I went to two different VZW stores yesterday trying to decide between a S2 and a Droid. Both stores told me that I DID NOT have to pay to get the GPS to work on the phones. I was specifically asking about to Google Turn By Turn on Droid. So has something changed with VZW or were both reps clueless?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-15-09 09:43 AM
    I went to two different VZW stores yesterday trying to decide between a S2 and a Droid. Both stores told me that I DID NOT have to pay to get the GPS to work on the phones. I was specifically asking about to Google Turn By Turn on Droid. So has something changed with VZW or were both reps clueless?

Its awesome and it comes on the droid, not paying any extra!
    11-15-09 09:53 AM
    Google navigation is free and the best phone navigation on the market. I second its awesomeness!

11-15-09 10:09 AM
    Let me rephrase the question.
    I know that Verizon has "crippled" it's phone's GPS, making you pay for VZ Nav for the GPS to work on the Storm. I don't mean that you have to use VZ Nav specifically for your nav program. I mean you have to pay to have the GPS even work. (with VZ Nav or any other GPS software) My question is, have they (Verizon) changed this? Does the GPS no longer require you to pay a monthly fee for VZ Nav before it will even be activated on the phone?
    11-15-09 10:32 AM
    On their newer phones, Storm(1 and 2), and the Tour - the gps is NO longer tied to using Verizon Navigator. The gps works with 3rd party apps such as gpslogger, garmin nav, blackstar and other apps. The googlemaps for the BB's do not (yet?) include turn by turn, voice directions. We can hope that they do eventually offer it.
    11-15-09 10:44 AM
    Verizon does not cripple the GPS in the storm, tour or storm2. That means you can use a 3rd party GPS with it or you can subscribe to vznav.

11-15-09 10:55 AM
    All blackberry phones except Storm 1 & 2 and Tour require VZW Nav in order to unlock the GPS so nothing has changed.

And as far as I know its never been "crippled" on the Storm.

Last edited by NurseBerryAddict; 11-15-09 at 10:59 AM.
    11-15-09 10:56 AM
    All blackberry phones except Storm 1 & 2 and Tour require VZW Nav in order to unlock the GPS so nothing has changed...
    That is not quite correct. Any Verizon BlackBerry running OS4.5 can use BBMaps with the internal GPS. That's the only app that works besides VZNav, but it does work. It's been a year since Verizon officially released OS 4.5 for the 8830. I no longer have any hope that Google will ever work with it.
    11-15-09 12:18 PM
    I realize that it can use bbmaps however it is still not unlocked. I do have google maps working but it only works through cell tower triangulation so it's not very accuarate.

11-15-09 01:03 PM
    GPS is neither activated nor deactivated, blocked or unblocked. Period.

If the device is capable of autonomous GPS operation, then it works without carrier assistance. If it is not capable of autonomous GPS operation, then it requires carrier assistance. Whether or not the carrier charges for that assistance is up to the carrier.

VZW charges for the assist.

Storm 1/2, Tour, Omnia 1/2, HTC Touch Pro 1/2, Droid, etc. do not require assistance, so whether you buy VZNavigator for these phones is up to you. Curve 83XX, Pearl, XV68XX, XV6900, etc. require assist, so if you want GPS navigation, you're stuck with the carrier options.

Again - GPS is neither activated nor deactivated, blocked or unblocked. Class dismissed.
    11-15-09 01:23 PM
    That was well-stated. As a corroborating example, if I turn off the radio on my Tour, the GPS continues to operate. BBMaps remains connected. If I turn off the radio on my 8830, BBMaps immediately loses the satellite lock. It regains it when I turn the radio back on.

11-15-09 01:26 PM
    Thank you Twins for the final word. I suppose the reason for my response is due to everything I've read regarding the GPS deal on VZW which states it is locked on certain phones unless you pay for VZW Nav in which case it's unlocked. Of course, I have been told the same thing from VZW reps. So I guess I've been schooled. Thanks!

11-15-09 08:52 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD