02-08-09 10:06 PM
296 ... 23456 ...
tools
    ...I know I have the most up to date software bc my phone is only a week old..I know it has the 4.5.X.X

Sorry for the Newb question.
    Just because it's only a week old does not mean it has 4.5**. I got my 8330 from the Verizon store just a few days ago, also, and it still had 4.3***. You may have to manually download and install the new OS. There are threads all over the forum to walk you through the steps if you need the help. Double check that you do for sure have 4.5 -- Options - About. just in case this is new to you, it should look something like this:

BlackBerry 8330
    Smartphone (CDMA)
    v4.5.0.89 (Platform 3.2.0.52) <--- the first part is your OS version
    12-05-08 11:13 AM
    Those of you with an 8830 and OS 4.5.x.x - I'm assuming you all don't have a VZW-official OS but an OS from another carrier... and you are saying the GPS is working well.

Which carrier's OS is the most stable to us in this case? Has anyone heard whether VZW is prepping an official 4.5 upgrade soon?

Sorry to take this off-topic a bit - but, I think it still applies...
    12-05-08 11:16 AM
    Just because it's only a week old does not mean it has 4.5**. I got my 8330 from the Verizon store just a few days ago, also, and it still had 4.3***. You may have to manually download and install the new OS. There are threads all over the forum to walk you through the steps if you need the help. Double check that you do for sure have 4.5 -- Options - About. just in case this is new to you, it should look something like this:

BlackBerry 8330
    Smartphone (CDMA)
    v4.5.0.89 (Platform 3.2.0.52) <--- the first part is your OS version
    OK i just checked my OS. I guess its time for an upgrade.
    Here is what I have:
    v4.3.0.127 (platform 3.1.0.72)

Thanks for all the help.
    12-05-08 11:21 AM
    OK i just checked my OS. I guess its time for an upgrade.
    Here is what I have:
    v4.3.0.127 (platform 3.1.0.72)

Thanks for all the help.
    BlackBerry® Software Updates
    12-05-08 11:23 AM
    OK. I am having problems getting the GPS to work with BB maps.

I have set the GPS to "location on"

I have all the permissions on BBmaps set to "allow"

I did the *228 option 1.

I open bbmaps and it does nothing. One thing I find funny is when i have the bbmaps open and I click on "options" in the GPS settings below it says:

GPS source: NONE

WTF is this and how do i fix this? I saw something about resending service books. What is this and how do I do this?

I know I have the most up to date software bc my phone is only a week old..I know it has the 4.5.X.X
    Sorry for the Newb question.
    How much you want to bet that you don't have OS4.5 on your phone? I setup an 8330 for someone yesterday (new in box) and it still had 4.3 on it. How about you check your OS version instead of guessing. If GPS source is displayed as NONE in BBMaps and you truly have GPS set to Location ON, the OS is still 4.3.

Edit:
    I guess I should read the last page before posting, but I'm still right. As always... lol
    12-05-08 11:36 AM
    Would someone running 4.5 handheld code on Verizon be able to test my out GPS Golf application please?

I have had a lot of Verizon users complain that Verizon has locked down GPS, and for a golf rang finder application is is a critical part of the whole process

You can download my app for free from the following url:
    bbgpsgolf.com/download.php

or OTA from:
    bbgpsgolf.com/app/1.0.9/storm/BBGPSGolf.jad

(Note: you will need to add the www to the URL because I dont have 10 posts)

Thanks,
    Ash
    I'll go ahead and guarantee you that it most likely won't work and I won't even have to try it. The VZW 8830 GPS unlock is strickly aGPS (PDE Based). Unless your application issues its GPS calls with the correct PDE settings and is a signed app, it will not work.

If you search around, you'll find the PDE info for IP and Port on xda-developers. If you rewrite the app to try and use the PDE calls to the new Location API in 4.5, it may work, but you'll need to do that first.
    12-05-08 11:41 AM
    Now it is my turn to ask a stupid question. I have VZ 8830, and on their site the latest OS is 4.2 from May, 2008 for the 8830.
    Is it OK to install 4.5 designed for the 8330? If not, where are the others getting 4.5 for the 8830?
    Thanks in advance.
    12-05-08 12:06 PM
    I'll go ahead and guarantee you that it most likely won't work and I won't even have to try it. The VZW 8830 GPS unlock is strickly aGPS (PDE Based). Unless your application issues its GPS calls with the correct PDE settings and is a signed app, it will not work.

If you search around, you'll find the PDE info for IP and Port on xda-developers. If you rewrite the app to try and use the PDE calls to the new Location API in 4.5, it may work, but you'll need to do that first.
    Can we assume that future apps may work with our 8 series phone, then? (And thanks for the info)
    12-05-08 12:32 PM
    Now it is my turn to ask a stupid question. I have VZ 8830, and on their site the latest OS is 4.2 from May, 2008 for the 8830.
    Is it OK to install 4.5 designed for the 8330? If not, where are the others getting 4.5 for the 8830?
    Thanks in advance.
    No, the 8330 and 8830 OS's are different. The only 4.5 for the 8830 at this point is a beta test version, but you can find it pretty easily by searching the Internet. 4.5.0.101 is the latest beta floating around. For me, it generally works well but is a bit less stable than the latest 4.2.x release, but BB Maps GPS does work with the .101 beta just fine.
    12-05-08 12:43 PM
    Mine started working last night! and is still work - thanks VZW

Perhaps VZW is pushing out some unlock code and at some point those people that are not having luck will get "turned on"
    12-05-08 01:02 PM
    I just don't understand why people let them have such control over their devices. GPS on the blackberries work wonderfully at least here in Canada on the Rogers network. The only case where it didn't was on Bell's phones. It seems like bell is following the lead of the US counterparts by some how disabling the GPS chip in the device.

My suggestion for those who want to try, would be to try installing a non-us carriers OS on the phone and see if the gps retains full functionality. If you do, remember to remove the vender.xml file first!

The BB's GPS can work without service. I've had mine working all the time with the radio off. The only way they would be able to physically disable the GPS, I would think, would be through the actual process of building the handheld software.
    12-05-08 01:36 PM
    Try a *228 /option 1, or resending service books. If that doesn't work try to upgrade your OS. I haven't had a chance to test mine but I will and update here.
    *22899 for BB's. It reactivates the data services on the device.
    12-05-08 01:54 PM
    Just installed BB Maps and it's working. i didn't have to send service books or *228.

i did, however, lose sheet to go in the DM intstaller process. Bummer!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-05-08 01:57 PM
    I was talking to a verizon tech and when we finished our conversation he forgot to disconnect the line and I overheard him talking to his co-workers about the freezing issues with the storm. a lot of it is caused by the VZ Navigator, but they aren't aloud to tell customers that cause its an "add on" thats no bull either. I just listened to him talk for 3 or 4 minutes about it.
    12-05-08 02:00 PM
    Happy Holidays from VZW. I figured something was up when my battery life started to crap out.
    12-05-08 02:02 PM
    My VZN doesn't freeze my phone at all! Works great!

12-05-08 02:03 PM
    Not working on my VZW curve, what is needed to make this work for me as well?

I either get seraching for ever or the option to turn the GPS on will not start.

Help?
    I'm in the same boat, using os 4.5.0.77 on my 8330 in NYC.

Any ideas?
    12-05-08 02:57 PM
    Working on mine! Running Alltel's 4.5.0.89 on my VZW 8330
    12-05-08 03:37 PM

Any ideas?
    Update to .97?
    12-05-08 03:39 PM
    Those of you with an 8830 and OS 4.5.x.x - I'm assuming you all don't have a VZW-official OS but an OS from another carrier... and you are saying the GPS is working well.

Which carrier's OS is the most stable to us in this case? Has anyone heard whether VZW is prepping an official 4.5 upgrade soon?

Sorry to take this off-topic a bit - but, I think it still applies...
    It should work for ANY 8330's 4.5x OS. I tried it with 4.5.0.89 from Alltel - works fine for me. This unlocking isn't related to which carrier the OS is from. The aGPS in the BlackBerry talks to the network and asks for assistance in location. The network used to say no to helping if it was not VZNav, but now it will assist with BB Maps.

...Perhaps VZW is pushing out some unlock code and at some point those people that are not having luck will get "turned on"
    More likely just a switch on the assist server on their network for the aGPS to work.

My suggestion for those who want to try, would be to try installing a non-us carriers OS on the phone and see if the gps retains full functionality. If you do, remember to remove the vender.xml file first!

The BB's GPS can work without service. I've had mine working all the time with the radio off. The only way they would be able to physically disable the GPS, I would think, would be through the actual process of building the handheld software.
    I got this from Wikipedia, so take the information as you wish -- A typical A-GPS-enabled cell phone will use a data connection (internet, or other) to contact the assistance server. Alternatively, it may use standard non-assisted GPS, which is slower and less accurate, but does not lead to network charges for data traffic, which can be considerable. Some A-GPS solutions do not have the option of falling back to conventional GPS (as with the new iPhone 3G).

I also read a small article from blackberry.com and it made it sound like there are some BlackBerries with aGPS and some with regular GPS (leads me to believe aGPS for CDMA and GPS for GSM versions).
    BlackBerry Developer Newsletter
    this is the most likely reason it works for AT&T, T-mobile, and Rogers with any application and even with the radio off as you said. I don't know, just a guess.

Any ideas?
    Make sure you have the service book for BlackBerry Maps, if not resend the service books to your device (search if you need instructions for it).
    12-05-08 03:42 PM
    I did not read through all the comments so I do not know if someone has already mentioned this or not, but GPS has also been enabled on the Verizon Blackberry 8830 for Blackberry Maps (requires OS 4.5.0.74 or higher).

-M-
    12-05-08 03:54 PM
    Found article in Viigo about this. Went to BB maps/options and the GPS option. The BB searched for sats and pinpointed exactly where I was.

12-05-08 04:13 PM
    can anyone tell me where i can find the link to download the .97 update for the curve i've looked everywhere for it. im using .77 right now and it was from the verizon website so its a leak version.
    12-05-08 04:15 PM
    Check Berry Review?
    12-05-08 04:17 PM
    berry review?
    12-05-08 04:18 PM
296 ... 23456 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD