06-29-12 05:50 PM
63 123
tools
    Problem with that is Verizon is still going to get more money out of your pocket screwing you royally because Verizon marks up there prices on phones you buy outright. For example: Sprints price on the 9930 Bold is $499, Verizons is $599. So you are damned if you do, damned if you don't.
    Maybe it depends on what area you are in, but Verizon shows $509 for the full price of the 9930 to me.
    05-18-12 08:55 PM
    So if I have a 3G phone and plan now, I have to upgrade to a 4G phone AND PLAN to get the benefits? Like I can't put a 4G phone on my 3G plan and expect 4G?
    That's correct.

However, like they're saying above if you buy the new phone at full retail price instead of upgrading on a two year contract you can keep your current plan.

I'm not sure how long VZW will even allow that though. They seem to want everyone on a tiered plan.
    05-18-12 09:17 PM
  3. T
    What's next, back to $1.50/min phone calls like when cell phones came out in the late '80s?
    05-18-12 10:30 PM
    What's next, back to $1.50/min phone calls like when cell phones came out in the late '80s?
    That would put them in a bind. They would probably go $3.00 per minute because of inflation from 1980 to today.
    05-19-12 12:11 AM
    This is so dou chey of them.
    05-19-12 03:36 AM
  6. T
    So a one minute and one second call will cost $6.00??? I wouldn't be surprised with these "tiered" antics.
    05-19-12 06:44 AM
    That's correct.

However, like they're saying above if you buy the new phone at full retail price instead of upgrading on a two year contract you can keep your current plan.

I'm not sure how long VZW will even allow that though. They seem to want everyone on a tiered plan.
    so they can charge you overages.
    05-19-12 09:18 PM
    This isn't a surprise but it still stings. I use 4-5GB of data a month because I use bridge, GPS , Slacker and tether.

I was loving my unlimited plan.
    Same here. I use Slacker heavily and average 4 gigs a month. The $30 plan on 3g only yields half of that. And my guess is that 4g plans will cost more than 3g counterparts.

Hold on tight friends. This will be brutal.
    05-20-12 01:15 PM
    ....Hold on tight friends. This will be brutal.
    Yes it surely will. I think Craigslist is going to get a lot busier.
    05-20-12 08:11 PM
    I would love to see an oil company get in front of investors and announce their plans to get more money out of their customers. I cannot see this going over well, especially with the current economy.
    05-20-12 08:46 PM
    I use around 3 to 4 GB a month which I don't consider heavy at all, but Verizon does and they've been throttling me so bad it's painful. I fear this is how they're going to play. Not sure what I'll do, but as has been stated it is going to be brutal with V pulling out all the stops as the days and weeks pass. I would need a 5 GB plan at $50 a month which is a $20 increase. I was afraid these days were coming.
    05-21-12 01:53 AM
    As the carriers drive up the cost of ownership you will see a drop in sales and a lot of unpaid accounts. I see a few friends already going prepaid unlimited and getting away from post paid accounts.
    I don't use much data each month but still taking away the unlimited plans was wrong.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9930 using Tapatalk
    05-21-12 06:47 AM
    As the carriers drive up the cost of ownership you will see a drop in sales and a lot of unpaid accounts. I see a few friends already going prepaid unlimited and getting away from post paid accounts.
    I don't use much data each month but still taking away the unlimited plans was wrong.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9930 using Tapatalk
    What carriers offer pre-paid unlimited? And is their coverage good?
    05-21-12 07:58 AM
    Is sprint still doing unlimited? Maybe they will take a run at vzw's customers?
    05-21-12 09:08 AM
    Is sprint still doing unlimited? Maybe they will take a run at vzw's customers?
    I would take an increase before going to Sprint. I had them twice and thought some years between each contract would have improved their coverage and voice quality, but not for me. They roam on Verizon, but in order to trigger roaming you have to be in a non coverage area, not just a crappy for coverage area. Sprint just isn't worth it for what you get IMHO.
    05-21-12 11:24 AM
    I'll likely stay VZW then. I've heard Sprint Is crap here.
    05-21-12 11:27 AM
    The age old saying "you get what you pay for" rings true. I'll pay the extra if I have to, I may not like it, but I want the best and the best costs the most. Verizon's coverage is second to none and that's important to me in a big way. Folks who spend most of their time in a city might find Sprint adequate. Just depends on your situation. I had Sprint where it wouldn't work in the basement but wouldn't roam on Verizon either. Verizon in the same basement had full 3G service. Sprint is just sub par. No thanks.
    05-21-12 11:33 AM
    In the last 8 month's Verizon's network hasn't exactly been running with no problems. When the 4g dies, it takes the 3g down with it in some cases. Plus verizon have you paying for things that I get for free on Sprint like navigation that isn't restricted to VZW Navigator which is nothing but Telenav. Around DC area Sprint's 3G network is faster than Verizon's. It all depends on area and who exactly is controlling what. While Sprint throws no roadblocks up on Verizon roamers, can't say the same for Verizon. This has been going on for a while.
    05-21-12 11:40 AM
    Problem with that is Verizon is still going to get more money out of your pocket screwing you royally because Verizon marks up there prices on phones you buy outright. For example: Sprints price on the 9930 Bold is $499, Verizons is $599. So you are damned if you do, damned if you don't.
    I'd much rather be damned and pay extra for a phone off contract and keep my unlimited data than go on contract and lose my data. I use way too much a month to switch to one of the new plans without being taken to the cleaners more than I am now.
    05-21-12 01:19 PM
    I wonder if the lack of 4G in a certain region would be grounds for them to have to offer to keep unlimited. Upgrading isnt just about the network speed its also about the device. If my hometown area does not have 4G, then I am not getting the added functionality and therefore should not have to pay the price of losing unlimited.
    05-21-12 02:36 PM
    It's not just 3G to 4G upgrades. If you upgrade with discount, any phone at all, you'll lose unlimited data. I upgraded 2 days ago and was able to keep unlimited data so I'm good for 2 years. I don't know what I'll do in the future. We'll see.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2
    05-22-12 10:39 PM
  22. T
    If I had to pay full price for a phone, I certainly wouldn't give the money to my carrier. I'd rather give the money to Best Buy or RIM directly if possible.
    05-22-12 11:42 PM
    Yeah if I were to keep unlimited, I would just buy a phone off contract, maybe off of ebay.

Posted from my Droid Razr Maxx.
    05-24-12 08:31 PM
    I am also on the Unlimited plan, I have my phone utilize my wifi when I am home. 3 phones and only .345GB used in 20 days so far. So if it came down to not having a choice I would be ok with it, not saying it is right, I use FB, Twitter, News, Banking, Stocks, App World browsing as well as downloading apps and themes almost daily. My Playbook I do not tether hardly at all. I use my iPod Touch for all my music. I am however going to sign the petition and send it on to my FB and Twitter friends. Economic Justice Petition: Stop Verizon from killing unlimited data plans for existing subscribers. | Change.org
    05-25-12 12:19 AM
    It is also worthwhile to mention that VZW is holding a promo for people who get 4G devices. You can get 4GB of data for $30. If I had to lose unlimited, I think I would be okay with a 4GB plan. But definitely, definitely not a 2GB one. That is far too small.
    05-25-12 12:30 AM
63 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD