02-08-09 09:06 PM
296 ... 9101112
tools
    Wow, you make yourself sound really important.
    12-18-08 02:56 PM
    Wow, you make yourself sound really important.
    Only to those who can't discern statement from fantasy.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-18-08 03:26 PM
    That's a bummer. Hopefully they will enable it. In the meantime I ordered the Bluetooth GPS that goes on your keyring from the Crackberry store and hope to have that it as a GPS puck if the snow doesn't stop the UPS guy tomorrow. That should get Trapster working for me.

I don't think 8830 works yet.

12-18-08 03:29 PM
    I think TwinsX2Dad needs to post a photo of the GM showing his exact location. He seems to be the only person on earth that verizon deemed important enough to free.
    12-18-08 04:25 PM
    I think TwinsX2Dad needs to post a photo of the GM showing his exact location. He seems to be the only person on earth that verizon deemed important enough to free.
    I agree, although I wouldn't want to compromise his status in the contracting industry by doing so.
    12-18-08 04:50 PM
    GPS does NOT work with Google Maps on the Verizon BB. Only tower triangulation does.

Sorry TwinsX2Dad.
    12-18-08 05:43 PM
    in bb maps:

when I hit the BB button and then "find location" and then "where I am" ... it then goes to "searching for satellites" and stays there stuck always. This never changes...

but when I hit the bb button, then "start GPS Navigation" it will find my location SOMETIMES. I dont know if weather affects the line of sight with the phone or what... but this appears to not be a reliable GPS for when you really need it

Anyone experiecing this?
    I get the exact same thing

Update: this time it found me after clicking "where I am", it guess it only works sometimes. Better than nothing I guess.
    Last edited by BerryKid; 12-19-08 at 12:20 AM.
    12-19-08 12:00 AM
    I don't think it's triangulation, rather just tower ID isn't it? Hence the big margin of error.

GPS does NOT work with Google Maps on the Verizon BB. Only tower triangulation does.

Sorry TwinsX2Dad.
    12-19-08 02:37 AM
    pwscott: you're probably right, I've heard theories that it's either one, simplest is just tower location ID, so that's probably all it is doing. Bottom line is: it is definitely NOT using the GPS in the Curve (I hope it does soon though).
    12-19-08 06:51 AM
    pwscott: you're probably right, I've heard theories that it's either one, simplest is just tower location ID, so that's probably all it is doing. Bottom line is: it is definitely NOT using the GPS in the Curve (I hope it does soon though).
    I hope it uses the internal GPS soon in the 8830 myself. In the meantime, because I think Trapster is such a cool idea, I have a Bluetooth GPS puck coming to use until then. Anyone have any experience with one? I assume I will just bond with it like I would a headset and then it will show up in the drop down under options in GM or BBM huh? And in Trapster of course- the main impetus for getting it.
    12-19-08 07:20 AM
    Mine works with Google maps. At least it tells me what general area I'm in. At home it tells me I'm 4 miles away from where I should be but when I was at disneyland, I was in front of the castle and it said I was outside the park in between California adventure and Disneyland. i thought that was pretty good. So it works better with BB Maps? I need to update my software.
    12-19-08 08:51 AM
    Mine works with Google maps. At least it tells me what general area I'm in. At home it tells me I'm 4 miles away from where I should be but when I was at disneyland, I was in front of the castle and it said I was outside the park in between California adventure and Disneyland. i thought that was pretty good. So it works better with BB Maps? I need to update my software.
    This is what everyone is means by tower triangulation. It is not giving you your exact location because it is not using GPS. With BB Maps it will tell you exactly where you are.
    12-19-08 09:42 AM
    T With BB Maps it will tell you exactly where you are.
    Well....I would add, "If and only if you have a curve or pearl right" ? The 8830 seems to still be locked.
    12-19-08 09:52 AM
    Well....I would add, "If and only if you have a curve or pearl right" ? The 8830 seems to still be locked.
    I was under the impression that people have been able to get it working on the 8830. As long as it has 4.5 on it.

EDIT: Yep, JRSCCivic said that his was working on the second page.
    12-19-08 09:56 AM
    4.5 Is Not Available for the Verizon 8830 as released software. May be it will be soon and may be it won't. One has has to find it somewhere else and take the chance on loading it and bricking your phone and not being able to get support from Verizon on hardware etc. Not exactly what I had in mind.

I'm sure if I pried the cover off and wired the battery compartment of a Garmin GPS to the battery in the 8830 that I could make that work too, but I'm not real likely to do that.
    12-19-08 01:34 PM
    4.5 Is Not Available for the Verizon 8830 as released software. May be it will be soon and may be it won't. One has has to find it somewhere else and take the chance on loading it and bricking your phone and not being able to get support from Verizon on hardware etc. Not exactly what I had in mind.

I'm sure if I pried the cover off and wired the battery compartment of a Garmin GPS to the battery in the 8830 that I could make that work too, but I'm not real likely to do that.
    There are plenty of people that have loaded 4.5 to the 8830 and never had a problem. Doing an OS upgrade is not really any more complicated than installing new software, it just takes a long time to do it. It isn't like you are going and messing with the insides of the phone with a pair of pliers and a soldering iron. If you run into problems and Verizon isn't going to help you or something, you can always downgrade to the old OS. Most of the people I have talked to at Verizon are using a Beta OS too.
    12-19-08 01:52 PM
    OK, thanks for that. I will give it some further thought. If Google Maps or Trapster worked with the internal GPS on 4.5 I'd be more fired up to try it. Getting BB Maps only is something but Trapster is what I am after really and Google Maps with Street View.
    Last edited by pwscott; 12-19-08 at 02:23 PM.
    12-19-08 01:54 PM
    Only to those who can't discern statement from fantasy.
    You mean fact? I say prove me wrong, but you won't b/c you can't.
    12-19-08 03:55 PM
    After scanning this thread last night, I finally decided to do the software update (had been holding off after reading some of the problems with the early attempts). The BB Maps/GPS works great!
    12-19-08 08:12 PM

I updated mine to the ambiguous 4.5.0.77 (Verizon released/removed) OS a few weeks ago and it works just fine. One new feature (besides GPS) on the Verizon version is the addition of a web search box in the "Go To" menu in the browser.
    Last edited by harbortom; 12-19-08 at 10:27 PM. Reason: :
    12-19-08 10:26 PM
    When I use local search for bbmaps it only finds businesses within a like 5 mile radius. Is there a way to extend that radius to 20 or 50 miles? Also the search doesn't return very accurate results

12-23-08 12:00 AM
    what the f-luck.

every 3rd post is asking the same god damm thing. Read the thread children..

Your gps is locked. Google maps will not use the gps, it uses TRIANGlEGATION.

This thread would only be 1 page long if you all would just read this thread...

Or for that matter... Search.

Its looking like the curve folk are on the same level as the iphone folk.

Just kidding...

hmmm
    12-23-08 12:03 AM
    what the f-luck.

every 3rd post is asking the same god damm thing. Read the thread children..

Your gps is locked. Google maps will not use the gps, it uses TRIANGlEGATION.

This thread would only be 1 page long if you all would just read this thread...

Or for that matter... Search.

Its looking like the curve folk are on the same level as the iphone folk.

Just kidding...

hmmm
    That was rude. The GPS is no longer locked for BBMaps. People don't understand the difference between triangulation and GPS. Since it is new people have questions.

12-23-08 12:06 AM
    yeah the gps works ok when you are in EV but when you go to extended network it only goe off of towers. so my gps location says that i am 20 miles away from my actual location.
    01-26-09 12:11 PM
    I hope it uses the internal GPS soon in the 8830 myself. In the meantime, because I think Trapster is such a cool idea, I have a Bluetooth GPS puck coming to use until then. Anyone have any experience with one? I assume I will just bond with it like I would a headset and then it will show up in the drop down under options in GM or BBM huh? And in Trapster of course- the main impetus for getting it.
    EDIT: I mixed replies before.

Yes I have *lots* of experience with them. In something like a TMobile Curve that has no GPS hardware, you do this:

1) pair the device in the BT menu
    2) go to GPS and change GPS source to that device
    (now all J2ME apps that use JSR-179 will use the puck)

-- alternatively -- haven't tested this on a VZW Curve/Pearl yet --

v 3.0+ of Trapster also allows direct Bluetooth. You don't change the GPS settings on the OS at all. Just go into the menu inside the program and select Bluetooth as the GPS source.
    Last edited by ptenereillo; 01-26-09 at 06:04 PM.
    01-26-09 03:10 PM
296 ... 9101112
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD