Thanks VZW for making BB maps work!

I tried the geotagging of a photo this weekend an this does not work, at least yet.

I also tried an app called Where and Green Finder- both no go. (Green Finder states they do not support Verizon but since the GOS opened I figured why not...)

While this BB maps option is a step in the right direction, the possibility of any VZW - BB being better than the iPhones GPS features seems to be hampered by VZW.

I can somewhat understand the desire to block NAV programs since they have one, but than again choices are good.

Anyone else wonder what the point of VZW disableing the GPS for positioned based news, weather and more is?

Maybe a VZW rep can explain - sorry I just don't buy the standard VZW security concern response.
    12-08-08 01:53 PM
    The way Verizon implements the aGPS function requires 3rd party apps to modify their code. You can read about it here: http://forums.crackberry.com/f61/ver...ck-gps-109412/. I suspect you'll see an update from Google soon that enables Google Maps to access the internal GPS.
    12-08-08 05:12 PM
    The way Verizon implements the aGPS function requires 3rd party apps to modify their code. You can read about it here: http://forums.crackberry.com/f61/ver...ck-gps-109412/. I suspect you'll see an update from Google soon that enables Google Maps to access the internal GPS.
    I see your point. But that does not take into account why the built in geotagging for the camera on curve with 4.5+os does not work. Maybe someone could elaborate this..
    12-08-08 09:54 PM
    Verizon has hijacked phone functions.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-08-08 11:29 PM
    I see your point. But that does not take into account why the built in geotagging for the camera on curve with 4.5+os does not work. Maybe someone could elaborate this..
    That's the first time I've heard the geotagging mentioned in this context. I don't have an explanation for why it doesn't work. Here's a thread that shows it working on the Storm: http://forums.crackberry.com/f86/geo...better-107617/

I don't have a camera on my 8830, so I can't try any of the settings that are discussed. If you get yours to work, please post and let us know how you did it.
    12-08-08 11:59 PM
    it should technically be unlocked and working.. geotagging that is..

it may be a os issue from rims part?

I am not sure to be certain but I do know that it works on my storm and I do not have vz navigator installed or on my account

bb maps and geotagging works..

A google representative said they are working on a update to allow google maps to work on the storm. I assume this update will be good for all the blackberry's on verizon's network..

Hope this helps.
    12-09-08 02:06 AM
    If JeffH works for VZW he should be promoted so he can educate the VZW reps!
    12-10-08 09:55 AM
    Geotagging pics does not work in any configuration or method. This has me stumped. I'm surprized more VZW Curve owners here aren't interested in this..
    12-10-08 11:18 AM
    I guess I don't see the usefulness of geotagging photos...

Examples?
    12-10-08 01:38 PM
    I noticed the geo tag didn't work on my curve, and while dissappointed, I figure it will eventually. Vzw moves at their own pace.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-10-08 01:45 PM
    I guess I don't see the usefulness of geotagging photos...

Examples?
    I agree, I have it enabled on my curve, but I don't really know what it is.

So just to clarify, if I have a 3rd party app (like let's say a golf application) that can utilize GPS, it won't work unless the program is re-written to use the VZW code?
    12-10-08 01:47 PM
    I agree, I have it enabled on my curve, but I don't really know what it is.

So just to clarify, if I have a 3rd party app (like let's say a golf application) that can utilize GPS, it won't work unless the program is re-written to use the VZW code?
    Yes. Apps other than BB Maps will not work with the GPS as of right now.
    12-10-08 01:55 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD