I recently got the invite to use google voice. And while its an amazing feature in more ways than one, theres a lot of talk about how calls are made and whether they are free or not using F&F. Information over the internet is very confusing.

Basically, if I add my google voice # to my F&F, does that mean I can download the GV dialer app and make 100% free calls on my blackberry? This is important also because I want to use the gv dialer to call long distance and I want to make sure I'm using google to call long distance and not my verizon account. I just no not know if the dialer is using my phone # itself to make the call.

On the flip side, if people call my google # and it gets forwarded to my cell phone showing my google # calling me instead of the caller, does this make the incoming call free as well?
    10-08-09 12:40 AM
    I don't believe the dialer is compatible.

Digital switches pass through the CID info, so you won't see your Google number.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-08-09 12:45 AM
    when I make calls using the app, the receiving phone shows my google # calling and not my vz #

Thats the exact same thing that happen when I call my google # first and then make another phone call through their automated system. The receiving caller also gets my google # calling instead of my mobile on the caller ID. I think this makes both ways to call out free, so long as ur google # is on ur F&F. I'm just afraid to make a long distance google call until I know for sure 100%
    Last edited by RicanMedic78; 10-08-09 at 01:05 AM.
    10-08-09 12:59 AM
    That's because the Google system is actually initiating the call. Inbound is simply virtual hunting/forwarding, so the calling number would show.

10-08-09 01:32 AM
    I use Google voice, and also the GV Dialer app. I have my Google voice # in my F&F. I have it set to ask what number I want to dial out prior to dialing the call. I have used and have confirmed on my bill that my Google Voice number is in fact free calling when I call out or someone calls in. I have it set up to show my GV# when people call into my phone using the GV #. It shows up on my bill as Peak M2MAllow
    10-08-09 09:14 AM
    I'm just afraid to make a long distance google call until I know for sure 100%
    What do you mean by long distance, outside the USA? I have not tried the international calling, so I don' t know about that if that is what you are talking about. I do dial all different area codes within the USA and those are free.
    10-08-09 09:17 AM
    Can't see why not. F&F terms are listed on the Verizon site.
    10-08-09 02:33 PM
    I have it set to ask what number I want to dial out prior to dialing the call.
    How do you set your blackberry to ask what number to use to call out on? See what I want is whenever I call someone I want to use my gv #. It's kind of a hassle to open the gv app, select address book, and then choose who I want to call. It's much easier to just call by typing in the name from my blackberry without using the app. Is there anyway to do this?
    10-08-09 03:25 PM
    You need to buy the app GVDialer to do what I posted.

10-08-09 06:16 PM
    What do you mean by long distance, outside the USA? I have not tried the international calling, so I don' t know about that if that is what you are talking about. I do dial all different area codes within the USA and those are free.
    yea, basically, if I add money to my google voice account for long dstance calls to europe (2 cents a minute to Germany), but use the GV dialer on my cell to make the call, will it be a total gv call or will my cell get the long distance charge as well....
    10-08-09 09:00 PM
    How do you set your blackberry to ask what number to use to call out on? See what I want is whenever I call someone I want to use my gv #. It's kind of a hassle to open the gv app, select address book, and then choose who I want to call. It's much easier to just call by typing in the name from my blackberry without using the app. Is there anyway to do this?
    just go through your phone book like you normally would. When you see the contact you want to call, just hit the menu button and select the option to call/sms using google voice.

You don't need to open the app to dial from it
    Last edited by RicanMedic78; 10-08-09 at 09:05 PM.
    10-08-09 09:03 PM
    You might want to read this.
    By John Poirier

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - U.S. lawmakers urged regulators to investigate Google Inc's ability to block expensive calls to rural areas to slash expenses, marking the latest spat between the Internet giant and AT&T Inc.

Google's Voice service is at the heart of a dispute between the world's largest online search company and Apple Inc over why Google's voice application, which could offer low-cost calls for users, is not available on the iPhone.

Google said Apple rejected it. But Apple said it was still studying it because the application alters the iPhone's telephone functionality and user interface.

AT&T Inc, the exclusive U.S. carrier for the iPhone, has complained that Google has the ability to block calls, which U.S. phone carriers are prohibited from doing.

Dallas-based AT&T says that Google would have an unfair advantage if Google's Voice service is not subject to the rules applied to phone operators.

On Wednesday, a group of 20 Republicans and Democrats in the U.S. House of Representatives, mostly representing rural areas, wrote a letter to the Federal Communications Commission to investigate the Internet company's ability to block calls.

"We are formally requesting an investigation by the FCC into the nature and function of Google Inc's voice service," they wrote in the letter to FCC Chairman Julius Genachowski.

An FCC spokeswoman on Thursday declined to comment. The FCC has already sought information from Google, Apple and AT&T, the biggest U.S. telephone carrier.

Separately, Genachowski said the FCC would soon open an inquiry to examine fees some phone companies like Sprint Nextel Corp and T-Mobile pay their bigger rivals AT&T and Verizon Communications Inc to connect cellphone calls.

In a letter to Senator Daniel Inouye, a Hawaii Democrat, Genachowski said the agency in the next 30 days will seek public comment on ways to create an "appropriate analytical framework" to assess competition in the special access market.

In its fight with Google, AT&T has said the Google Voice service was blocking costly calls to phone numbers in certain rural areas in order to cut down on expenses.

An AT&T spokesperson said on Thursday that once policymakers collect the data from an investigation, they can determine if Google is enjoying a "double-standard."

For years telephone companies have complained to the FCC that third-party companies route adult chat and free conference calls through rural exchanges in order to generate fees. The FCC prohibited carriers from blocking such calls.

A Google spokesperson on Thursday criticized AT&T for falling behind in payments for calls made through rural exchanges, as alleged in a recent letter to the FCC by an attorney representing some rural carriers.

Google has said its Voice service is not a traditional phone call because it originates from a Web software tool and should not be regulated like telephone companies.

In the Wednesday letter, lawmakers including House Energy Commerce Committee members Steve Buyer, an Indiana Republican and Charlie Melancon, a Louisiana Democrat, said they find Google's position "ill conceived and unfair to our rural constituents."

"A company should not be able to evade compliance with important principles of access and competition set forth by the FCC by simply self-declaring it is not subject to them without further investigation," the lawmakers wrote.

(Editing by Matthew Lewis, Bernard Orr)
    10-09-09 04:19 AM
    just go through your phone book like you normally would. When you see the contact you want to call, just hit the menu button and select the option to call/sms using google voice.

You don't need to open the app to dial from it
    This can only be done if you have the gv dialer application though correct? If I just have the google voice app I can't use this method right? Thanks for your help.
    10-09-09 01:37 PM
    This can only be done if you have the gv dialer application though correct? If I just have the google voice app I can't use this method right? Thanks for your help.
    Incorrect. I have the Google Voice app and it works just as the person described.
    10-09-09 02:45 PM
    You will need:
    1. iskoot app for your blackberry (connects to skype account)
    2. Skype account activated w voice feature (see web for pricing) you can do pre-paid or monthly service (i have $12.99 Global)
    3. Verizon account w 900 min (single line) or 1400 min (family share) to be eligible for Friends and Family

After everything activated use iskoot to dial any number from your list
    (Iskoot redirects your phone call to national number - add this number to your F&F list)

ENJOY UNLIMITED CALLING!

similar to google voice and MYFAV from T-mobile

To ricanmedic78 .. This should be better option for you when you get monthly service (no contract)
    Last edited by mboguc; 10-10-09 at 02:34 PM.
    10-10-09 02:30 PM
    it should work with the blackberry app just fine. Thats how I use it. The thing I'm trying to find out is if u use the app on ur phone to make calls, will it route it to ur verizon account and use ur minutes anyway. This is especally important to me if I attempt to make a long distance call using the google app, I want to make sure verizon isnt charging me for long distance.

It also helps to know if the calls remain free if u add your google # to ur favorite 5. So far I have added that and the access # to my fav 5 to see if it works. Its hard to keep track as I usually have a very busy say, however, I will try to see if this works.

If anyone knows for sure, please do tell
    Last edited by RicanMedic78; 10-11-09 at 07:28 PM.
    10-11-09 07:26 PM
    If your GV number is in your F&F list, you can just call it from your phone and after authenticating with your PIN select 2 to dial a call. After you enter the number, Google will dial the call for you and will announce the cost as it connects you.

To your phone, you are calling an F&F number so it doesn't burn plan minutes.

This method is only inconvenient to me when I am driving...otherwise it is worth the extra step.

I also have my GV settings configured to send the GV number to my phone on incoming calls so these calls don't consume plan minutes.
    10-11-09 11:28 PM
    If your GV number is in your F&F list, you can just call it from your phone and after authenticating with your PIN select 2 to dial a call. After you enter the number, Google will dial the call for you and will announce the cost as it connects you.

To your phone, you are calling an F&F number so it doesn't burn plan minutes.

This method is only inconvenient to me when I am driving...otherwise it is worth the extra step.

I also have my GV settings configured to send the GV number to my phone on incoming calls so these calls don't consume plan minutes.
    Yea, thats exactly how I do it now to be safe. I'm pretty save in that long distance works free this way as well (well, on google rates instead). The question is, does the app make the call the same way... That would be so much easier!

As a precaution, I also added my access # to my F&F. Someone said on google help that when you call out from the app, it uses an access # that, if not in ur F&F, will make ur call use minutes from Verizon.

At the end of the day, its all confusing! ugh!
    10-12-09 08:10 AM
    Also, I've heard that access number changes on a month to month basis. So you have to continually change that access number in your F&F. That's why GV Dialer is such a better option IMO.
    10-12-09 11:23 AM
    If you add the GV access number to your F&F and your Google Voice number you will have free calls. I have my access number on my A-List on AT&T and all my out calls on the google voice app are FREE.
    10-13-09 09:45 AM
    If you add the GV access number to your F&F and your Google Voice number you will have free calls. I have my access number on my A-List on AT&T and all my out calls on the google voice app are FREE.
    I did that and just noticed that the access # changed over night. I heard that this was possible and that it happens once a month or so.
    10-14-09 08:12 PM
    Wait a minute.... So I can lower my cell minutes and use the friends and family with google?
    10-14-09 08:19 PM
    so far yes, however, if u use the mobile app, u have to also add the access # to ur F&F. The access # is the # that comes up on the screen when u make a call using the google app. You also have to go into your google voice settings and change it so that your # shows up on your caller ID when someone calls u. Then incoming and outgoing should be free as far as I gather

Now, if u call ur phone first and make a call thru the automated google prompt, then u wont need to add ur access # to your F & F
    10-14-09 08:26 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD