Hey everyone. I just got Google voice for my 8330 and want to make free calls to Canada. I'm pretty positive calls are free to Canada with GV, so I'm trying to figure out how to get everything set up correctly. I have the FamilyShare/1400 minute plan, added my GV number to my friends and family and downloaded the app for my phone. I did some research and some people say that when you call your GV number it actually calls out with a different number or something, so in the end you get charged for the call.

Does anyone have any experience and success in doing this? If so can you shed some light on the right path to take so I don't get charged? Thanks so much.
    11-23-10 02:13 PM
    In order to dial Google Voice, becasue of the change in outgoing numbers depending on where you call, you can call your contacts using the following method:

Include the GV dialing string in your address contacts, so you can dial through GV with one click. The contact's number would be:

*82GGGGGGGGGGppXXXXpp2ppNNNNNNNNNN#

G=your 10 digit GV number
    N=the number you want to call
    X=your GV PIN
    p=pause

*82 sends your caller ID if it's blocked. 2 tells GV you want to call out. If you have GV set to not require a PIN if you're calling from a recognized phone, drop the PIN and two pauses from the string.

*82GGGGGGGGGGpp2ppNNNNNNNNNN#

I programmed these numbers as the numbers in any of my contacts which I wanted to use Google Voice. Not the most efficent but it works AND if your GV number is listed in your Friends and Family they will be free.

Hope that helps
    SK1 likes this.
    11-24-10 09:59 AM
    Awesome, thanks so much. How do you dial a pause on the 8330?
    11-24-10 01:27 PM
    Awesome, thanks so much. How do you dial a pause on the 8330?
    It should let you type in a "p" from your keyboard. The only other thing I am not 100% sure of is if you need to set up Goole Voice as your Voicemail before this works. I know that I have GV as my Voicemail and do not use Verizon's VM at all. I am not sure if that is what allows the *82 to dial into your GV account.

To get details, if you have not done it already, on how to use your GV account as your voicemail you can go into your GV account on any computer and into Voice Settings. There is a button you can then click next to your cell number to turn this on for your phone. It gives you the exact steps to follow for set-up (and removal if you find out you don't like it).
    11-24-10 02:32 PM
    Uhh, what?

My GV # is on My Circled Friends and Family and when I called it by dialing it directly, the lady says "please enter your passcode" so I do, then enter the # I'm calling.

If you call your GV # that is on your F&F it will be a free call.
    11-28-10 11:34 PM
    Uhh, what?

My GV # is on My Circled Friends and Family and when I called it by dialing it directly, the lady says "please enter your passcode" so I do, then enter the # I'm calling.

If you call your GV # that is on your F&F it will be a free call.
    Different on the Droid's then the Blackberry's. The Droid software allows for better integration with the phone. The Blackberry version basically sucks and this is the best way to call directly through your GV number.
    11-29-10 01:29 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD