07-12-08 10:36 PM
33 12
tools
    Now I know that Vzn makes u pay to use their navigator service, and thats possibly the only way to use the software ON ur BB,......my question is, does that stop u from dowloading google maps and using their application to find ur way???.....for free?
    07-06-08 06:38 PM
    You can download google maps for free. You just can't use them with the internal gps. There's nothing to stop you from buying an external bluetooth gps, like the Freedom Keychain 2000, and using it. Without any gps, google maps can estimate your location, often to within 1700-m, using cell towers. With a GPS, google maps can estimate your position to 3-m.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-06-08 07:38 PM
    I have google maps on my 8830 and google maps can only approximate the location. I have never had it be right before

07-06-08 07:54 PM
    I can't see your carrier, but if it's Verizon, Google Maps can't access the internal gps. I'm unaware that any other carrier locks out the gps.

07-06-08 07:58 PM
    Try BB maps, it's awesome. I use it with the freedom keychain gps 2000. It works perfectly. Highly recommend.
    07-06-08 09:18 PM
    can a verizon user use a GPS keychain via bluetooth with an 8330? I hate that GPS is locked, but tested out VZ Navigator, and wasn't impressed.
    07-06-08 09:31 PM
    Google maps will function on your verizon device without gps. It works off the cell tower triangulations. Depending on where you live, your signal may be weaker or stronger than others. Mine, however, works great. Worst case, your location may be like a block or so off.

07-06-08 09:35 PM
    Jenaywins gets better results than most of us with triangulation, but try it, you might also get good results. I don't know any reason your 8330 couldn't be used with an external gps as well. The Freedom Keychain 2000 is the choice of a lot of us.

07-06-08 09:42 PM
    sorry - i should have been more clear...does the GPS keychain work with verizon in general?

i assume it does since you have a verizon carrier listing, but was curious - VZ nav isnt terrible, but i like the idea of using GPS with any app i choose.

thanks in advance (sorry for thread jack)
    07-06-08 10:03 PM
    The Freedom keychain 2000 will work with any bluetooth device that can accept NMEA sentences, including my laptop mapping software. It comes with no software itself. It will work with any Verizon phone.

07-06-08 10:11 PM
    excellent! thanks!
    07-06-08 11:05 PM
    I also have the verizon curve 8330. Will the keychain 2000 work well on my bb? Does it actually talk to the driver? Will it pick up my location?

Thanks
    07-10-08 12:45 PM
    The Freedom Keychain will work perfectly with your 8330. I'm not sure what you mean by "talk to the driver." The keychain just provides the gps function. You have to provide the nav software. The freedom provides your location to whatever software you are using: google maps, bbmaps, copilot, etc.

07-10-08 12:49 PM
    Try BB maps, it's awesome. I use it with the freedom keychain gps 2000. It works perfectly. Highly recommend.

I meant will it give you verbal directions as well as written ones such as a typical gps such as the NUVI2000?

Rochelle
    07-10-08 12:59 PM
    I meant will it give you verbal directions as well as written ones such as a typical gps such as the NUVI2000?

Rochelle
    The Freedom Keychain GPS 2000 is simply a receiver that sends coordinate information to another device; it's pretty useless by itself. It's not a full GPS navigation device like a Tomtom or Nuvi. You need to use it in conjunction with software loaded on your Blackberry to obtain spoken or displayed directions, as JeffH pointed out above.
    07-10-08 01:23 PM
    Will it give spoken directions with just the bb maps program on verizon?

Rochelle
    07-10-08 02:00 PM
    Again, the freedom keychain 2000 is simply a gps receiver, nothing more. It has no display or audio output. It provides the gps location info to whatever program you are using it with. Voice Navigation, turn-by-turn directions, etc, are a function of the software, not the GPS receiver.

Last edited by JeffH; 07-10-08 at 03:34 PM.
    07-10-08 02:45 PM
    Will it give spoken directions with just the bb maps program on verizon?

Rochelle
    BB Maps does not provide spoken turn-by-turn directions. Neither does Google Maps.

VZ Navigator, for $10/month, will provide turn-by-turn directions, spoken street names, local POI search and other features. It does not require an external GPS such as the Freedom Keychain to work, as it is designed to use the internal GPS in the Blackberry.
    07-10-08 03:46 PM
    That's a good point re VZNav. It gets good reviews. CoPilot also gives spoken directions with an external GPS if you can't or won't subscribe to VZNav.

07-10-08 03:55 PM
    That's a good point re VZNav. It gets good reviews. CoPilot also gives spoken directions with an external GPS if you can't or won't subscribe to VZNav.

Unfortunately, the VZW version is still lacking some important features of versions available on other phones. One I'd really like to see added is real-time traffic info.

There was supposed to be an update available shortly after the release of the Curve. Guess it wasn't quite ready for prime-time.
    07-10-08 07:20 PM
    So do our CDMA 8330's have GPS inside, but only active with VZW Nav? If that is the case I would wonder if there was some way to enable it with a "hack" so to speak.

07-10-08 09:19 PM
    So do our CDMA 8330's have GPS inside, but only active with VZW Nav? If that is the case I would wonder if there was some way to enable it with a "hack" so to speak.

You, and literally hundreds of others. I don't mean to dismiss your musings, but it seems that the "hack the berry to enable GPS" thing comes up pretty regularly on the BB forums I frequent, and no one's been able to figure out how yet. Not for lack of trying, believe me . . .
    07-10-08 10:51 PM

You might find this thread interesting reading: http://forums.crackberry.com/f61/gps...0-update-1279/
    07-10-08 11:10 PM
    If I d/l vzn and use an external receiver, will I be able to use the vzn software?

Rochelle
    07-12-08 08:43 AM
    If I d/l vzn and use an external receiver, will I be able to use the vzn software?

Rochelle
    It should be possible, by selecting the external GPS as the source rather than the device GPS. I can't verify that, however. Why would you not use the device GPS?

07-12-08 09:23 AM
33 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD