Didn't I hear Verizon loosened up on third party GPS. Ever since I canceled VZ nav my BB maps GPS won't work.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-20-09 09:01 PM
    BBmaps should be working -even without VZNav. Try resending your serivce and check to make sure permission for the BBMaps are set to allow.
    04-20-09 09:03 PM
    Did that, but still getting the "searching for satellites" but it just stays on that screen.I just thought it was funny as soon as I canceled my Vz nav this started happening...
    04-21-09 12:24 AM
    lastraid is right, VZNav is independent to BB Maps. If it says searching for satellites, make sure you're not in a building. If you're not, try doing a battery pull, *228 option 2, then go to options -> advanced options -> host routing table then press the blackberry menu button and click register now... If that doesn't work, make sure you have the 4.5 OS, if you still have the 4.3 os, the GPS isn't open to BB Maps.
    04-21-09 12:37 AM
    BBMaps works fine on my girlfriend's Pearl and she's never subscribed to VZNav.

Also works find on my roommate's Curve and they never had VZNav either.
    04-21-09 12:38 AM
    Another thing - make sure your GPS is set to Location On & not just 911 Only

04-21-09 01:04 AM
    One thing I have noticed is that when I hit "find location" and "where I am," I get the "searching for satellites" box that will never go away.

When I hit "start GPS navigation" it will connect to the satellites in 15 to 30 seconds.

Not sure why this is...
    04-21-09 07:48 AM
    One thing I have noticed is that when I hit "find location" and "where I am," I get the "searching for satellites" box that will never go away.

When I hit "start GPS navigation" it will connect to the satellites in 15 to 30 seconds.

Not sure why this is...
    Never thought I'd say this, but RicanMedic is right. I have the same issue with my Curve. It only works when I start GPS navigation.
    04-21-09 02:49 PM
    I think RicanMedic is LEFT but in this case he may be correct! (gd&r)
    04-21-09 06:57 PM
    Never thought I'd say this, but RicanMedic is right. I have the same issue with my Curve. It only works when I start GPS navigation.
    Guys - it only makes sense that you START GPS NAVIGATION before it will FIND LOCATION or tell you WHERE AM I.

If you read the manual, it tells you such things, but even without that, you can't expect the car to go before you start the engine.

Logic is a terrible thing to waste.

04-21-09 08:11 PM
    Guys - it only makes sense that you START GPS NAVIGATION before it will FIND LOCATION or tell you WHERE AM I.

If you read the manual, it tells you such things, but even without that, you can't expect the car to go before you start the engine.

Logic is a terrible thing to waste.

I've push started many a car Also, try parking on a hill with my stick shift... Release my e-brake, and it's going before I start the engine. I don't have my Curve activated to try it. But enough with being silly. Starting Blackberry Maps on the Storm, and pressing "Find Location" then "Where I am", it will locate you without starting GPS navigation. _BUT_ clicking on start gps navigation saves 3 steps.
    04-21-09 09:10 PM
    Is GPS enabled for ALL 4.5 versions for Curve? Or just after a certain release?

Verizon support finally has 4.5 on their site, but I thought I saw somewhere that only 4.5.0.xxx were compatible with BBMaps and GPS.
    04-22-09 10:37 AM
    its only enabled for BBMaps and VZ Nav with 4.5. Locked for everything else unless you have a storm
    04-22-09 04:20 PM
    Is GPS enabled for ALL 4.5 versions for Curve? Or just after a certain release?

Verizon support finally has 4.5 on their site, but I thought I saw somewhere that only 4.5.0.xxx were compatible with BBMaps and GPS.
    Verizon's 4.5 version has been out since Oct. 31st last year. And the version they released is capable of working with VZ Nav and Blackberry Maps only, no other 3rd party apps ( like Google Maps ).
    04-22-09 09:30 PM
    I have Done ALL THESE THINGS and Still Get Searching for Sattelites --- WHY??
    05-03-09 09:47 AM
    I have a pearl, but I never start GPS until after I do where am I and put in an address.

05-03-09 09:52 AM
    I have Done ALL THESE THINGS and Still Get Searching for Sattelites --- WHY??
    I get the same thing if I hit "find location" and "where I am."

However, if I hit "start GPS navigation" alone, it will find me. I still don't know why it freezes up on searching for satellites using the first method.
    05-03-09 11:55 AM
    No No Rican I thimk u Mis Understand me -- When I hit any GPS FUNCTION Start GPS Find My Location doesnt matter it does NOT link to any Satelites at all -- Im Really Pulling my hair out over this

Peace
    Dan
    05-03-09 01:11 PM
    No No Rican I thimk u Mis Understand me -- When I hit any GPS FUNCTION Start GPS Find My Location doesnt matter it does NOT link to any Satelites at all -- Im Really Pulling my hair out over this

Peace
    Dan
    then my issue is a separate one. As for yours, I can only think to ask, are u running official 4.5 OS? Set permissions to allow, and make sure ur data is active, make sure u have a somewhat clear line of sight to the sky. After that, I don't know...
    Last edited by RicanMedic78; 05-03-09 at 01:21 PM.
    05-03-09 01:18 PM
    also keep in mind...blackberry app world has some cool apps that are similar to vz navigator & free!
    05-03-09 01:20 PM
    then my issue is a separate one. As for yours, I can only think to ask, are u running official 4.5 OS? Set permissions to allow, and make sure ur data is active, make sure u have a somewhat clear line of sight to the sky. After that, I don't know...
    All My settings are Correct -- funny thing is my Wife and I got our phones the same day and hers works (I SET IT UP Same as mine) But mine doesn't -- Its wierd but like I said Im pulling my hair out big time over this

Peace
    Dan
    05-03-09 01:24 PM
    My Verizon 8330 sometimes has trouble finding satelites too. I can always get it to start back working by doing either a battery pull for 10 minutes and/or resending service books. Some times a soft reset works. Hope this helps you.

05-23-09 06:46 PM
    also keep in mind...blackberry app world has some cool apps that are similar to vz navigator & free!
    3rd party GPS apps won't work on a Curve... Only VZ Nav, Telenav, and Blackberry Maps ( with 4.5 OS ).
    05-24-09 12:02 AM

Not sure why this is...

yupz this happens sometimes but most the time on my storm I use the google maps and I just hit find location and it does the same thing you mentioned here.
    05-24-09 02:54 AM
    So when is Verizon going to pick up the ball and let us use 3rd party GPS apps on the Curve too? Or do they want us to buy the Storm so they can get rid of the Curve?
    06-22-09 11:48 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD