I got a postcard from Verizon that said that I am eligible for an early upgrade. What is odd is that my date for my new every two is April 2010.

So I called anyway to see what kind of discount I could get. I specifically asked about the Tour. The guy told me that if I upgrade thru him I could get a Tour for $269.99 with a $70 rebate, my total would be $199.99! Does this sound like a legit deal? I'm concerned that there's some kind of catch. It would be a new 2 year contract but I'm not going anywhere so that doesn't matter.

I'm hesitant because the Tour is so new. Any opinions out there?
    07-17-09 10:43 AM
    Same price online promotion also

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-17-09 10:46 AM
    I say go for it and try it out.
    07-17-09 10:47 AM
    Same price online promotion also

Lol yeah i think its the same...
    07-17-09 10:50 AM
    I got a postcard from Verizon that said that I am eligible for an early upgrade. What is odd is that my date for my new every two is April 2010.
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe the "new every two" would net you a credit of $35, $50 or $100 depending on your plan.

The "early upgrade" is just that, you can upgrade your phone, (when signing another 2 year commitment). I believe this can be done at the 1 year mark, (there may be additional fees associated with it). You can get a new phone at the contract price but you wouldn't get the $ credit of the new every two program.

This is my understanding of the two programs.
    07-17-09 10:55 AM
    I'm not eligible, but if Verizon Wireless would like to make a quick $269.99, they could send a promotion my way. As much as I would like to have the Tour, I can't see myself paying Full Retail of $489 for a phone with no WiFi capabilities. If I could pay less than full retail...then...goodbye Curve.

07-17-09 10:59 AM
    I'm hesitant because the Tour is so new. Any opinions out there?
    As much as I would like to have the Tour, I can't see myself paying Full Retail of $489 for a phone with no WiFi capabilities.
    I'm comfortable stating that I will be using my curve until a stable WiFi enabled Verizon blackberry makes it to market.
    Until then the curve is just too rock-solid dependable to switch away from.
    07-17-09 12:06 PM
    I'm comfortable stating that I will be using my curve until a stable WiFi enabled Verizon blackberry makes it to market.
    Until then the curve is just too rock-solid dependable to switch away from.
    WiFi or no, the Tour is showing some of the problems we warned about last month. It is a decent design, unlike Storm, but QC isn't as good as it should be.

So you are smart to wait, regardless of reason.

That $199 price is what I've been offered, too. I am not on NE2, nor do I go with a contract. It is the price I'd get with a 2yr contract.

Last edited by TwinsX2Dad; 07-17-09 at 01:19 PM.
    07-17-09 01:16 PM
    What are QC issues?

07-17-09 01:26 PM
    What are QC issues?
    (Q)uality (C)ontrol

Issues can stem from not researching thoroughly enough to overlooking flaws in design and function.
    07-17-09 02:14 PM
    Quality Control. Ripples in the screen, loose case parts, including battery doors, OS lagging & sudden electrical malfunctions.

The malfunctions may be related to the creaky cases, but I doubt it.

Heat seems to affect it more than many phones - don't leave it in the car, even for a few minutes, in the heat or direct sunlight.

07-17-09 02:14 PM
    Thanks for the opinions everyone. The more I think about it, the more I think I'm going to wait. The offer is good until August 31st, but I'm thinking I'll just wait until April and upgrade then.

IMO I don't like to get really new versions right away. There are always issues that need to be fixed. You all just justified my feelings of wanting to wait. Thanks again!
    07-17-09 03:23 PM
    You can't use your early upgrade combined w your new every two which is why its 199 99

07-17-09 03:27 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD