Has anyone heard if and when Google will update the maps application to fully support the GPS on the VZW Curve?

Currently BB Maps is dead on, Google maps is usualy 1000+ meters off
    01-13-09 05:59 PM
    Strange.... my google maps works fine.
    01-13-09 06:41 PM
    Has anyone heard if and when Google will update the maps application to fully support the GPS on the VZW Curve?

Currently BB Maps is dead on, Google maps is usualy 1000+ meters off
    That's because it's not using the GPS at all, just the cell tower triangulation. I would hope it would be soon, though, b/c I don't like BB maps much at all...
    01-13-09 06:46 PM
    Vzw has it locked for the 3rd party apps. They just unlocked the gps on bb maps & of course vz nav. Numerous discussions on here about it, its vzws doing.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-13-09 07:46 PM
    Actually I saw a recent post that said it was a bug in GoogleMaps causing it not to work. Don't know whether it's true or not.

Don't misunderstand me, I'm all for a good conspiracy theory on how Verizon has it secretly locked for GoogleMaps, but if they just want to make money (via VZWNavigator), why would it be unlocked for BBMaps, which is free and not making them a dime?
    01-14-09 09:52 AM
    right. google maps doesn't work on storm yet either. it may be a while for the curve. i like bb maps so far...but i also subscribe to vz nav.
    01-14-09 11:58 AM
    Vzw has it locked for the 3rd party apps. They just unlocked the gps on bb maps & of course vz nav. Numerous discussions on here about it, its vzws doing.

I don't think so. I'm pretty sure it's a Google issue.
    01-14-09 03:23 PM
    Google Maps GPS on BlackBerry Storm - Google Mobile Help

I've been following that thread for awhile now and the latest from Google, if I'm reading correctly, is that they are not going to support Vzw phones for now due to some restrictions.

Somebody on that forum keeps pointing out that the reason why it doesn't work with Vzw is that Google is mining data (like locations and searches) from GMM and Vzw doesn't approve of that.

Someone also pointed out that if you force the phone to connect to GSM and try using GMM that it will use the GPS but the maps won't appear as you need data to get the maps. Kind of interesting.

As I been reading back to back from different forums, Vzw has truly unlocked the GPS for the Storm as I read different apps working with the GPS as well as geotagging. All other BB's (current curve, pearl, 8830) GPS are just limited to BBMaps and VZNav.

Hopefully the next set of BB's coming out for Vzw come truly unlocked like the Storm, making it a worthy upgrade. Hmmm, business tactic.....Vzw wants me to upgrade to the latest to get GPS, sure why not.
    Last edited by Krod301; 01-15-09 at 12:52 AM.
    01-15-09 12:37 AM
    VZW CSR's have said before that the reason they lock the GPS is for security.

Not sure why they think they need to provide security about where you are. If this is truely the case then why not have a option to accept and allow the use?
    01-15-09 09:01 AM
    How does BB Maps work? I can get driving driving directions, but that is it. When I launch it comes up with a map it shows me about 40 miles away from where I am at.
    01-15-09 09:09 AM
    You have to turn GPS on.

At least on the 8330 it's as follows:
    Options>Advanced Options>GPS>GPS Services = "Location On"

Then in BBMaps: Menu button>Start GPS Navigation.

It should zero in on where you are within a few feet.

EDIT: Note: BlackBerry Maps is not supported by AT&T.
    Last edited by miatapaul; 01-15-09 at 09:35 AM.
    01-15-09 09:28 AM
    Hey Krod301, that is an interesting thread @ Google. Seems to indicate there is alot of business behind the GPS for google maps and most other 3rd party apps as well.

Seems we just need to be happy whith what we have and if at some point Google maps works better so be it.
    01-15-09 09:33 AM
    You have to turn GPS on.

At least on the 8330 it's as follows:
    Options>Advanced Options>GPS>GPS Services = "Location On"

Then in BBMaps: Menu button>Start GPS Navigation.

It should zero in on where you are within a few feet.
    Thanks. The GPS Data Source is set Device GPS (the only option).
    GPS Services is set to Location on.

In BB Maps there is no option for Start Navigation. Would have to do wiuth the version I am running (4.3.0.127).
    01-15-09 09:37 AM
    did you notice my edit?

Note: BlackBerry Maps is not supported by AT&T.

Not sure if that applies to the 8300 only since it doesn't have GPS or all the ATT phones. Someone with ATT can better answer that.
    01-15-09 11:58 AM
    BB Maps doesn't have useful things like My Location. I don't always know where I am... but Google Maps can at least give me a general idea.
    01-18-09 01:40 AM
    BB Maps doesn't have useful things like My Location. I don't always know where I am... but Google Maps can at least give me a general idea.
    What? BB Maps most certainly does give you your location ... Menu > Find Location > Where Am I will give you a much more accurate location than you will ever get with Google Maps, at least on a Verizon Curve.
    01-18-09 06:00 AM
    I downloaded Google maps for the traffice and other features. I use bb maps for location. Between the two, I should be fine.

It's not as slick as an iphone, but works!

01-18-09 05:10 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD