Hello everyone. I am currently not a blackberry user but have been in the past. I had the Storm for 5 months before I just couldn't take all the restarting and problems. I used an upgrade on another line that wasn't going to be used to get the new LG Env Touch. I do like this phone....has a lot of great features and what not. Now to the problem. I really liked having a blackberry and saw that Verizon is getting the Blackberry Tour soon. I am questioning if I should go back to a blackberry. I do love everything about them except paying the $30.00 for data. I do email somewhat and use the web browser here and there. So my question is, do you think that the Tour will be worth it to get rid of the touch for?? Thanks for the help!
    06-16-09 09:01 PM
    What do you need to do that the enV won't do?

Unless you need easy application loading, stay with the enV Touch. It has its issues, but sodo BlackBerrys & WinMos & Palms. The enV is easier on the monthly, doesn't seem like you're holding a waffle to your face & doesn't crash like a BlackBerry or other smartphones do.

The vast majority of BlackBerry & other smartphone owners talkied themselves into it because they thought it would be nice to have, then rationalize their purchase with whatever reason they can come up with.

Do you really need that email 60 seconds sooner? Can you tolerate frequent RIM outages? Do you enjoy waiting 5 minutes after a frequent battery pull for your smartphone to reboot?

$99 for full data/email/navigation/unlimited text & 700 min is a deal. With a BlackBerry or other smartphone, you pay more for the phone - often less functionality for what you need/want, all to be one of the cool people with a smartphone?

Stick with what you have. When LTE comes out in full swing, then make a big decision.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-17-09 05:14 PM
    I would definitely get the Tour, I am planning on getting it

06-17-09 05:52 PM
    I would definitly go for the Tour if you need a bb with VZ. Might be good idea to do a reality check like twins outlined above to see if you really need a berry. It would be easier on the wallet to have a "dumbphone".

06-17-09 05:59 PM
    Research in Motion introduces new BlackBerry Tour 9630

For all of the Soup du Tour nuts out there.

Is it just me or is Tour a really wishy-washy name? Sounds too European.

06-17-09 11:20 PM
    I used an upgrade on another line that wasn't going to be used to get the new LG Env Touch. I do like this phone....has a lot of great features and what not.
    I am in the same position as you except I have an LG Voyager 10000. I do not use my phone for business so I am looking for entertainment features. I am considering going to Blackberry when my upgrade occurs because I want to take advantage of applications like streaming radio. I haven't decided whether I am going with a Storm or Tour, but I will not be get another LG product.
    06-18-09 05:17 PM
    I would get it

I am getting it..

but bills and living are more important..

so if the 30 bucks a month will set you back a crap ton.. it may not be worth it.
    06-18-09 06:03 PM
    TwinsX2Dad... frequent RIM outages? I've had my 8330 since late November and unless it happened without my noticing I've yet to see an outage. Not being rude or anything but how often has it happened to you?

forkup
    06-21-09 02:20 PM
    I heard alot of good stuff about the tour so i might switch from the storm
    06-22-09 09:27 PM
    Guess it depends on your needs. I wanted a BlackBerry because I need to be able to work with Excel, Word, and PDF documents. I looked into a Windows Mobile phone, but I heard it has issues. I wasn't really a Palm fan. Most regular phones can allow you to check your Email using WAP 2. It's just not push Email. You can, however set your Email account to forward Emails to you as a text message using your Verizon Mobile address. The text would show up to 160 characters of the Email. If I wanted to read more, I would log into my Email account via my WAP 2 browser. It was a lot cheaper than the BlackBerry data plan.

06-22-09 09:41 PM
    All Depends what you want
    06-23-09 01:23 AM
    All Depends what you want
    HELLZ NAA! IT DOESNT EVEN HAVE WI-FI!!! LMAO
    06-26-09 12:27 AM
    HELLZ NAA! IT DOESNT EVEN HAVE WI-FI!!! LMAO
    UM yeah thanks so much for your contribution.

OP's other choice doesn't have wifi either. Not that Verizon customers need it, our phones all get 3G just about everywhere

Anyway that enV Touch you have is a solid phone, you just have to ask yourself if you need a BB/can afford BIS.
    06-26-09 12:42 AM
    TwinsX2Dad... frequent RIM outages? I've had my 8330 since late November and unless it happened without my noticing I've yet to see an outage. Not being rude or anything but how often has it happened to you?

forkup
    I've seen it happen 7-8 times since the beginning of the year. That doesn't count the regional issues or the problems I didn't notice.

But hey - I am on mine a whole lot more than most. I also have non-BlackBerry devices that pick up the slack, a luxury most don't enjoy.

Look through the following search - scroll down & see the number of complaints. Most are RIM caused.

http://forums.crackberry.com/search....rchid=17813933

Then there is this piece:

Massive email outage stymies BlackBerry users across USA; iPhones unaffected
    Tuesday, April 14, 2009 02:11 PM EDT
    BlackBerry users around the country were without e-mail for about 3 hours in a nationwide outage [on April 13] that affected users on all major wireless networks, Marguerite Reardon reports for CNET.

From about 1 p.m. EDT to about 4 p.m. EDT people who subscribe to a BlackBerry e-mail service through their wireless carrier instead of being offered the service through their companies, could not send or receive e-mail or access the BlackBerry Internet Service Web site. They also werent able to create new accounts, access their Internet mailboxes, integrate third-party e-mail accounts, or view e-mail attachments during this time, Reardon reports.

Subscribers on all four major U.S. wireless networksAT&T, Sprint Nextel, T-Mobile USA, and Verizon Wirelesscomplained that they had no access to e-mail until about 4 p.m. EDT, at which time they started getting a flood of e-mails that had been sent earlier in the day, Reardon reports.

RIM uses a centralized architecture to filter all its e-mail traffic and push it out to consumers phones. Critics of the BlackBerry service and architecture say that this centralized approach makes the service more vulnerable to outages. And indeed, the company has had some serious outages in the past. In April 2007, the companys enterprise service suffered a huge outage that left millions of corporate BlackBerry users without access to e-mail, Reardon reports.

MacDailyNews - Massive email outage stymies BlackBerry users across USA; iPhones unaffected

And a more recent report:

BlackBerry outage currently happening All-Aboard Telecom Weblog

It is becoming more & more frequent. According to one source I have at VZW, they have logged over 110 hours of nationwide RIM-caused outages since the beginning of the year, with more on localized levels. Someone at AT&T comfirmed this, but their estimates were about 20% higher.

With a dumbphone, no data, as long as the voice network is in operation, you don't care. Add smartphone data & all you need is voice and carrier connectivity. Get into BlackBerry and you now must rely on voice network, carrier AND the RIM servers. Voice rarely goes down. Carrier data rarely goes down, but the failure is higher than voice. Toss RIM into the mix & you will lose much more connectivity.

If you want to increase the odds of a reliable communications tool, that connects all the time, you need to get simple - the BlackBerry model is outmoded and, in this day & age of cost cuts & cheaper components, it is also asking for problems.

I am not saying to abandon your BlackBerry - just don't be shocked or surprised when that important email doesn't arrive on time, or even vanishes.

My other smartphones haven't missed a beat in the past six months.
    06-26-09 01:02 AM
    yes .
    06-26-09 02:33 PM
    I'm going for the tour!! I cannot wait for it to come!
    06-26-09 03:29 PM
    What do you need to do that the enV won't do?

Unless you need easy application loading, stay with the enV Touch. It has its issues, but sodo BlackBerrys & WinMos & Palms. The enV is easier on the monthly, doesn't seem like you're holding a waffle to your face & doesn't crash like a BlackBerry or other smartphones do.

The vast majority of BlackBerry & other smartphone owners talkied themselves into it because they thought it would be nice to have, then rationalize their purchase with whatever reason they can come up with.

Do you really need that email 60 seconds sooner? Can you tolerate frequent RIM outages? Do you enjoy waiting 5 minutes after a frequent battery pull for your smartphone to reboot?

$99 for full data/email/navigation/unlimited text & 700 min is a deal. With a BlackBerry or other smartphone, you pay more for the phone - often less functionality for what you need/want, all to be one of the cool people with a smartphone?

Stick with what you have. When LTE comes out in full swing, then make a big decision.

LMAO....Now that's funny! The other night I was talking to my gf and after I hung up my 7 year old came in to say goodnight and he asked "Dad....what happened to your face? It looks like someone pressed a small eggo waffle to your face" I laughed so hard I farted!
    06-26-09 05:57 PM
    LMAO....Now that's funny! The other night I was talking to my gf and after I hung up my 7 year old came in to say goodnight and he asked "Dad....what happened to your face? It looks like someone pressed a small eggo waffle to your face" I laughed so hard I farted!
    Heh - love it - with the Tour, you'll get Eggo waffle with train tracks!

06-26-09 06:28 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD