So I have verizon and I just downloaded the google map application and I opened it up and it knew my exact location.

I thought verizon disabled their GPS, how did it know where I was?
    01-04-08 03:45 PM
    They do. The NEW GMM uses cell tower location to locate you roughly within an area.

Did it show you a broad light blue circle, or did it show you a specific bright blue dot of your location?
    01-04-08 03:49 PM
    it will triangualte your position using cell towers...not true gps...

unfortunately the big knock agsainst it is that often WAY off... to the tune of several thousand meters... which is ok...but...well its pretty far...

-db
    01-04-08 03:55 PM
    Your location is about 1700 meters. Maybe you find out a little bit no so precise, but it's free.
    01-04-08 08:28 PM
    is google maps better than the default maps feature that comes with the pearl 2?
    01-05-08 05:02 AM
    cate I really like it for its map capabilitites...but its not accurate enough for "turn by turn" directions...

but the maps are spot on...

If you actually KNOW where you are...

and you know how to use a map...

its great.

but it wont tell you "turn in fifty feet..."

but i used it a week ago while on vacation with the family...it saved my bacon twice...

-db
    01-05-08 05:40 AM
    cate I really like it for its map capabilitites...but its not accurate enough for "turn by turn" directions...

but the maps are spot on...

If you actually KNOW where you are...

and you know how to use a map...

its great.

but it wont tell you "turn in fifty feet..."

but i used it a week ago while on vacation with the family...it saved my bacon twice...

-db
    i will be sure to keep both! thanks!
    01-05-08 06:00 AM
    I actually hid the bb maps it came with.. I'm just used to google...

-db
    01-05-08 07:44 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD