I am running 4.5.0.127 and I have read that for some reason it will not let BlackBerry Maps find a GPS lock. However i also have Google Maps and it does work. I was curious can I/should I delete BlackBerry Maps since it will not work?
    04-24-09 04:10 PM
    Try launching it, then from the BB button menu, choose "Start GPS Navigation"

It should work for you then.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-24-09 05:02 PM
    Try launching it, then from the BB button menu, choose "Start GPS Navigation"

It should work for you then.

It started the GPS Navigation but will not find a satellite.
    04-24-09 05:51 PM
    Kk - try this:

Options>Advanced Options>GPS

Make sure both Device GPS & Location On are selected - save, then try. If it still doesn't work after these changes, do a battery pull, then try BBMaps again. Should work.

04-24-09 06:09 PM
    Kk - try this:

Options>Advanced Options>GPS

Make sure both Device GPS & Location On are selected - save, then try. If it still doesn't work after these changes, do a battery pull, then try BBMaps again. Should work.

I followed your directions. Still no BlackBerry Maps. It continued looking for satellites and said i was facing North. I was looking east at the ocean. Google Maps works however. I think it has something to do with .127 software.
    04-24-09 07:03 PM
    I am running 4.5.0.127 and I have read that for some reason it will not let BlackBerry Maps find a GPS lock. However i also have Google Maps and it does work. I was curious can I/should I delete BlackBerry Maps since it will not work?
    Upgrade your OS to .131 and that should fix the problem. There is something with .127 what causes this problem.
    04-25-09 11:01 AM
    I followed your directions. Still no BlackBerry Maps. It continued looking for satellites and said i was facing North. I was looking east at the ocean. Google Maps works however. I think it has something to do with .127 software.
    Neither Google Maps nor BBMaps will be able to tell which way you are facing if you are not moving. Your BlackBerry does not have a magnetic compass. GPS determines your direction of travel and can't tell which way your BlackBerry is pointing if it's not moving.
    04-25-09 01:28 PM
    I got rid of BBMaps since Gmaps came out. Haven't had a problem yet.
    04-25-09 07:55 PM
    I got rid of BBMaps since Gmaps came out. Haven't had a problem yet.
    Hey, Thanks! I don't like having programs that do not work. I will get rid of BBMaps now and not worry with it!
    04-25-09 10:06 PM
    Hey, Thanks! I don't like having programs that do not work. I will get rid of BBMaps now and not worry with it!
    GoogleMaps works with tower triangulation - you will not get an accurate location with it, unless you feel 2-5 miles is accurate enough.

Couple that with it being from the company most likely to screw with your privacy, you might think of getting rid of Google completely.

[EDIT]
    Reference added for basis: Google Report
    [/EDIT]
    Last edited by TwinsX2Dad; 04-25-09 at 11:06 PM.
    04-25-09 10:58 PM
    My google maps says within 7 meters right now...

Running version 3.0.2

Haven't looked into privacy issue yet.

04-25-09 11:14 PM
    My google maps says within 7 meters right now...

Running version 3.0.2

Haven't looked into privacy issue yet.
    You're on a Storm, while they are on Curves. Storm runs full GPS, while the Curve requires data connectivity to proprietary VZW equipment.

So yes, yours would work, whereas theirs will not.
    04-25-09 11:17 PM
    You're on a Storm, while they are on Curves. Storm runs full GPS, while the Curve requires data connectivity to proprietary VZW equipment.

So yes, yours would work, whereas theirs will not.
    Dang mobile site not showing device types.

Sorry for confusion.

04-25-09 11:19 PM
    Dang mobile site not showing device types.

Sorry for confusion.
    I hear you - I cross it up all the time.

It almost looks odd seeing folks' user panels & signatures, since most of my activity here is from my BB.
    04-25-09 11:23 PM
    GoogleMaps works with tower triangulation - you will not get an accurate location with it, unless you feel 2-5 miles is accurate enough.

Couple that with it being from the company most likely to screw with your privacy, you might think of getting rid of Google completely.

[EDIT]
    [/EDIT]
    Who wants to screw with my privacy?
    04-26-09 09:20 AM

[EDIT]
    [/EDIT]
    04-26-09 09:54 AM
    He was talking about google. With google, you have no privacy.
    04-26-09 09:55 AM
    HOW do they do that? How bad is google maps to have on my Berry?
    04-26-09 10:06 AM
    I downloaded google maps, it uses only data, am I right?
    05-05-09 02:35 AM
    Yes, Google Maps uses your data plan and cell connection to download maps as needed.

05-05-09 06:14 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD