04-22-09 07:04 PM
39 12
tools
    Another cool application inhibited by our dictatorship communist loving bastards at Verizon!
    02-05-09 08:17 AM
    starting to get frustrating.

i just hope that once the app store comes out that the gps apps in there will work with verizon.
    02-05-09 08:52 AM
    Another cool application inhibited by our dictatorship communist loving bastards at Verizon!
    lol that just made my morning
    02-05-09 09:05 AM
    LMAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    02-05-09 09:14 AM
    At annoying as it is that Latitude is limited by lack of GPS, it turns out, 800m precision (about what I get w/ gMaps on my 8130) is good enough for my friends to get a sense of where I am.

Any more precision and my life could end up like that episode of Seinfeld where George keeps popping in on Jerry... dentist's chair, confessional, etc!

Also, the coffee shop and the office are close enough to be indistinguishable in the blue zone.
    02-05-09 10:23 AM
    2400-3200 meters is a little too much... 2 miles????? Come on now, this is ridiculous.
    02-05-09 10:39 AM
    Completely ridiculous !!
    02-07-09 12:17 PM
    From what I've read, this is more Google's fault than Verizon's (at least with the Storm). Complain on the latitude/google maps forums to get them to pay attention to this.
    02-07-09 09:10 PM
    Lol at calling vow communist

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-08-09 01:10 AM
    From what I've read, this is more Google's fault than Verizon's (at least with the Storm). Complain on the latitude/google maps forums to get them to pay attention to this.
    im interested too see where you read this. as far as i can see its 100% verizons fault, they limit the os and hardware, where as most of the other wireless companys just leave it be
    02-08-09 02:04 PM
    well, regardless of any other factor,the 1 fact is... GPS IS DISABLED!!!

Stop defending them! MY GOD!!! Do u have stock invested in them! I been with them for 8 years and I could be with them for 8 more years and I will never forget that "I am not verizon! I am the CUSTOMER!" If what they do is not valid or even .... just somewhat questionable, it harms "the customer!" Thats right folks, u and me, left or right, republican or democrat! The few of u ppl defending verizon to death are customers getting short handed urselves!!! I'm at a real loss here as to the aggressive statements by some ppl here! This is more a post in regards to all the rough harsh "GET OVER IT" comments by ppl who do not work or have real affiliation with verizon except for being exactly what I am, A CUSTOMER!
    Last edited by RicanMedic78; 02-09-09 at 12:53 AM.
    02-08-09 10:07 PM
    thats funny my gps works fine
    02-09-09 12:40 AM
    I don't know why but google maps have never picked up my exact location like Trapster or Blackberry Maps have.

02-09-09 12:11 PM
    im interested too see where you read this. as far as i can see its 100% verizons fault, they limit the os and hardware, where as most of the other wireless companys just leave it be
    Sorry for the delayed response - I forgot that I posted here.

From the very long google support thread for this

This is the most interesting post there:
    Hi,

I work for Verizon. I am in a position to assist Google in utilizing standalone GPS on the BlackBerry Storm. Who do I need to contact in order to get started? I assume that the Google Answers staff can see my email address and email me the appropriate contact info.

It appears that Google Maps on the Storm can use GPS when the handset is in GSM mode, but the app cannot use GPS when in Verizon's native CDMA mode. Perhaps the application was only tested to work with GSM carriers? Whatever the case, the fix should be an easy one. Within the JSR 179 GPS settings criteria, CostAllowed must be set to 'false' in order to force Standalone GPS and ignore the carrier's assistance server. For reference, please see this BlackBerry KnowledgeBase article:

BlackBerry
    knowledgecenterpublic/livelink.exe/fetch/2000/348583/800332/800703/What_Is_-_Best_practices_for_designing_GPS_applications_for _BlackBerry_smartphones_operating_on_CDMA_networks .html?nodeid=1446048&vernum=0

Within the article, please note the following comment: "Note: Verizon does not support the Standalone mode. For BlackBerry Device Software 4.7 and later, Standalone mode is open to applications that are signed by Research In Motion." Verizon Wireless only blocks unauthorized access to the carrier assistance server, not Standalone GPS. The application must also be properly signed by RIM in order to utilize standalone GPS.
    So it sounds like Google needs to get Maps signed by RIM to go along with new security put in place by OS 4.7, as well as make a settings change to accommodate Verizon.

And Rican, seriously, no need to go crazy over what was a simple statement. We can have a civilized discussion here, right?
    Last edited by Mr. Spontaneous; 02-16-09 at 10:56 AM.
    02-16-09 10:50 AM
    I can't speak for Verizon crap cause I use T-Mobile.
    However from the aspect of Google Maps and Latitude, I must give my hats off to them.

Yes, people complain because GPS doesn't work, however the Cell Tower locator works decent enough. I was in Hawaii last week. It put me within 3000 meters on the map. That is a 2 mile circle.
    Yeah I know it isn't the within 10 meter I am used to with GPS but considering that your not using GPS it is pretty good.

I like the Latitude feature because I can install G-Maps on my wife's phone. Then register with Latitude and track her should I need to. For that purpose a 3000 Meter circle is very useful should her phone not be withing GPS viewing.
    02-16-09 11:27 AM
    And Rican, seriously, no need to go crazy over what was a simple statement. We can have a civilized discussion here, right?
    I GET PISSED GOD DARN IT I GET PISSED!!!!

ok... meds taken! I'm done now!
    Last edited by RicanMedic78; 02-16-09 at 12:06 PM.
    02-16-09 11:51 AM
    Sorry for the delayed response - I forgot that I posted here.

From the very long google support thread for this

This is the most interesting post there:

So it sounds like Google needs to get Maps signed by RIM to go along with new security put in place by OS 4.7, as well as make a settings change to accommodate Verizon.

The information in that article begs the question as to what third party apps are signed by RIM (if any).
    02-16-09 12:45 PM
    The information in that article begs the question as to what third party apps are signed by RIM (if any).
    I would guess any 3rd party apps with gps support (e.g. Poynt).
    02-16-09 12:53 PM
    I thought that ALL apps have to be "signed" in order to allow for install on a blackberry device. Something like a developer's key. When I was looking on the site it said it costs $20. Maybe I'm not getting what is meant by "signed."
    Last edited by perl_monk; 02-16-09 at 01:29 PM.
    02-16-09 01:19 PM
    I would guess any 3rd party apps with gps support (e.g. Poynt).

nope, doesn't work.
    02-16-09 01:24 PM
    nope, doesn't work.
    Yes, it does. It uses the Standalone GPS just fine.
    02-16-09 01:27 PM
    If you have Poynt installed and press the map it button it will plot you correctly on the google maps app. You just have to have google maps selected in the options part of Poynt.
    02-16-09 01:42 PM
    Has anyone taken into consideration the fact most BlackBerry GPS is assisted GPS, which uses a substantial amount of data? Also Google charges VZW for database access through a-GPS.

02-16-09 02:07 PM
    If you have Poynt installed and press the map it button it will plot you correctly on the google maps app. You just have to have google maps selected in the options part of Poynt.
    Yeah. I'm guessing Poynt feeds the GPS coordinates (lat, long, elevation) into Google Maps for that. Hopefully the big G will come through with proper GPS support...
    02-16-09 02:30 PM
    GPS is definitely unlocked. I was very ill today when I first started reading up about this. It's unlocked googlemaps just doesn't know how to use it. Poynt works as someone above stated and quickly gives me my location on google maps. Now, the only thing that upsets me is for some reason google maps still loses me when I go into latitude. I go from a red pin at my house to nowhere lol. The issues here are actually on google's end which is surprising. If there tech team is half as fast as google/gmail, we'll see an update shortly.

I do have a question to add to the discussion on this thread though.

Is it possible to tether the GPS to a laptop and use a program through that to run it. I used to have a teletype (I think that's what its called... atleast I think thats close) GPS that I bought to use with my i730 (again, I think that is right) phone from verizon. It worked fine, but was glitchy to say the least and I finally got mad and did away with it. I could run a USB cord from my laptop to my GPS receiver and use their map programs through my laptop which was cool because it was huge. An inverter for the laptop and a car charger for the storm, would mean I could have a huge GPS for long trips
    02-16-09 09:24 PM
39 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD