T-Mobile’s Rumored Project Dark: handsets and rapid network expansion? [UPDATED] : Boy Genius Report

I'm not saying I'm going to switch, but this could be the knock-out punch for Sprint, and it will certainly have an affect on AT&T and VZW new-adds if this is true.
    10-11-09 03:57 PM
    this has already been mentioned
    10-11-09 03:58 PM
    10-11-09 04:02 PM
    Believe me, you get what you pay for. But this may commoditize the services in ways AT&T and VZW don't want to fit in their model.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-11-09 04:16 PM
    Believe me, you get what you pay for. But this may commoditize the services in ways AT&T and VZW don't want to fit in their model.

In that article what it stated is that it will mainly attract customers
    from sub carriers. But u never know.
    10-11-09 04:36 PM
    This is nothing more than an attempt to bolster value for as many customers as possible, by concentrating resources in densely populated areas. Sprint is doing the same thing with WiMAX.

T-Mobile/DT does not have the resources to pull off anything coming close to a nationwide network. So, as they can afford it, they will upgrade a metro area & locally advertise it. Anyone who lives on the outskirts of any of these metro areas will be left in the dark with Project Dark.

What will ultimately happen is they will oversell their network, which will mean their claims of "up to 21Mbps" will be nowhere close. Pinning their flagship as the BlackBerry 9700 will guarantee this, as the BlackBerry platform, with its proxy, is incapable of handling the higher speeds.

So watch it as a curiosity - as the article mentioned, their "more for less" strategy will attreact customers from sub-carriers, like Boost - those who have lower credit ratings & who can't afford to leave those metro areras - the Walmart shoppers.

10-12-09 01:06 AM
    Kinda fun to see what some of these carriers will do to stay afloat these days...
    10-12-09 04:22 AM
    Kinda fun to see what some of these carriers will do to stay afloat these days...
    And the fine print is often revealing - especially the disclaimer that says, "Service not available in all areas."

Like yours.
    10-13-09 08:46 AM
    And the fine print is often revealing - especially the disclaimer that says, "Service not available in all areas."

Like yours.

What are you talking about?!?!?

Verizon gets service EVERYWHERE all other carriers do...

Their PRLs doesn't not neg Verizon...
    10-14-09 02:46 AM
    It got my attention too, then I remembered how much I can't stand TMO
    10-14-09 07:22 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD