02-08-09 09:06 PM
296 ... 7891011 ...
tools
    I have yet to get it working at all.

If I hit the find location - I get the searching for satellites message - and I've let that run for a while, and nothing. The start GPS nav - only puts up "space = hide dashboard" message.

Nope. Nuthin.
    strangely this is the same message that i got today as well.

i am attributing it to the overcast skies.
    12-10-08 01:27 PM
    I do have a question. Im all for Vzw unlocking the Gps and what not. That would be great...but since it seems like they aren't going to, and seeing as they give no love to us 8830 users. Would it be advisable to just pony up the 10 bucks a month for the next 7 months (when I can upgrade) then go from there?

If I do that, will the GPS work with Google Maps, and other 3rd party apps?

I'm sure this question has been asked, I just can't seem to find an answer for it.

Thanks in advance.
    12-10-08 03:09 PM
    Overcast skies will not interfere with radio signals, which is what GPS is using.

My problem is now that BBMaps works, neither BBMaps or VZNav are reliable. VZNav get my location correctly , but won't update as I move (in follow me mode), and BBMaps goes searching for satellites so often that if doesn't accurately pin point me unless I'm stationary.
    12-10-08 03:10 PM
    i agree.

i figured that the overcast skies were not the issue, but i couldn't figure out what else it could be. it takes forever for me to get a lock on a satellite (when it does work) and then, like you said, it will constantly search for satellites if i am moving.
    12-10-08 03:45 PM
    I tried everything suggested - *228, resent service books, edited permissions, checked options, uninstall/reinstall BB Maps and it just doesn't work for me (inside or outside) I'm on the 4.5*77 install from Verizon. I click on Start GPS Navigation and I don't even get a dashboard. The space bar does not toggle it. I tried calling Verizon but the telephone rep said he didn't see anything from them that "officially" says it's unlocked.

Not that I used BB Maps all that much, it would be nice to get it to work as such things irk me when they don't.

Congrats to those for which it works.

Just an after thought. Could it be bacause of my companies BES?
    Last edited by omalarsons; 12-11-08 at 04:08 PM.
    12-11-08 04:04 PM
    Yes. That could be the reason.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-11-08 05:01 PM
    is bb maps the only gps app that the gps is unlocked to?
    12-11-08 07:30 PM
    yes and Pay(VZNAV)
    12-11-08 07:34 PM
    I resent service maps - now I get BB Maps to work.

Pretty cool.....
    12-11-08 10:37 PM
    Newbie here :
    Can you tell me if using GPS is a data plan requisite or actually the other way around? I currently am not sure how this GPS function is used. I just received this device and have a data plan and will most likely drop it after a month. Will the GPS function work with another app other than the one that came with this unit from AT&T (TeleNav)?
    I have Orange as my carrier and recently upgraded the OS from 4.2 to 4.5.0.99.
    12-12-08 09:50 AM
    Without data all you will have Is a phone and calendar. The data is what makes a BB a BB. Many carriers will not allow a BB to work without data.

12-12-08 10:17 AM
    I followed up with my company's IT and they confirmed our BES does not block GPS.
    12-12-08 10:38 AM
    I cannot get this to work for me. I have an 8330 and I am using 4.5.0.97 with BB maps version LBS1.2. I have changed the permissions to allow on everything. The GPS is set to Device and location on. In BB maps the GPS Source is set to internal GPS. I have done a battery pull, resent the service books, done the *228 option 1 and option 2 and I am still getting nothing.

I still get the "Searching for Satellites" every time I try it. I am standing in the middle of an open area in downtown Atlanta too.

I also called Verizon the other night and spoke with 3 different techs.

#1 told me that the Curve 8330 did not offer a GPS option and that I would not be able to get it to work ever.

#2 told me that BB Maps is a third party app and they do not support it and could not help me.

#3 actually got an 8330 with 4.5.0.77 installed and walked outside to try and get it to work. When he could not get it to work he went to some of the other techs who actually use BBs and none of them had 4.5.0.77 installed so he couldn't get proper information. (All the techs had 4.5.0.97 or higher installed)

Can anyone think of a reason that this might not be working for me?

The only 2 things that I can think of are:

1-I never installed 4.5.0.77. I went right from 4.5.0.56 to 4.5.0.97.
    2-I have VZNav installed on the phone.
    12-12-08 10:53 AM
    OMG I thought you all were crazy and I just tried it on my curve 8330 and lo-and-behold BBMaps is working!! YAHOO!! Its about time.
    12-12-08 11:51 AM
    I have an 8330 with 4.5.0.77 and this is my opinion:

BBMaps w/ GPS
    • Loads faster
    • responses faster with GPS navigation; loading the next set of maps
    • DOES NOT determine the best route; it wanted me to go on side streets with many stop signs instead of a major road

VZNav
    • Takes a VERY long time to load
    • Takes a long time to load the first map with GPS navigation
    • does a VERY good job to determine a route to travel

BBMaps is fine for a "show me where I am traveling" application but I will not trust it for getting directions.

Just my 2 cents. But they are in Euros so they are worth more.
    12-12-08 01:55 PM
    ok ... go to options>> advanced options>> applications>> scroll down to BB maps>> hit the BB button >> go to edit default permissions>> make sure all 3 say "Allow" and you should be good. Just make sure under advanced options and GPS, its also set for "location on"

I think GPS only works with 4.5 os, nothing lower...
    Thanks Rican, works great!
    12-14-08 11:08 AM
    I have been happily using BB Maps on my Verizon Pearl 8130 for about a week, but in the last 24 hours, I can no longer display maps at a zoom level less than 5. At any zoom level of 4 or less, my display shows hash marks and says "No Data Available." In other words, the maps don't work at the neighborhood level. Could it be that Verizon has blocked that functionality, or is it just something wrong with my phone?
    12-14-08 03:57 PM
    I am also having problems getting BBmaps to track my position. I think it is irrelevant as to whether you have "track up" or "north up selected". However I think the cause of the problem is when touch the trackball. I seem to have no problems if i activate gps navigation and never touch it again.
    12-14-08 03:58 PM
    Is this still working for people? It used to work for me but in the last couple of days i can't get my phone to track my position in BBmaps anymore.
    12-15-08 12:42 PM
    I have not had problems.

12-15-08 12:43 PM
    I have been using bb maps for a bit now, ans while it is fast, and accurate, it doesn't do much other then tell me where I am. Vznav is full of options, but is slow to load, and a memory hog. I would love it if I could cross breed the 2, but oh well.

12-15-08 07:52 PM
    I have an alltel with 4.5, and found that I couldn't get several gps apps to work. (Alltel was locked just like verizon until I updated to the newest 4.5 OS)

But, for those programs that won't work, I found a work around. If I start gpsed, let it get a lock, and leave it running in the background, I found that ANY program can use the gps on my phone.

It's worth a try.
    12-15-08 08:26 PM
    I was just told the device GPS only works for 911 And VZN? I tried with BB maps and it does not work???
    12-15-08 09:27 PM
    I have a seperate GPS receiver that is BT and i can't get it to connect.
    12-15-08 09:29 PM
    Well verizon tech support told me earlier this eve that the gps would not work on BB maps, only VZN or 911. that was wrong because my wife and i both have storms and i just got BB maps with device GPS working on both.
    12-15-08 10:24 PM
296 ... 7891011 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD