02-08-09 09:06 PM
296 ... 101112
tools
    I don't think it's triangulation, rather just tower ID isn't it? Hence the big margin of error.
    Google My Location uses Google's proprietary, user generated, database of cell tower ID to lat/lng mappings. Triangulation is something different -- triangulation actually does RTT calculations between multiple towers and the handset (CSI Miami, locate the bad guy style) clearly something Google could not do (a J2ME app cannot initiate interaction with multiple towers much less RTTs). For a number of reasons, triangulation is not viable for large scale commercial deployment in these types of apps, which is why you have to download software that uses the GPS etc.

In case you are interested, here is a (geeky) video comparing Google My Location, GPS, Skyhook WiFi location (iPhone uses Skyhook, but we used it natively in Symbian/Nokia and Windows Mobile before there existed an iPhone).

(I just realized I made the same mistake -- IN the video :-)) -- I called it "triangulation". Oh well).

Followed by another video that compares time to fix... something that is often overlooked in comparisons and discussions, but that is very important for actual day to day use.

01-26-09 03:45 PM
    maybe this settle the arugment.

Anything prior to the pearl - no GPS.

Pearl and Curve are now unlocked with OS 4.5 for VZNAV and BBmaps.

Storm unlocked for GPS
    01-26-09 04:37 PM
    The GPS seems be as addictive as the device itself!

Its a VZW thing and you will use the phone the way they want. Period.

Now if they would just rent me the phone maybe I would not feel slighted due to the innovation killers in the red tower.

Anything that says GPS means NO on VZW, so I just quit trying really cool 3rd party apps.
    01-27-09 11:50 AM
    ok ... go to options>> advanced options>> applications>> scroll down to BB maps>> hit the BB button >> go to edit default permissions>> make sure all 3 say "Allow" and you should be good. Just make sure under advanced options and GPS, its also set for "location on"

I think GPS only works with 4.5 os, nothing lower...

This was great thanks!
    01-29-09 10:23 PM
    Has anyone ever spoke with verizon to see if they can justify why 1 blackberry has gps unlocked (the storm) and the rest remain locked, except with the recent inclusion of bb maps?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-30-09 10:30 AM
    Has anyone ever spoke with verizon to see if they can justify why 1 blackberry has gps unlocked (the storm) and the rest remain locked, except with the recent inclusion of bb maps?

Awsome question. I think that since you brought it you should find the answer and let us know
    01-30-09 05:05 PM
    Awsome question. I think that since you brought it you should find the answer and let us know
    You know the answer and it has been rehashed ad nauseum around here lately.

Different phone
    Different a-GPS chipset

Storm can run assisted or non-assisted while most Curves can only run assisted. All Pearls are single-mode only.

The database access & data costs of assisted locating can be astronomical. VZW chooses (rightly) to make a profit & not to lose money on GPS users.

01-30-09 05:26 PM
    Yes I do, But look at my avatar. Just being a sarcastic devil
    01-30-09 05:37 PM
    You know the answer and it has been rehashed ad nauseum around here lately.

Different phone
    Different a-GPS chipset

Storm can run assisted or non-assisted while most Curves can only run assisted. All Pearls are single-mode only.

The database access & data costs of assisted locating can be astronomical. VZW chooses (rightly) to make a profit & not to lose money on GPS users.

wait, ur saying that the curve GPS chip is not capable of being a standalone GPS??? This is the first I've ever heard of that! Can anyone verify this claim? Being locked verse not being capable is 2 very different things. I dont think the term "locked" would be tossed around if the simple answer is that its just not capable!
    01-30-09 06:01 PM
    wait, ur saying that the curve GPS chip is not capable of being a standalone GPS??? This is the first I've ever heard of that! Can anyone verify this claim? Being locked verse not being capable is 2 very different things. I dont think the term "locked" would be tossed around if the simple answer is that its just not capable!
    If you would read what is written, including in threads you have been negatively active in, you'd see the answer.

http://forums.crackberry.com/f71/why...ml#post1527812

- and -

http://forums.crackberry.com/f71/why...ml#post1535564

Yes, it is locked. No one has disputed that, so stop your crap. There is a reason for it being locked up. Read why, then try, for once in your life, to have an intelligent discourse about something.
    01-30-09 11:47 PM
    Yes I do, But look at my avatar. Just being a sarcastic devil
    Perfect avatar!

Wish I'd thought of that...
    01-30-09 11:54 PM
    hey pretty cool....i followed "ricanmedic78" 's instructos for the settings and i got recept right in my own living room.....gee i wonder culd it get me to my kitchen?? lol! jk -well nice to have if i ever get lost i suppose!
    02-03-09 06:20 PM
    ok being fairly new & not 100% knowledgable on this whole gps thing, the setting i just changed in the "advanced opts>apps>bbmaps" and "adv opts>gsp" arent going to make a bit of difference?? :l i did realize this has been an on going thing and i just happend to stumble accross this now, so if i **** some1 off now-its not intended at all- im really just learning-had my curve for 1-1/2 mths only.
    02-03-09 06:30 PM
    ok ... go to options>> advanced options>> applications>> scroll down to BB maps>> hit the BB button >> go to edit default permissions>> make sure all 3 say "Allow" and you should be good. Just make sure under advanced options and GPS, its also set for "location on"

I think GPS only works with 4.5 os, nothing lower...
    You sir, are a gentleman and a scholar!
    02-04-09 01:39 AM
    Ok I just ran around the neighborhood with my Blackberry in front of my face with BBMaps open and "Gps navigation started". Follows me quickly, turn by turn. I couldnt outrun it and I had 11 satellites tracking me. Hmm...the excitement is over, and the paranoia has set in. My smartphone just became my stupid phone.

But seriously, thanks to VZW for this small bit of love they showed their customers. After feeling like red-headed step children in relation to all the other carriers and their GPS abilities, you finally showed us you cared a little. Youre the best neglectful parents ever!
    02-04-09 02:20 AM
    But seriously, thanks to VZW for this small bit of love they showed their customers. After feeling like red-headed step children in relation to all the other carriers and their GPS abilities, you finally showed us you cared a little. Youre the best neglectful parents ever!

haha! I love the way u put that last part! We're still neglected... just not as much
    02-04-09 07:31 AM
    Hey, new BB owner here, found the site and love it. I am addicted to this thing. Anyway I used this thread to get my BB Maps operational. Worked like a charm this site is awesome. I have passed it around to every BB owner I know. Thanks again
    02-08-09 06:14 PM
    Welcome to the addiction
    02-08-09 07:00 PM
    welcome... just in case it gets to bad, don't forget to pass by the crackberry rehab for treatment!
    02-08-09 08:16 PM
    I would like to feel the love. Will Verizon unlock the GPS function on former Alltel BB phones too?
    02-08-09 08:41 PM
    Great question. Will have to wait and see.
    02-08-09 09:06 PM
296 ... 101112
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD