02-08-09 09:06 PM
296 12345 ...
tools
    I just saw the blog post. It seems to be working on my 8130 just fine.
    12-05-08 03:37 AM
    I've been paying for VZNavigator for about six or nine months now. The program has speaking directions that follow you as you go. For example, when you approach a road that you need to turn on, a voice tells you to do so.

In addition, there is a 3D display that makes things so much easier while you are driving. (I live in LA where streets change directions and names all of the time. Although I am a LA native, I still need GPS to get around this city.)

When I viewed the GPS feature on maps, it looked like a map with directions. You still need to notice the streets as they appear. If you do not have any GPS, I guess free GPS is better than no GPS.

Nevertheless, I think I will continue to pay $9.99 a month for VZNavigator. In addition to 3D voice directions, there are local searches for ATMs, restaurants, theaters, etc. Those additional features mean more to me and I don't mind paying for them.
    12-05-08 04:50 AM
    Not working on my 8130, ver .97. Tried *228>1, did a soft reset, still no-joy :-(

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-05-08 05:40 AM
    Interesting that folks are using as a driving aide. I would think the screen would be way too small and disracting to view. I noticed that my Curve liked acquiring location outdoors and was slow inside the house. I walked around my land last night (like a little kid with a new toy) and the thing is dead on. Not sure how I will use it other than day hikes or as a passenger in vehicles w/o built in GPS.
    Thanks for the heads up CB Members.
    12-05-08 06:01 AM
    To idotson: blackberry maps has a local search feature too. It'll do the same thing searching for restaurants, atms, etc, and it'll do it $10 cheaper per month. But, to each his own. The only big diff I can find between the 2 is vznav talks to you and bbmaps doesn't.

12-05-08 06:23 AM
    The voice directions is why I won't give up my tom tom. If the diections don't get any better on BB maps, I won't even be looking at them.

12-05-08 06:37 AM
    wow.... guess i will have to add BB Maps back on now! But I still love my Garmin Nuvi!
    12-05-08 06:48 AM
    BB maps works fine as long as you don't need directions. Gps locks on good, pinpoints my location exactly, but when I try to get directions in my town all the listings have the right address but when you view on map it shows them in wrong location. When you get directions it takes you to there. A whole different street. Anyone else try it yet. I will try again in another town. Wish it would work with my Garmin.
    12-05-08 06:52 AM
    Oh yes. The directions to my folks house are way jacked!

12-05-08 06:55 AM
    BB Maps seems to be getting bad reviews! Maybe i won't re install it after all.

What can BB Maps be useful for to those of us that want turn by turn spoken directions and are keeping VZN?

i use both VZN and LIVE SEARCH for searches so i don't need that.

Any insight into BB Maps purposeful function?

Can geotagging be implemented without BB Maps? i'm trying to figure out how geotagging works.

12-05-08 06:59 AM
    any way to download bb maps ota? I went to blackberry.com/maps but it wont load on my 8330...
    12-05-08 07:04 AM
    stupid question here, how can you tell if it is working on my phone?
    12-05-08 07:41 AM
    Would someone running 4.5 handheld code on Verizon be able to test my out GPS Golf application please?

I have had a lot of Verizon users complain that Verizon has locked down GPS, and for a golf rang finder application is is a critical part of the whole process

You can download my app for free from the following url:
    bbgpsgolf.com/download.php

or OTA from:
    bbgpsgolf.com/app/1.0.9/storm/BBGPSGolf.jad

(Note: you will need to add the www to the URL because I dont have 10 posts)

Thanks,
    Ash
    12-05-08 08:06 AM
    I submitted a question to Google asking when we can expect a software update from them.

When can we expect to be able to use the newly unlocked GPS on Verizon Blackberries? - Google Mobile Help
    12-05-08 08:14 AM
    stupid question here, how can you tell if it is working on my phone?
    it will have an icon of a satellite with a number next to it on the bottom row of the screen. (see post #32 for a screenshot someone posted)
    12-05-08 08:50 AM
    I have a Storm on order and hope to see it in a few weeks. As this is my first BlackBerry device, I have no clue as to what to expect. I declines the VZ Navigator service for $10/mo, but if I am reading correctly I can use BB Maps for full GPS functionality (minus the voice) like I would w/VZ Nav. Is this correct? Thanks, Kevin
    12-05-08 08:51 AM
    Its working with my 8830 WE, OS 4.5.0.101
    12-05-08 08:56 AM
    I have a Storm on order and hope to see it in a few weeks. As this is my first BlackBerry device, I have no clue as to what to expect. I declines the VZ Navigator service for $10/mo, but if I am reading correctly I can use BB Maps for full GPS functionality (minus the voice) like I would w/VZ Nav. Is this correct? Thanks, Kevin
    Not sure how informative this site will be for you, but here ya go: BlackBerry - PDA GPS - BlackBerry Maps at BlackBerry.com
    12-05-08 09:08 AM
    works here on a 8330 4.5.0.97
    12-05-08 09:32 AM
    OK. I am having problems getting the GPS to work with BB maps.

I have set the GPS to "location on"

I have all the permissions on BBmaps set to "allow"

I did the *228 option 1.

I open bbmaps and it does nothing. One thing I find funny is when i have the bbmaps open and I click on "options" in the GPS settings below it says:

GPS source: NONE

WTF is this and how do i fix this? I saw something about resending service books. What is this and how do I do this?

I know I have the most up to date software bc my phone is only a week old..I know it has the 4.5.X.X

Sorry for the Newb question.
    12-05-08 09:39 AM

I have set the GPS to "location on"

I have all the permissions on BBmaps set to "allow"

I did the *228 option 1.

I open bbmaps and it does nothing. One thing I find funny is when i have the bbmaps open and I click on "options" in the GPS settings below it says:

GPS source: NONE

WTF is this and how do i fix this? I saw something about resending service books. What is this and how do I do this?

I know I have the most up to date software bc my phone is only a week old..I know it has the 4.5.X.X

Sorry for the Newb question.
    To resend service books, go here: BlackBerry Internet Service

Login, then go to "Service Books" in the left navigation. Click "Resend Service Books."
    12-05-08 09:42 AM
    If you go to Setup (wrench icon) and then Advanced Options and then GPS, what does it show? Mine shows GPS Data Source - Device GPS and GPS Services set to Location On.
    12-05-08 09:43 AM
    Not sure how informative this site will be for you, but here ya go:
    @cliffr39
    Thanks Cliff - I saw that page yesterday but was unclear if I required the VZ Nav subscription in order to use it. Since I never had a BB device and my Storm is on order I wasn't sure what to expect. I only knew I wasn't paying $10/mo and was willing to forego GPS on the phone if had to do so.
    12-05-08 09:46 AM
    Hey guys. I'm actually still having trouble with my blackberryMaps recognizing the internal GPS. I did a full reset, and all of my baclackberry gps settings, and blakberry maps gps settings are good. I'm still not understanding why this isn't working. I tried to get blackberry maps to find "wher I am" but it said that it couldn't connect with any satellites, and I'm right in the middle of Time Square. I'd highly doubt that there are no available satellites in this area. Any suggestions?
    12-05-08 09:50 AM
    My GPS settings are as follows:

GPS Data Source Device GPS
    Gps Services Location On

I just resent my service books. did the battery pull and nothing....STill not F'in working.
    12-05-08 10:04 AM
296 12345 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD