I'm going on a ski trip to canada tomorrow, staying till thursday.

Does anybody know what roaming is like? Will my data plan still work or is there an additional roaming fee for that?
    02-28-09 05:18 PM
    Don't get caught in a bad math problem dude. Do your research well!!!!!!!
    02-28-09 05:19 PM
    www.vzw.com/international You can see the per minute charge and charges for data there for all countries VZW covers
    02-28-09 05:30 PM
    The u-tube clip is interesting. I did not attempt to see what he should have been charged.

If the Lastraid site is correct (actually, it is not easy finding the actual rates via that link - you really did need to search) they have the following:

For data:

Pay Per Use Plan: $0.002/KB

U-tube video: Now does that equal .002 CENTS? I don't think so. That would be a fraction of a CENT, rather than the same fraction applied to a DOLLAR.

Now if I had been in Canada for last month's bill when I used 42,811 kb the cost would have been

42,811*.002 = $85.622

But someone may be free to correct me since the values can be confusing (since $0.02 would be two cents)

I don't have my bill for when I was in Canada about a year ago but for the two weeks and very little emailing but some, I recall the costs were not very bad.

It appears calls are .69/minute????
    02-28-09 06:10 PM
    yes .69 per minute and data is 0.002 cents per KB not 2 cents.

Once you know how to use the site it is actually quite easy
    02-28-09 06:27 PM
    All this and no one is going to share info on the super-secret Canada-free calling plan?
    03-01-09 12:14 AM
    Don't get caught in a bad math problem dude. Do your research well!!!!!!!
    UNBELIEVABLE!!! ARE YOU SERIOUS?? YOU NEED TO BE A "MATHEMATICIAN" TO FIGURE THAT OUT???
    03-01-09 04:16 AM
    get the nationwide with canada plan if you want to make calls.

ALL txts are free.

If you want to use data, get the global email plan. 64.99
    03-01-09 07:35 AM
    All this and no one is going to share info on the super-secret Canada-free calling plan?
    Okay, I'll "byte" and ask about it. After all, I want my gps to work for free, why not Canada!
    03-01-09 10:42 AM
    UNBELIEVABLE!!! ARE YOU SERIOUS?? YOU NEED TO BE A "MATHEMATICIAN" TO FIGURE THAT OUT???
    I have a feeling he initially called Verizon to find out the charge and was most likely quoted the wrong value as in:

0.002 CENTS per kilobyte.

Which he believed is a fraction of a CENT, rather than the somewhat larger fraction of a DOLLAR.

But I can't speak for the u-tube person. I recall calling Verizon when I had my trip to Canada planned a year ago. It probably was somewhat confusing hearing the 0.002 number. I'm sure some reps mess up the dollar/cents part of it, too. I wonder if I can call Verizon and find out what my charges were back a year (no, I canNOT access my work account online). I did receive/send email and used data for gps-ed to log my x-country ski trips and find the backcountry roads for the ski. I only made one or two phone calls - that was never the issue.
    03-01-09 10:49 AM
    The website quotes 0.002 per KB, if it comes out more than that they will credit they difference. kinda like if something priced wrong in a store they will honor that price.
    03-01-09 10:51 AM
    How do people get confused by this? The rate is $0.002/KB which is two tenths of a cent per kilobyte.

Text is not free, it is per your text plan.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-01-09 01:58 PM
    Just for the record. I am not confused
    03-01-09 02:01 PM
    How do people get confused by this? The rate is $0.002/KB which is two tenths of a cent per kilobyte.

Text is not free, it is per your text plan.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Because DOLLARS are usually:

Dollars.Cents ((9.75)

So, two-thousanth of a dollar is an unusual expression. Again, if you listen to the u-tube, it appears as if the customer might have initially been told it was that fraction of a CENT.

Maybe if verizon offered an example showing kilobytes of data and the cost of those kilobytes it might be more easily understood, for example from my last bill had I had to pay for them:

I used 42,811 kilobytes.

42,811*.002 = $85.622

A quick calc - drop the last 3 digits and multiply by 2.

(as an aside, boy do I have to increase my data to get near to 5gig!!!! )
    03-01-09 05:59 PM
    I just thought it was an interesting video and funny to listen to
    03-01-09 06:03 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD