandfathering for unlimited data on a daily basis. I actually did 4 lines just this morning for a customer.
    12-24-11 06:28 PM
    I work at Best Buy. I do grandfathering for unlimited data on a daily basis. I actually did 4 lines just this morning for a customer.
    You're definitely one of the few. According to people in this thread, you have to call VZW to get unlimited back. BB sales people told me that if I upgraded through them, I'd have to change my data plan to the most current.

12-24-11 07:05 PM
    You're definitely one of the few. According to people in this thread, you have to call VZW to get unlimited back. BB sales people told me that if I upgraded through them, I'd have to change my data plan to the most current.

Well according to someone who works at best buy (me) who does this everyday at work, best buy can grandfather unlimited data.
    ambarmetta likes this.
    12-25-11 10:24 PM
    MissJennell:

Can they also grandfather phone/calling plans? I've got an older one that I prefer since it has fewer minutes and lower charges.
    12-27-11 01:38 AM
    MissJennell:

Can they also grandfather phone/calling plans? I've got an older one that I prefer since it has fewer minutes and lower charges.
    We can only if that plan is compatible with the new phone. Our system reads vzw's system so if they said no it'd be a no on our side too.
    12-27-11 11:20 AM
    We can only if that plan is compatible with the new phone. Our system reads vzw's system so if they said no it'd be a no on our side too.
    I guess I can make a trip to Verizon and see if my calling plan would transfer - it has for about 4 phone changes in the past including my 8830WE, Bold 9650 (which replaced my faulty Tour).
    12-27-11 12:22 PM
    Hi,

I upgrade from a Strom2 to the Torch 9850. Radio Shack was having a special on the Torch for 99.00. I called VZW and asked if they had any Torch 9850 avail. to order. The Rep. said, why yes, of course!

I asked how much and he said 199.00. with a new contract/renewal for term. I asked if this would effect my plans (Voice/Text/Data, ALL UNLIMITED for 89.00/month. He said no, just adding a new phone to current plan. Just a new 2 year commit.

Ok, Fine. Now I said Radio Shack has this phone on sale for 99.00. Can you match it? Or I can go to the Radio shack and buy there. At first he said that price was for "NEW" contracts. I said yes, a new contract, BUT NOT A NEW PLAN.

After about 15 seconds, he came back and said he can match the 99.00 price on the phone, will send it out via Fed-Ex, and NO, it will NOT change your plan whatsoever. You are just signing off on a new 2 yr contract of service. Not the type of service.

BUT, as always, when you do switch/upgrade your phone, MAKE SURE you get them to acknowledge that there will be no change in plan(s), just a new phone and a new 2 yr. service contract.

I love "Grandpa"...........

C
    03-07-12 01:32 PM
    I managed to "purchase" a Verizon 9930 from Best Buy during their Presidents' Day Sale. The price was ZERO/FREE. My calling and data plans were left intact.

I had called Verizon and ask if they could price match, even a $99 phone and they said NO. Only required extending my contract the two additional years.
    03-09-12 07:15 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD