02-08-09 09:06 PM
296 ... 89101112
tools
    VZW reps are often behind the curve. Using the correct settings even allows my 8330 to use location on Google Maps (I still hate Google anything).

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-16-08 11:11 AM
    Google uses cell tower triangulation not GPS. Verizon has only unlocked BB maps.

12-16-08 11:29 AM
    Like a few others in this thread I'm also having problems. I've tried everything talked about in the thread and still all I get is "Searching for satellites" bar at the bottom. After a while it gives me an "Unable to acquire GPS Lock" message and if I try "Start GPS Nav" after that, the black bar does not show up and all I have is a "Press menu for spacebar" message. I have to do a bat pull to get the "Searching for Sat..." bar again.

I've tried this at work, at home, on the road, not once have I found a Sat. If anyone has any suggestions, PLEASE HELP!!
    12-16-08 01:05 PM
    Try calling *228 option 1

12-16-08 01:08 PM
    Google uses cell tower triangulation not GPS. Verizon has only unlocked BB maps.

Nope - just changed the access for my Garmin software and my GPS puck is off & charging. The results aren't as close as with my Freedom GPS puck but it does work.

Colleague's Pearl also works with more than just BB Maps, so it isn't just my BB. VZW doesn't release triangulation data to Google. They reserve proprietary information like that for their services like VZNavigator.

12-16-08 01:09 PM
    Nope - just changed the access for my Garmin software and my GPS puck is off & charging. The results aren't as close as with my Freedom GPS puck but it does work.

Colleague's Pearl also works with more than just BB Maps, so it isn't just my BB. VZW doesn't release triangulation data to Google. They reserve proprietary information like that for their services like VZNavigator.
    The results aren't as close because it is not using GPS. I promise you if the results are not exact, it is cell tower triangulation.

12-16-08 01:16 PM

When you start up Google Maps, hit the BB button and choose "my location" from the options provided. You should see a message similar to: "waiting for GPS" or "GPS unavailable" or something similar.
    12-16-08 01:29 PM
    I see it pinpoint my location as the building next door which is also the main address for my center.

Went to get a bite to eat a bit ago & sitting in line @ the burger shop & my location was found too.

Just called my corporate rep and was told if your BB doesn't locate you via GPS then your settings are wrong regardless of account class.

12-16-08 01:47 PM
    As an addition, after BB button, then My Location, it gives me a message of "Your location within XX meters. Waiting for GPS"

In under 5 seconds, the message goes away and the map centers on my location - then it follows me. It does work and several BB users here now confirm theirs do too.

If it doesn't work for you, check the human interface because VZW has quietly unlocked the GPS capabilities whether you think they have or not.

12-16-08 02:01 PM
    As an addition, after BB button, then My Location, it gives me a message of "Your location within XX meters. Waiting for GPS"

In under 5 seconds, the message goes away and the map centers on my location - then it follows me. It does work and several BB users here now confirm theirs do too.

If it doesn't work for you, check the human interface because VZW has quietly unlocked the GPS capabilities whether you think they have or not.

Well now this is interesting. I downloaded the newest version of GM this morning, and it didn't work for me. I guess I'll retry later. Thanks for the heads up.
    Human interface...lol!
    12-16-08 02:06 PM
    Hey everyone, Whats the secret to getting the GPS to work? Do I need to do a software upgrade or anything??? Thanks! I'm on a Curve 8330!
    12-16-08 02:08 PM
    *228 then opt 1

Let it run

After you do the OK thing, do a full reboot. Not needed but always a good idea.

Make sure your options allow for GPS and not 911 Only.

Hereks something I found in some of the office BBs. Make sure it is set for Device GPS and not anything else.

We all get interface issues - mine are almost always my own fault. Most BB issues are indeed caused by a loose nut on the keyboard.

12-16-08 02:21 PM
    I downloaded GM. It does not work. It shows me over 3 miles from my house. BBMaps pinpoints my house. So once again GM is not using GPS on a Verizon phone. If it was working on yours it will pinpoint the spot you are and not the building next door.

12-16-08 02:30 PM
    I downloaded GM. It does not work. It shows me over 3 miles from my house. BBMaps pinpoints my house. So once again GM is not using GPS on a Verizon phone. If it was working on yours it will pinpoint the spot you are and not the building next door.

No love here, either. I must be a loose nut.

Edit: And I have yet to see one other post saying that GM definitely works with GPS on a Verizon phone.
    12-16-08 02:37 PM
    No love here, either. I must be a loose nut.

Edit: And I have yet to see one other post saying that GM definitely works with GPS on a Verizon phone.
    Really? We seem to get posts all the time from people claiming that GPS is working on their Blackberry with Google Maps, but once Cell Tower Triangulation is explained to them, they realize the error of their ways
    12-16-08 04:44 PM
    Really? We seem to get posts all the time from people claiming that GPS is working on their Blackberry with Google Maps, but once Cell Tower Triangulation is explained to them, they realize the error of their ways
    His comment was in response to me. We have been trying to prove GM doesn't work. He was stating that if it really work we would hear about it from more than 1 person.

12-16-08 04:56 PM
    I read this today at work did not have my cable to reinstall bbmaps but cane home reinstalled it and its up and running wow happy now very happy.

12-16-08 11:18 PM
    I have the latest OS on my BB and the latest version of Google Maps and I can confirm also that the GPS definitely does NOT work. It was thankfully opened up to work with BB Maps but apparently not any other 3rd party apps. I have also tried to use it with Berry Locator and the GPS does not work with it either.
    12-17-08 06:59 AM
    Now it seems like none of us are crazy. According to our IT guys and our VZW rep, our BBs have fully functioning GPS. My personal unit was included because while I pay for it myself, I get the BB from work.

So.... mine is working as descibed before and the rest of you, as you were.

12-17-08 10:36 AM
    Now it seems like none of us are crazy. According to our IT guys and our VZW rep, our BBs have fully functioning GPS. My personal unit was included because while I pay for it myself, I get the BB from work.

So.... mine is working as descibed before and the rest of you, as you were.

They unlock it on a case by case basis?
    12-17-08 12:09 PM
    Verizon will release an update (4.8) soon that will fix bugs and issues related to the gps. Maybe this will unlock third party applications...
    12-18-08 04:59 AM
    our BBs have fully functioning GPS.
    I think until you are able to post a pic of your GM showing the location, and not saying something like "Your location within XXX yards", no one is going to believe that your internal GPS is really working with GM.

The My Location option on my GM happens to point right to the corner outside my work, but its showing that as my location "within 4000 yards". It just happened that the cell tower triangulation pointed there. It doesn't mean the GPS is working in GM.
    12-18-08 09:21 AM
    I am using the VZW 8830 and BB Maps, under options does not show GPS as option- only choices are NONE or my Motorola HS850 headset???
    It is set to ALLOW on all permissions etc.???
    12-18-08 12:27 PM
    I don't think 8830 works yet.

12-18-08 12:33 PM
    A) No matter who believes what. I know what I have and no matter what some think to the contrary, reality is unchanged.

B) My concept of 'outrageous distance' is anything beyond 20 feet. When mine searches & tells me results accurate within 50 yards (impossible with triangulation) I find that unacceptable or outrageous compared to my Garmin or when using a GPS puck. Yet sometimes even my trusty stand-alone nav devices report 'outrageous' distances.

C) No, carriers do not change policies on a case by case basis. However, they do make special allowances for preferred contractors. Without companies like the one I am with, you'd not have a network to use your phones on.

12-18-08 01:54 PM
296 ... 89101112
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD