Hey all quick question hope to get a quick answer to. Im leaving for canada in the morning. I live in New york, and wanted to know if when im in canada am I able to use my blackberry messenger without adding the global plan that verizon told me I had to add for the weekend. I have a blackberry storm on a family plan with unlimited texting. So anyone who has traveled please let me know asap. thanks.
    04-15-10 08:55 PM
    When you're in Canada, if you're using BBM you will incur roaming charges depending on your carrier pricing. Its standard across the industry I'm afraid, so best bet is to add it on just in case.
    04-15-10 09:12 PM
    Get the global plan or turn off your phone. I live in jersey and traveled to Toronto for 2 days. I used my storm both days not even thinking about the charges. I somehow racked up almost 600$ in voice and data and roaming charges.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-15-10 11:54 PM
    It really depends on your usage. I've had customers who only used email or bbm do pretty well on trips to canada.

The roaming for data is only approximately $2 per megabyte. Voice calls are $.69 per minute. Text is same as domestic. ($.20 each or plan allotment.)

This is great for light usage. But if you plan on breaking out Pandora or Youtube while you're up there, don't think twice about the globalemail plan. Just get it. As for a Nationwide + Canada plan, this isn't really intended to be prorated, and can be quite messy if you're on a familyshare, especially if text messaging is involved.
    04-16-10 12:32 AM
    It really depends on your usage. I've had customers who only used email or bbm do pretty well on trips to canada.

The roaming for data is only approximately $2 per megabyte. Voice calls are $.69 per minute. Text is same as domestic. ($.20 each or plan allotment.)

This is great for light usage. But if you plan on breaking out Pandora or Youtube while you're up there, don't think twice about the globalemail plan. Just get it. As for a Nationwide + Canada plan, this isn't really intended to be prorated, and can be quite messy if you're on a familyshare, especially if text messaging is involved.
    Hey Polychrome,

Assuming you work for Verizon, i already have the Canada plan for voice. What is the Global plan? Is that just adding data to the Canadian voice or is it worldwide? And is there a way to add data for a reasonable cost? I go to Canada several times a month and just have my phone set to "Block data when roaming". It works for me, but funny how you get used to having the data access.

Edit: Holy Cr*p, $129.99 per month just to get coverage in Canada? I know it covers the rest of the world too, but I don't go to the rest of the world. Amazing that I can get unlimited USA coverage for $30 a month, but to add Canada costs over four times as much.
    Last edited by heresolong; 04-16-10 at 05:37 PM.
    04-16-10 04:31 PM
    Hey Polychrome,

Assuming you work for Verizon, i already have the Canada plan for voice. What is the Global plan? Is that just adding data to the Canadian voice or is it worldwide? And is there a way to add data for a reasonable cost? I go to Canada several times a month and just have my phone set to "Block data when roaming". It works for me, but funny how you get used to having the data access.

Edit: Holy Cr*p, $129.99 per month just to get coverage in Canada? I know it covers the rest of the world too, but I don't go to the rest of the world. Amazing that I can get unlimited USA coverage for $30 a month, but to add Canada costs over four times as much.
    There's a difference with Global Email and Global Access...which one are you looking for?
    04-17-10 12:23 AM
    Use sms while in Canada, you will not incur additional charges with sms to and from your handset. You will incur additional charges if you open any email while in Canada, I suggest adding the International Data Plan for an extra $30. You would be able to to use BBM and email until your heart is content, don't make calls if at all possible, this is the cheapest way to do it while in Canada, trust me.
    04-17-10 10:27 PM

This is great for light usage.
    Poly - That's exactly the scenario that ends up with bills in the hundreds of dollars. Your BB will constantly exchange data back and forth as it checks email. It exchanges megabytes of data on a regular basis. If you don't turn off the data services entirely, you'll end up with a big bill upon your return.

Even if you get the $129/mo international plan, its not a big deal for a few days. You can call Verizon and turn it on just before you leave. Spend a few days in Canada, then call and turn it off. $129/mo is $4.50/day, and Verizon will pro-rate the monthly plan for the days it was in effect. Better to pay $20 for a few days and not worry about useage. At $2/megabyte, email alone will be more than $20 for a few days.
    04-18-10 09:55 AM
    Poly - That's exactly the scenario that ends up with bills in the hundreds of dollars. Your BB will constantly exchange data back and forth as it checks email. It exchanges megabytes of data on a regular basis. If you don't turn off the data services entirely, you'll end up with a big bill upon your return.

Even if you get the $129/mo international plan, its not a big deal for a few days. You can call Verizon and turn it on just before you leave. Spend a few days in Canada, then call and turn it off. $129/mo is $4.50/day, and Verizon will pro-rate the monthly plan for the days it was in effect. Better to pay $20 for a few days and not worry about useage. At $2/megabyte, email alone will be more than $20 for a few days.
    WHOA! The Global Data plan is NOT 129! its 64.99 a month, which includes Unlimited E-mail and Web out side the US (or 69.99 for certain GSM). But it is not 129, someone has confused Global Access with Global E-mail because unless she plans on using a PC Card she does not need the 129 plan and it sounds like that was never even mentioned. To the OP, please call Global services, they will help you get the right info, instead of this...wrong info. Call them at 1-800-711-8300
    04-18-10 12:28 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD