02-08-09 09:06 PM
296 ... 56789 ...
tools
    OK, I give up. Mine is working on a 8330 and BB maps. Pinpoints my location fine, but how can I read the Lat, Long, coordinates on the BB. If I select "send location" and "e-Mail", the email it creates has the lat long coordinates in the body of the email. There has to be some way to read it directly from the BB? Anyone??
    12-06-08 11:27 PM
    in bb maps:

when I hit the BB button and then "find location" and then "where I am" ... it then goes to "searching for satellites" and stays there stuck always. This never changes...

but when I hit the bb button, then "start GPS Navigation" it will find my location SOMETIMES. I dont know if weather affects the line of sight with the phone or what... but this appears to not be a reliable GPS for when you really need it

Anyone experiecing this?
    Last edited by RicanMedic78; 12-06-08 at 11:47 PM.
    12-06-08 11:43 PM
    works for me. i just updated from OS 4.3 to 4.5 because i had deleted BB Maps, and works perfectly, even indoors!
    12-07-08 01:20 AM
    I have found vz navigator ok for driving directiosn when in major metro areas or on major road connecting such. It tends to lose its' way wherever verizon cell coverage is weak, despite is using GPS and cell towers. I find it useful on business trips.

What I find really useful with it is the ability to look up move theaters that are proximate to me, and then bring up the actual movie schedules and reviews.

I've been paying for VZNavigator for about six or nine months now. The program has speaking directions that follow you as you go. For example, when you approach a road that you need to turn on, a voice tells you to do so.

In addition, there is a 3D display that makes things so much easier while you are driving. (I live in LA where streets change directions and names all of the time. Although I am a LA native, I still need GPS to get around this city.)

When I viewed the GPS feature on maps, it looked like a map with directions. You still need to notice the streets as they appear. If you do not have any GPS, I guess free GPS is better than no GPS.

Nevertheless, I think I will continue to pay $9.99 a month for VZNavigator. In addition to 3D voice directions, there are local searches for ATMs, restaurants, theaters, etc. Those additional features mean more to me and I don't mind paying for them.
    12-07-08 06:39 AM
    no, it's not resolved i was using DM 4.7 to add BB Maps and it downgraded me.

do you have an email address for Dataviz? i'd like to try to get sheet to go back.

Dont have the email but check their website for email and phone. Sounds like the post below yours might have a workaround for you though. Hope it works.
    12-07-08 09:49 AM
    just reloaded bb maps and this is working beautifully for me as well! usually have at least 9 sats tracking and seems to find me exactly...this is great!

OK, I give up. Mine is working on a 8330 and BB maps. Pinpoints my location fine, but how can I read the Lat, Long, coordinates on the BB. If I select "send location" and "e-Mail", the email it creates has the lat long coordinates in the body of the email. There has to be some way to read it directly from the BB? Anyone??
    this is a great questions and something i'd be interested in as well...anyone?
    12-07-08 11:51 AM
    Works fine for me.
    12-07-08 12:18 PM
    On non-VZW Blackberrys, you can go to Options>Advanced>GPS then press the menu button. One of the selections is 'refresh GPS'. Press it and you'll be able to read Lat/long directly.

But it's not on my VZW 8330. Only work around I've got so far is to 'copy location', then paste it into a memo or other text field. Clumsy and unsatisfactory, but it does work.

I reported earlier that my 8330 accessed GPS with BBMaps, then stopped. Well, it seems to work most of the time now. Sometimes I tell it to find location and it just sits. Usually, if I tell it a second time, it works fine.

Does geotagging with the camera work? Anyone?

My initial experiments say "no".
    12-07-08 01:57 PM
    in bb maps:

when I hit the BB button and then "find location" and then "where I am" ... it then goes to "searching for satellites" and stays there stuck always. This never changes...

but when I hit the bb button, then "start GPS Navigation" it will find my location SOMETIMES. I dont know if weather affects the line of sight with the phone or what... but this appears to not be a reliable GPS for when you really need it

Anyone experiecing this?
    thats wha im getting too i look where i am and it just stays on searching for satellites.. its been like that for a while.. and im in nyc in the clear of day outside and google maps inpoints like 500 meters of where i am etc
    12-07-08 02:25 PM
    now i let it go and said cannot acquire GPS lock :/
    12-07-08 02:38 PM
    On non-VZW Blackberrys, you can go to Options>Advanced>GPS then press the menu button. One of the selections is 'refresh GPS'. Press it and you'll be able to read Lat/long directly.
    What kind of GPS doesn't sho LAT/LONG...geesh!!!!!! If I'm not on a known road, I'm still lost!

Google Maps still doesn't work.

Tried BlackStar, but it still can't use the GPS, says "No GPS receiver is available".

All of us frustrated Verizon customers need to remember "You've got the network!" but were still LOST!
    12-07-08 02:48 PM
    I have tested this on my 8130 and my friend on his 8330 for VZW.

Maybe this is helpful. We are both running 4.5.0.77 first off.

Check the following settings:
    1. Go to Options>Advanced Options>GPS and changed GPS Services to Location On (this is usually the issue)
    2. Go to Options>Security Options>Application Permissions and change BB Maps to ALLOW on them all.
    3. Open BB Maps and press the BB icon. If you see Start GPS navigation you have the settings correct. You can either click that to start or you can click Find Location>Where Am I?

Also if you open up Google Maps, when it finds your location via Trainglulation it now also says "Waiting for GPS" so we might see this come to google maps soon!

I have had a problem with it not finding me via GPS in BB Maps, but i eventually it finds you! I used it driving over 20miles yesterday and it worked great, hope this helped.
    12-07-08 02:55 PM
    thats wha im getting too i look where i am and it just stays on searching for satellites.. its been like that for a while.. and im in nyc in the clear of day outside and google maps inpoints like 500 meters of where i am etc
    did u try it yesterday? wasn't exactly a clear day tho lol. I believe I saw snow.. today was clearer and today it did not work. Actually its weird cuz now when I hit start navigation, it will start, then like 4 seconds later, it'll stop. When I hit the bb button, the option does not say stop navigation, it just says "start navigation" again like if I had never selected it... WTF!!!
    12-07-08 03:43 PM
    I must have done everything wrong. I upgraded to 4.5, but do not have the option to find my location. It looks just like it did before I started. Does it have a option in the menu to find location if it was upgraded correctly?
    12-07-08 05:49 PM
    start GPS navigation will find you....
    12-07-08 06:07 PM
    I have tested this on my 8130 and my friend on his 8330 for VZW.

2. Go to Options>Security Options>Application Permissions and change BB Maps to ALLOW on them all.
    3. Open BB Maps and press the BB icon. If you see Start GPS navigation you have the settings correct. You can either click that to start or you can click Find Location>Where Am I?
    I've got 8130, OS 4.5. My BB maps seems to be working with GPS but I can't see any BB Maps in the Application Permissions list under Security Options.

John
    12-07-08 06:31 PM
    FINALY!!! OMG was just about to get a gps puck for christmass
    12-07-08 08:34 PM
    If we use any GPS features on our phone, are we going to get charged for GPS use or is this included in our internet plan.
    12-07-08 09:47 PM
    No it's just simple data....
    12-07-08 09:49 PM
    BB Maps with GPS works beautifully for me...as well as Google Maps utilizing the celltower triangulation (poor man's gps). LOL.

Thank you Verizon!!!
    12-07-08 11:24 PM
    I give up! Neither works on my phone and I have 4.5 OS!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-07-08 11:48 PM
    ine also did not work, I called vzw and after many attempts on there part they decided it was my phone so my new one will be hear tomorow, hear is the best part, after we got off the phone it started to work... It was not good but it started.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-08-08 05:27 AM
    it seems to be working on and off depending on time and location, maybe weather too. But for the most part, when I try to find where I am, it will always say searching for satellites and stay suck there. That part is pretty consistant so far...

Start GPS navigation is another story. That works for me (half the time)
    12-08-08 07:26 AM
    I've got 8130, OS 4.5. My BB maps seems to be working with GPS but I can't see any BB Maps in the Application Permissions list under Security Options.

John
    khaji00 must have meant regular <Options>. That's where you can edit the application permissions.
    12-08-08 08:28 AM
    it seems to be working on and off depending on time and location, maybe weather too. But for the most part, when I try to find where I am, it will always say searching for satellites and stay suck there. That part is pretty consistant so far...

Start GPS navigation is another story. That works for me (half the time)
    Inside my office by the window I get 9 connections... (SAT) then outside I get 11(SAT). not sure if it's your area where your at or maybe the weather, pretty cloudy here but still good to go.
    12-08-08 08:32 AM
296 ... 56789 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD