11-27-08 02:36 PM
32 12
tools
    Just got my new Verizon Curve 8330 FedExed to me today. Downloaded Google Maps and was surprised to see it automatically showed my location! Anyone else have their GPS unlocked or should I worry that it will disappear from my phone?
    11-11-08 03:28 PM
    Google maps will only give a radius that you are in, it wont pin-point your location like VZ Navigator or other GPS services will.
    11-11-08 03:36 PM
    How close is the GPS point. My guess is that it is over 1500m. If I am right you are getting that from cell towers and GPS is still locked. VZ Navigator is the only GPS I know of that works on Verizon phones.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-11-08 03:38 PM
    Check your OS. A friend of mine upgraded to 4.5, and it no longer works.
    11-11-08 03:39 PM
    At the moment it says 700m so maybe it is just cell towers, but being new to BB and hearing everything about Verizon locking GPS, this is still better than I expected.
    11-11-08 03:45 PM
    I upgraded to version 4.5 and Google Maps still works for me. 2700 meters where I live.

11-11-08 04:27 PM
    I'm seriously dissapointed in people.

That's not GPS, that's "My Location Beta". GPS is accurate to within 3 meters people.
    11-11-08 04:28 PM
    LOL..... Unless you have the means to hard code the phone itself as well as a miracle mystery service book from Verizon, you wil never get the GPS unlocked. I switched to Sprint and I'm so glad I did... "simply everything" plans are much cheaper than paying add on fees for data, navigation software, etc! GPS with Sprint is completely unlocked plus you get unlimited minutes and TV!!! Verizon can stick their GPS up their !$@!!!!!
    11-15-08 06:02 PM
    Check your OS. A friend of mine upgraded to 4.5, and it no longer works.
    Mine works fine with OS 4.5 I don't pay to use the gps, but use the my location beta (triangular) with google maps.
    11-15-08 08:41 PM
    Mine works fine with OS 4.5 I don't pay to use the gps, but use the my location beta (triangular) with google maps.

Again, not true GPS, cell triangulation sucks...
    11-15-08 09:12 PM
    Again, not true GPS, cell triangulation sucks...
    OF COURSE IT IS NOT GPS. Like i said it is triangulation. I said I am not PAYING Verizon for a GPS service. Triangulation does suck. It is not very accurate if you want to find your exact location, instead of a general area.
    Personally, I don't use my phone for a GPS. ( Although I do wish it was unlocked).
    Sometimes I use google maps if I am in a different city, just to find restaraunts, etc. Triangulation is just fine then, because you aren't trying to find out where YOU are, but rather where buisness are located.
    I think this thread was started by someone who "thought" he was getting a GPS signal, and that is the only reason I responded. It was not to say that Google maps "My Location" was compareable to a GPS.
    11-15-08 11:04 PM
    And that is the reason i left verizon i wanted the bb curve, didnt really need the gps but the point of me having to pay for something that they cripple is crazy.

$10 a month for a service that is free to use no thank you! And i know what some will say im paying for their gps maps but sorry vz navigator maps are not needed to receive a satalite signal.

Verizon loves to cripple their devices and add their programming so you have to pay them for it. They did it to their bluetooth as well. I was tired of having to pay for me to put my own ringtones on the phone.

I was with verizon for 6 years and the service was great except i got tired of the nickel and diming.
    11-16-08 09:34 AM
    If ya want your gps to work on a vzw bb I do believe that a gps puck will be the only way for it to work the way ppl want it to and besides that to add a third party app the puck is the only way

11-16-08 07:33 PM
    I have tried to get googlemaps and it always states that gmaps does not support rim does anyone have the link? I have been going to google.com/gmm

11-17-08 05:23 AM
    I wouldn't pay for VZ Nav. The Google maps is fair with the triangulation. I have gotten as close as 500 meters, but that is now way like GPS which would put you inside 10 meters usually. Google has all the info you need on their mobile verisons from their web site.
    11-17-08 08:27 AM
    google maps is great, but its not turn by turn--which for some is big help and is even a safety issue.

Trying to look down at your phone while driving to a new location could easily cause an accident
    11-17-08 11:38 AM
    google maps is great, but its not turn by turn--which for some is big help and is even a safety issue.

Trying to look down at your phone while driving to a new location could easily cause an accident
    VZNav is also not the only app that can do voice turn by turn for BB so don't put those Verizon blinders on just yet.
    11-17-08 11:46 AM
    First off let me say, it sucks that VZ cripples their devices and I wish I had access to the GPS. That being said I don't and VZ Navigator is an awesome program that I have no problem paying $10 a month for. Especially when you consider the alternative. AT&T, no thanks I enjoy never dropping calls and having reception while I am on the lift in the middle of the Rockies. Sprint, please, this company is going nowhere fast and I would hate to be associated with a dying company. I won't even mention T-mobile and the numerous problems that plague their service. So take your pick. GPS is very useful, but it's not why I bought my BB. If GPS is THAT important to you then pay the $10 and quit whining. If you don't like it take your business to one of the other providers, all of whom Verizon is leaving in the dust.

Cheers.
    11-18-08 04:26 PM
    i travel the pa turnpike and the tower triangulation is damn accurate. i was really suprised. it is pretty pinpoint in an area with lots of towers. it moved with my car pretty much.
    11-18-08 09:14 PM
    First off let me say, it sucks that VZ cripples their devices and I wish I had access to the GPS. That being said I don't and VZ Navigator is an awesome program that I have no problem paying $10 a month for. Especially when you consider the alternative. AT&T, no thanks I enjoy never dropping calls and having reception while I am on the lift in the middle of the Rockies. Sprint, please, this company is going nowhere fast and I would hate to be associated with a dying company. I won't even mention T-mobile and the numerous problems that plague their service. So take your pick. GPS is very useful, but it's not why I bought my BB. If GPS is THAT important to you then pay the $10 and quit whining. If you don't like it take your business to one of the other providers, all of whom Verizon is leaving in the dust.

Cheers.
    ZOMG, I never heard that before.
    11-19-08 12:20 AM
    I wonder if it would be possible to unlock a Canadian CDMA (Tellus/Bell?) Storm and use it on VZW in the near future.
    11-19-08 12:52 PM
    VZNav is also not the only app that can do voice turn by turn for BB so don't put those Verizon blinders on just yet.
    AmazeGPS does turn by turn.

Unless you are saying it's the only app that you can run on your BB without unlocked the GPS.
    11-19-08 12:57 PM
    I believe Verizon gives 1 month free VZNav when you buy the phone. If you dont call and cancel b-4 the month is up they start to charge you.
    11-19-08 12:58 PM
    yeah, that triangulation crap is useless, and verizon is a pain in the A** for disabling the "free included" features of our phones. I didn't know they were notorious for doing that until I had my BB and signed up for Crackberry. Oh well, what you gonna do...pay them ten bucks a month for it, pay them 200 to leave, or do without GPS...DING DING DING!! I'm doing without it...LOL. Anyway, yeah, from what I can tell, when on Google, it'll tell you that if you don't have GPS that you'll see a "circle, or halo" around your general location, and what it does, from what I can tell, is simply show your location as the location of the nearest cell tower that you are getting signal from. I know nothing about meters, I live in the US, but when I'm at work, and use Gooogle Maps, it shows my location about a mile away, and lo-and-behold....a mile away....there is the big cell tower. I guess it could help you and give you turn by turn, if you knew where it was starting you from.
    11-19-08 01:27 PM
    AmazeGPS does turn by turn.

Unless you are saying it's the only app that you can run on your BB without unlocked the GPS.
    I think you read too fast. We're in agreement here, that's why I said that. Far too many people think VZNav is the only program out there that can do voice navigation (regardless of the GPS lockdown issue). Drives me nuts when people are misinformed.
    11-19-08 03:52 PM
32 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD