02-08-09 09:06 PM
296 ... 678910 ...
tools
    Inside my office by the window I get 9 connections... (SAT) then outside I get 11(SAT). not sure if it's your area where your at or maybe the weather, pretty cloudy here but still good to go.
    yea on Sat here in NYC the weather was bad, a little snow too. So I thought it might of been that reason. But the next day it wasn't working either and it was a clear day... COLD DAY (lol), but clear. I'm gonna play with it a little bit on my lunch break and see how it does. I'll report back after 12 or 1ish.
    12-08-08 09:44 AM
    NYC even with a "real" GPS is iffy if you're within the confines of the skyscrapers. Mine worked fine the 2 times I tried it in Northern NJ since it was enabled.
    12-08-08 09:53 AM
    I have tested this on my 8130 and my friend on his 8330 for VZW.

Also if you open up Google Maps, when it finds your location via Trainglulation it now also says "Waiting for GPS" so we might see this come to google maps soon!

It always said that before the unlock if you had your GPS on, so I wouldn't read into it to much
    12-08-08 12:13 PM
    Working great on my Pearl!
    12-08-08 01:04 PM
    works so far on my curve... got me inside my house near my microwave! don't know if that matters, but it seems my microwave screws up everything, so it's my fast "go to" test! haha!
    12-08-08 02:39 PM
    tried it out and worked fairly quick today. Only issue is that it only works when I start GPS Navigation

wont work if I try to find me
    12-08-08 02:58 PM
    I take the bus downtown every day and tried it out...it worked great, spot on! I have one question for everyone, during navigating at speeds above 50 mph, does the "searching for satelites" message come on randomly? Its like it has to refind the sats every once in a while...? Thanks guys!
    12-08-08 03:12 PM
    I can't find the 4.5.0.97 anywhere. Verizon has not seen it yet. the last one that we have internally is the 0.77 and mine doesn't work any ideas?
    12-08-08 03:20 PM
    I take the bus downtown every day and tried it out...it worked great, spot on! I have one question for everyone, during navigating at speeds above 50 mph, does the "searching for satelites" message come on randomly? Its like it has to refind the sats every once in a while...? Thanks guys!
    Yes, it does at these speeds for me on the train, but it seems to also "find" them much more quickly than the first time it acquires them.
    12-08-08 03:27 PM
    Installed OS 4.5.0.77 and had to re-install BB Maps. BB Maps seems to work great, but Google Maps is still a bit off on my location. Thanks to Verizon for finally doing the right thing!
    12-08-08 05:18 PM
    I uninstalled BBMaps as I liked GoogleMaps better. But it is off a weee bit in location. How can I add BBMaps back? I'm a newbie if you can't tell. -Dean
    12-08-08 08:10 PM
    i have a question? when i start the gps to take me from my location to another. the arrow pinpointing my route moves to my distination, but the screen doesn't go along with the arrow?!? i have to actually scroll to the arrow manually!!

any ideas??
    12-08-08 08:19 PM
    Yes, it does at these speeds for me on the train, but it seems to also "find" them much more quickly than the first time it acquires them.
    Cool, yeah its like it is refreshing every minute or so. Thanks for the response!
    12-08-08 10:14 PM
    i have a question? when i start the gps to take me from my location to another. the arrow pinpointing my route moves to my distination, but the screen doesn't go along with the arrow?!? i have to actually scroll to the arrow manually!!

any ideas??
    I haven't actually tried it in my car, but on the BBMaps menu you can choose between "Track Up" and "North Up" for the orientation of your route. My guess is that "Track Up" would cause the location indicator to stay more or less in the center of the display and scroll the map automatically . . . at least that's how things work on most other GPS applications.
    12-09-08 08:19 AM
    Thanks, ill make sure ill give that a try on my next distination.
    12-09-08 10:08 AM

any ideas??
    This happened to me once as well, but the next time I used it, the screen tracked my route. I chalked it up as a fluke. I've always used the "Track Up" option.
    12-09-08 10:56 AM
    Dont get me wrong, Im one of the people that banged heads with VZW Techs trying to understand why this was turned off in the first place and while I applaud VZ for giving us access to aGPS on the phones, its still not the fully autonomous GPS that the phone is allegedly capable of (I have a Pearl 8130).

I have access to BB Maps, but nothing else. I have tried Google Maps, Where, Twitter and Twibble Geotaging, I have not tried myself, but have read that photo Geotagging does not work, so Now What?

Will the other apps be able to supply an update that will allow using the aGPS Data?

Im not a Verizon Hater, I love the network and have had very few issues with them as a PHONE company, but telecom is a different world today, I expect more, most people expect more.

The Blackberry is a handheld computer that is also a phone, I want the computing ability set free, instead I hear from VZW that they dont support unauthorized 3rd party applications no kidding, neither does my ISP, if I crash my PC because I installed or mis-configured software on my PC .. Its my issue, please give me the same option for my Handheld Computer.

12-09-08 02:34 PM
    Updated my Pearl OS today, so far I like it! More free memory, runs better, and now have BBmaps! The only issue so far is that one of the videos on my SD card errors when I try to play it. I'll try re-copying it later, but I think its hosed :-(

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-09-08 05:06 PM
    any idea why it wouldn't show up? when i go to apploader, my only option is for the 3rd party apps i have installed.

running 4.5.0.97
    I'll answer my own question... I downloaded and installed the Verizon OS (VZ Curve 8330). I then downloaded 4.5.0.97 beta and deleted the vendor file. I had to uninstall .97 and go back to .77 to have all of the apps show up.

You can try to install using the AppLoader as opposed to Desktop Manager, but I did not try it nor do I know that it necessarily works.
    12-09-08 05:06 PM
    thats wha im getting too i look where i am and it just stays on searching for satellites.. its been like that for a while.. and im in nyc in the clear of day outside and google maps inpoints like 500 meters of where i am etc
    Same exact problem I keep experiencing... so frustrating. Tried to reset, resend service books, re-activate
    12-09-08 05:08 PM
    why u trying to get google maps to work. It's been stated that it's not functional yet, only BB maps works...
    12-09-08 05:30 PM
    I've been paying for VZNavigator for about six or nine months now. The program has speaking directions that follow you as you go. For example, when you approach a road that you need to turn on, a voice tells you to do so.

In addition, there is a 3D display that makes things so much easier while you are driving. (I live in LA where streets change directions and names all of the time. Although I am a LA native, I still need GPS to get around this city.)

When I viewed the GPS feature on maps, it looked like a map with directions. You still need to notice the streets as they appear. If you do not have any GPS, I guess free GPS is better than no GPS.

Nevertheless, I think I will continue to pay $9.99 a month for VZNavigator. In addition to 3D voice directions, there are local searches for ATMs, restaurants, theaters, etc. Those additional features mean more to me and I don't mind paying for them.
    look up amaZe GPS. once the gps starts working for programs other than VzNav and BB Maps im sure that will be a good, free alternative to vznav. It has 3d maps and i believe it talks
    12-10-08 10:17 AM
    why u trying to get google maps to work. It's been stated that it's not functional yet, only BB maps works...
    My question is will any apps be *Ever* be able to use Verizons aGPS implementation, you said "yet" in your question, do you know if anyone is actively working on this for Google or any other app?

I'm glad VZW listened to their customers (I assume that is their motive) and opened up GPS *Like* functionality on a couple of BB Models, but all we get is BlackBerry Maps, I never wanted BB Maps. I want Real GPS like the phone is capable of, I want Google maps and Geotagged Photos and Sit or Squat and Urban Spoon ... the list could go on for a while .. hopefully, you get the point.
    12-10-08 10:26 AM
    luckily there is no urban spoon app yet for the bb so we have some time, but yes, i think that most people would want those features as well.
    Has verizon even released a statement regarding their new semi-unlocked functionality?
    I think, as most people have expressed, this is a really good start, and that the rest of the gps functionality will come.
    12-10-08 12:13 PM
    I have yet to get it working at all.

If I hit the find location - I get the searching for satellites message - and I've let that run for a while, and nothing. The start GPS nav - only puts up "space = hide dashboard" message.

Nope. Nuthin.
    12-10-08 01:02 PM
296 ... 678910 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD