I need gps on my curve. Is there an app or is it even possible?

I need to be able to put in coordinates...

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-21-09 07:18 PM
    Blackstar - see the gps subforum.

I don't know what kind or if that bb has a gps but you can a separate Bluetooth gps to most BB's.
    03-21-09 07:56 PM
    Third party apps on a VZW curve will not work. With OS 4.5, VZNAV and BBMAPs only
    03-21-09 08:01 PM
    You can enter coordinates in Google Maps.

But the GPS on the Verizon Curve won't work with Google Maps so it's only half a solution.
    03-21-09 10:07 PM
    I thought in previous discussion that you can get a gps puck to use thru bluetooth, but don't know what programs that would be (garmin?). Search the forums there are numerous discussions.

03-21-09 10:10 PM
    If it works it works. You can try it and see. I am refering to internal or other installed software.
    03-21-09 10:17 PM
    I went to the gps forums, there are lots of options there...

Some said to unlock your gps on your vzw phone, i did what they said and bbmaps seems to be right on, but I don't see where I can enter coordinates.

I also downloaded Blackstar but it says "No GPS receiver available" when I try to open it up...

Any ideas?
    03-22-09 12:30 AM
    Interesting can you post a link to how to unlock the GPS? there is no way to do this other than to upgrade to 4.5, which unlock GPS on the pearls and curves for VZNAV and BBMAPs. I am not aware that BBMAPS can have coordinate entered. I have keard in the past that a puck may work, but I have never tried.
    03-22-09 08:34 AM
    Google Maps works with the GPS on 8330, with OS 4.5. Works fine on mine.
    03-22-09 08:59 AM
    Google Maps works with the GPS on 8330, with OS 4.5. Works fine on mine.
    What carrier are you with?
    03-22-09 09:05 AM
    I went to the gps forums, there are lots of options there...

Some said to unlock your gps on your vzw phone, i did what they said and bbmaps seems to be right on, but I don't see where I can enter coordinates.

I also downloaded Blackstar but it says "No GPS receiver available" when I try to open it up...

Any ideas?
    Verizon still keeps the gps locked on many/most of their BB's except you can use Verizon Navigator ($10/month) or BBmaps. Other 3rd party apps like Blackstar will not work UNLESS you have a separate Bluetooth (BT) gps unit. I have an 8830, BT gps and Blackstar works.
    03-22-09 10:21 AM
    The only third-party app VZW allows access to their network is BBMaps. No other have submitted theirs for approval or agreement.

There is no locking of the GPS.

03-22-09 02:04 PM
    On blackberry cool today, there is story about new GPS products from Trimble. This is one big reason I want my gps enabled. These are geocaching, hiking , etc. apps. I currently have to carry a portable gps for these types of activities even though my phone has a perfectly good gps!!!

Could anyone comment on whether or not these apps would work on the upcoming niagra, the current storm, or even my old curve (which i am pretty sure because its not the same gps functionality; agps vs. dual mode gps, will not work)?
    04-01-09 07:22 PM
    On blackberry cool today, there is story about new GPS products from Trimble. This is one big reason I want my gps enabled. These are geocaching, hiking , etc. apps. I currently have to carry a portable gps for these types of activities even though my phone has a perfectly good gps!!!

Could anyone comment on whether or not these apps would work on the upcoming niagra, the current storm, or even my old curve (which i am pretty sure because its not the same gps functionality; agps vs. dual mode gps, will not work)?
    The GPS chip on the Storm is dual-mode and would support what you're looking for IF you can find an app that runs on BlackBerry.

Rumor has it that the Niagara will have at least what the Storm has, if not a next-gen chip.

You are correct on the Curve - no way, no how.

One thing I'd like to mention is that the best smartphone GPS functionality will never be as good as some lower-end dedicated GPS devices. It will always be an after-thought on smartphones, instead of the primary function.

04-01-09 08:29 PM
    These apps from Trimble are for BBs. Supercharge your BlackBerry with Trimble Outdoors GPS applications for your outdoor lifestyle!

However, says it doesn't currently support vzw, but does seem to support cdma 8330, so i guess that means sprint.

This should support dual mode gps from vzw, but not sure why not.

Agree that cell phone gps is no match for even lower end standalone gps, however, for what i do which is hiking and boating, getting my position to within 50' , heck even 100' is great.
    04-01-09 09:00 PM
    These apps from Trimble are for BBs. Supercharge your BlackBerry with Trimble Outdoors GPS applications for your outdoor lifestyle!

However, says it doesn't currently support vzw, but does seem to support cdma 8330, so i guess that means sprint.

This should support dual mode gps from vzw, but not sure why not.

Agree that cell phone gps is no match for even lower end standalone gps, however, for what i do which is hiking and boating, getting my position to within 50' , heck even 100' is great.
    8330 with GPS keychain puck should drive the software for you. Otherwise a Storm should do it.

All within just 2-4 meters.

04-01-09 09:33 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD