Hi all,

I may be traveling with friends to the Bahamas, specifically Paradise Island.

I have read all of the various threads regarding Global Usage and alll and I think I have most of it down.

1) Since it would only be a week, if I want access to my email/data/web, the best thing to do would be to go onto the Global Plan and have it prorated for the time I am there. According to VZW's international services website, that's $64.99, prorated and in place of my normal BIS plan for that time period.

2) Please see the attached pic below for Bahamas info from VZW's site. In that pic, it lists for "International Roaming" the costs for CDMA roaming. Does this mean they are CDMA tech down there? If so, does it mean I have to change nothing on the phone if I chose to place or receive a call on my VZW Tour (CDMA)? But under "Global Phone", which the Tour is, it lists a "CDMA" rate and a "GSM" rate. What does it mean that both of these are listed there? Again, any benefit to making any switch? And depending on the answers to these questions, what does it mean for my network speed when using data/web?

3) Calls To/From......so, I understand that the Global Plan still means I would pay per minute for calls. What happens on incoming? Do I only pay if I answer a call? If I ignore the call and don't pick up, I would have no cost? And do you pay these rates regardless of if it is a mobile to mobile VZW call? So dialing your own number to access your voicemail as a M2M call still will incur the intl call rates, right?

4) TXT.....I know you still pay the global rates for TXT. But while there, I can still use the ol' trick of sending an email to a phone using the TXT gateway (i.e., 123456789@vtext.com) and ave someone TXT my email, thus avoiding global TXT rates, right?

Thanks bunches for any info you all have. This gets confusing sometimes since there can be so much conflicting info.

And I know, some of you will say to leave the phone home while on vacation, but given my work, I need to at least have it "just in case". My coworkers wouldn't call unless it were an "emergency", but for 1 week, the added cost of the prorated global plan is not bad at all........

Thanks!!!!!!
    Last edited by jlb21; 05-04-10 at 08:27 AM.
    05-04-10 08:23 AM
    I can't answer for the Bahamas. But if I recall, you need to pay an extra $5/month, again prorated, to reduce the price of calls (as apart from data - $65/month is DATA). In Europe, last summer, calls were .99/minute since I "engaged" the extra $5/month. So, I'd suggest calling Global and getting the details.
    05-04-10 08:39 AM
    I will call them, but I don't know if I would plan on placing/sending any calls except for pure emergency purposes, hence my question of if you pay when I call is directed to your phone and makes it ring, or if you only pay if you pick up the call (i.e., press the send button).

But then again, for a 1-week proration of $5, probably worth putting that on there too just in case.....
    05-04-10 08:55 AM
    Hi all,

I may be traveling with friends to the Bahamas, specifically Paradise Island.

I have read all of the various threads regarding Global Usage and alll and I think I have most of it down.

1) Since it would only be a week, if I want access to my email/data/web, the best thing to do would be to go onto the Global Plan and have it prorated for the time I am there. According to VZW's international services website, that's $64.99, prorated and in place of my normal BIS plan for that time period.

2) Please see the attached pic below for Bahamas info from VZW's site. In that pic, it lists for "International Roaming" the costs for CDMA roaming. Does this mean they are CDMA tech down there? If so, does it mean I have to change nothing on the phone if I chose to place or receive a call on my VZW Tour (CDMA)? But under "Global Phone", which the Tour is, it lists a "CDMA" rate and a "GSM" rate. What does it mean that both of these are listed there? Again, any benefit to making any switch? And depending on the answers to these questions, what does it mean for my network speed when using data/web?

3) Calls To/From......so, I understand that the Global Plan still means I would pay per minute for calls. What happens on incoming? Do I only pay if I answer a call? If I ignore the call and don't pick up, I would have no cost? And do you pay these rates regardless of if it is a mobile to mobile VZW call? So dialing your own number to access your voicemail as a M2M call still will incur the intl call rates, right?

4) TXT.....I know you still pay the global rates for TXT. But while there, I can still use the ol' trick of sending an email to a phone using the TXT gateway (i.e., 123456789@vtext.com) and ave someone TXT my email, thus avoiding global TXT rates, right?

Thanks bunches for any info you all have. This gets confusing sometimes since there can be so much conflicting info.

And I know, some of you will say to leave the phone home while on vacation, but given my work, I need to at least have it "just in case". My coworkers wouldn't call unless it were an "emergency", but for 1 week, the added cost of the prorated global plan is not bad at all........

Thanks!!!!!!
    The safest way to know your not being charged for a txt is to e-mail instead, use BBM or use the RIM native data IM apps (AOL, GTalk, Yahoo, MSN).

You do not get charged for not answering a call, so your safe from that standpoint. Also, M2M doesnt apply since you wont be on VZW network. On the same token, your minute plan wont be affected either. You usage will be charged as you use it on a roaming rate.

I dont know about the networks available there but its possible that they have both CDMA and GSM as they do here. Same applies as here in the US except that on CDMA you will be roaming as well as on GSM. As for what the phone defaults to, I have no idea. But if roaming rates are different btwn the 2 networks, just go to network settings and choose the prefered one (e.g. ev or global).

Also, checking your VM is a roaming call. Getting YouMail or Google Voice helps with this because all your VM goes to a data app which means that checking your VM is always free on an int. data plan.

Hope this helps...
    Last edited by RicanMedic78; 05-05-10 at 08:54 AM.
    05-05-10 12:20 AM
    Thanks for the update. Given the amount of time I will be down there and the volume of calls I expect (next to 0), I will probably just go with the VZW global plan. If I need to talk to work for an extended period, I may get a SIM down there and just pop it in to make a return call.
    05-05-10 08:45 AM
    Thanks for the update. Given the amount of time I will be down there and the volume of calls I expect (next to 0), I will probably just go with the VZW global plan. If I need to talk to work for an extended period, I may get a SIM down there and just pop it in to make a return call.
    that wont work either. If you use a local sim, it will only benefit you if youre calling a local # within that country. If you use the SIM of that country to call the states, it will be long distance for that SIM card
    05-05-10 08:56 AM
    Couldn't I get something with some built in minutes that would b cheaper than VZW global dialing?

No biggie either way. I will be happy just limiting myself to Data/email/etc.
    05-05-10 09:28 AM
    Couldn't I get something with some built in minutes that would b cheaper than VZW global dialing?

No biggie either way. I will be happy just limiting myself to Data/email/etc.
    don't know if they structure long distance minutes on foreign SIM cards but at that point, even if they did, you'd have to factor in the difference btwn that price verse verizon's roaming price. At the end of the day, it might just be counting pennies, especially since your not even going using the long distance a lot anyway.

I see the prepaid SIM as a huge benefit when your visiting a country that you have family that you want to speak too or your on a business trip that requires a lot of business being conducted within that country. Those keep your calls to the local rate of your SIM. But once you call back to the states, your on long distance again (when using the SIM) so again, it might be better to save the SIM hassle and just eat up the cost difference.... if there is one.

Again, youmail is a great option for voicemail on top of the visual voicemail and other features it does well. I recommend it and like it a lot. Especially the custom greeting options it has. And with an international data plan, your set up your device to forward all your voicemails to the app which is 100% data and 100% free to listen to and sort out on a Global plan.
    Last edited by RicanMedic78; 05-05-10 at 11:38 AM.
    05-05-10 11:35 AM
    Not sure what VZW charges but with att international I was paying 1.99 a minute and txt is much cheaper. I also was there for extended periods since i was working on a project and found that a "majic jack" and my laptop was the best solution. I limited my cell calls to a minute or less and after I finished working for the day I went back to my condo and plugged in the majic Jack and talked all I wanted for free. PI and all of the Bahamas uses Batelco the state run service and it is pretty much useless alot of the time.
    05-05-10 02:23 PM
    2 Quick Questions:

Bahamas has both CDMA and GSM. Which one will provide the best data experience while there?

Also, domestically, if you have a voicemail, you get a free SMS along with that. What happens when someone leaves a voicemail message for me when I am abroad on the global plan?
    Last edited by jlb21; 08-20-10 at 09:57 AM.
    08-20-10 09:53 AM
    You could turn the phone off and just enjoy being away with the family????? Just food for thought! I'd probably be looking in to the rates myself.
    08-20-10 11:16 AM
    I am keeping with me for personal apps/data/twitter/etc. Work people know I am away and won't be bothering me.

Atlantis also has a Twitter account and they post specials/contests/etc., so it will be good to keep that going. For ~8/week over my usual data plan, to me it is a no brainer........
    08-20-10 11:35 AM
    Closing comments now that I am back.

I was glad I had my phone with me. I wanted it to stay in contact with twitter, personal email, etc. But most importantly, it was critical as my dog developed a hotspot while we were away. My kennel was able to reach me (yes, at $1.99/min) to ask what we wanted her to do. So that piece of mind was great.

Connectivity while on Global on Paradise Island was great. There were 2 times where I lost my connection to the BIS. A quick BP and all was swell.

For the ~ $8+ over my usual plan rates for the week, it was worth it to have the device with me.
    08-30-10 12:58 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD