Ill be taking a cruise July 3rd and will be taking my berry, To use my phone on the ship via the ships satellite will cost me $2.50/min, .50 to send a text, .5 to receive a text. Once Im in the Bahamas the rate drops down to $1.99/min.

The plan I have with VZW is "NATIONWIDE TALK FAMILY SHARE PRIMARY 1400 $80"

I have a skype account, and a google voice number, not sure if that helps at all..

Is there a cheaper way I can go about this?

Thanks all.
    Last edited by HaZe_X; 06-05-10 at 04:13 PM.
    06-05-10 04:11 PM
    With VZW....no. those are the rates available.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-05-10 11:10 PM
    Another option leave the BB at home and enjoy your vacation!

06-05-10 11:15 PM
    I agree. Ygfchi

06-06-10 12:37 AM
    Ill be taking a cruise July 3rd and will be taking my berry, To use my phone on the ship via the ships satellite will cost me $2.50/min, .50 to send a text, .5 to receive a text. Once Im in the Bahamas the rate drops down to $1.99/min.

The plan I have with VZW is "NATIONWIDE TALK FAMILY SHARE PRIMARY 1400 $80"

I have a skype account, and a google voice number, not sure if that helps at all..

Is there a cheaper way I can go about this?

Thanks all.

UNFORTUNATELY thats the only rates you can get, but let me tell you that you wud be charged for VM also, coz even thats considered as incoming call since you are gonna use the MTN satellite service. also all your incoming calls are charged @ $2.99 pm. and the worst is even if you receive a miss call thats gonna charge you @ cruise rates. you are lucky u on VZW if you wud be on tmo thats $4.99 incoming/outgoing/VM/missed calls.

have fun
    06-06-10 04:17 PM
    Get an international data plan, which is about $65 monthly. (Can be prorated.) With this, you have unlimited access to email, IM (Including BBM), Push-to-talk in CDMA areas (assuming you have somebody to talk to), etc.

Fair warning: Whether we're talking voice or data, cruise ships use satellite and tend to be laggy.

No, skype is not an option internationally.

Edit to Add: I do tend to agree with the "leave it at home and enjoy the vacation" mentality myself. As a person in global support, I see waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too many people freak out when their device doesn't work perfectly on someone else's network, and act like their entire vacation is ruined. :P If you have an open mind, take it. If it's gonna be a stress factor, don't.
    Last edited by Polychrome; 06-06-10 at 06:28 PM.
    06-06-10 06:24 PM
    I just got off the phone with Verizon Wireless Customer Service. I am going on a Carnival Cruise next week and this is what she told me:

1. Upgrade to the global data package the day I leave.
    2. Remove the global data package the day I return.
    3. The total additional cost will be $64.99 - $29.99 = $35.00 / 30 days = $1.17 per day x 5 days = $5.85
    4. I can use all data features unlimited for the length of the cruise (BBM, Yahoo IM, AIM, Windows Live, Web Browser, Email, etc) but voice, SMS and MMS would all be additional charges.
    5. Dial *228 and choose option 2 the day of the cruise BEFORE boarding the ship.
    6. Go into Options | Mobile Network and change "While Roaming" to Off and leave "Data Services" On. This will ensure no calls or text messages come in and run your bill up.

Even though I made her double check (and she did), I would still feel better if someone can confirm that this actually works, and I will only pay the extra $6 or so.
    06-07-10 02:08 PM
    It is not 30 minus 65. You're going to pay 65 instead which comes out to about 2.16 a day. Still not bad but its not gonna be no 6 dollars.

06-07-10 03:00 PM
    I think Supermario may have corrected your math. Your original math may be what it would cost EXTRA or over the normal rates.

My example - when I went to Europe last summer, I opted for the Global plan. My normal BIS $30/month was replaced by the Global $65/month and to reduce the price of phone calls to $0.99/minute, I also paid another $5/month. These numbers are all rounded.

And the costs were pro-rated. So for 3 weeks, I paid 1/4 of my normal bis rate, 3/4 of the Global rate. But those fractions can get confusing. So just figure it will cost an extra $40/month for Global and be pleasantly rewarded when you spend less time and therefore, less money.

But call again and make sure you understand and that such rates are available "AT SEA" as it were - it may only work in a port. But I know nothing about cruises and ship-board costs.
    06-07-10 08:31 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD