I am going to Europe for two weeks next week and was thinking of taking my Storm 2 with me or my S1.

What would I need to do and what would be the cheapest best option?

I have the old S! unlocked but its not activated on VZW at the moment. Should I activate it on my line and take it or just grab a SIM card in Spain and stick it in?
    Last edited by kermalou; 12-14-09 at 03:14 PM.
    12-14-09 03:01 PM
    I think the foreign card is the best way but you'll have a weird number. I think its the cheapest way though

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-14-09 03:33 PM
    I agree, getting a SIM in spain would probably be the best idea, and probably the cheapest.
    12-14-09 04:34 PM
    Call VZW global support and they will unlock you S2 and then you can use your S2 there with a different carrier.
    12-14-09 11:56 PM
    Doesn't VZW offer an international package with data?
    12-15-09 05:29 AM
    Doesn't VZW offer an international package with data?
    He's looking for a cheaper way to go.
    12-15-09 08:36 AM
    I am going to Europe for two weeks next week and was thinking of taking my Storm 2 with me or my S1.

What would I need to do and what would be the cheapest best option?

I have the old S! unlocked but its not activated on VZW at the moment. Should I activate it on my line and take it or just grab a SIM card in Spain and stick it in?
    Both phones offer global coverage with quad-band GSM and European-band 3G.

You have to ask yourself -- are you looking for cheap data or cheap calling? The international data plan through Verizon is not too bad. It's an extra $35 and gives you unlimited data (not tethering) while over there. I don't know if there are pre-paid SIMs available overseas for data.

However, if it's voice, definitely get a SIM over there.

If it were me, I'd bring both. Keep the S2 on your regular plan, just add international data. And buy a pre-paid SIM for the S1 for any calls you want to make. That's probably not the cheapest idea, but it accomplishes what you're looking for.
    12-15-09 09:00 AM
    Honestly I'm not trying to hijack, but I'm curious. If you use a foreign SIM in your Storm (or any other global phone) it allows you to make free local calls, but if you're calling home to the States don't you get hit with long distance still?
    12-15-09 09:15 AM
    I just got back from 2 weeks in Germany. I almost upgraded my curve early to get a world phone like an S2....then I looked at the prices. I found an unlocked phone on the European freq's and got a 20 Euro SIM card that lasted me the whole two weeks. Only 9 cents a MIn back to the states. Can't beat that.
    12-15-09 01:49 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD