Is it true that the unlimited email and web are gone? When did VZW get rid of this?!?!?! This was one thing I used to always sell VZW on to my friends. Now, they have this 75M and 200M plan that are rediculously expensive.

My friend signed up on the 75M plan, and got a message a day and a half into his 2 week trip that he had a 200.00 bill. It sounds to me like they didn't provision it properly. I can't imagine he was over that much already.

Are there better alternatives? When I go out of the country, I don't plan on really going over 75M, but you never know. How do you keep a handle on that? Plus, with proration, it sounds like you can really get screwed.
    02-28-11 11:36 AM
    EDIT: I removed my post. I wasn't looking at the Global packages.
    Last edited by valorian; 02-28-11 at 12:16 PM.
    02-28-11 12:12 PM
    Its the GLOBAL email and data I'm talking about.
    02-28-11 12:17 PM
    WOW!! i just noticed that! INSANE!
    02-28-11 12:27 PM
    Is it true that the unlimited email and web are gone? When did VZW get rid of this?!?!?! This was one thing I used to always sell VZW on to my friends. Now, they have this 75M and 200M plan that are rediculously expensive.

My friend signed up on the 75M plan, and got a message a day and a half into his 2 week trip that he had a 200.00 bill. It sounds to me like they didn't provision it properly. I can't imagine he was over that much already.

Are there better alternatives? When I go out of the country, I don't plan on really going over 75M, but you never know. How do you keep a handle on that? Plus, with proration, it sounds like you can really get screwed.
    Yes they did get rid of the Unlimited. Here is the new prices since it is more if you go to Europe, the Caribbean or other countries that have no allowance and charge per KB.
    02-28-11 12:36 PM
    Actually, after looking at that again ... my friend is in France which explains why he might have gotten hit with higher data charges.

I think we should all write VZW (I already have) and let them know that this pricing sucks.
    02-28-11 12:52 PM
    Previously they removed your unlimited domestic plan at 29.95 and then added the Global unlimited at 64.95. So the actual incremental cost was 35 which was prorated when you returned and switched back. Now you remain on your domestic plan and require global data FEATURE as an add on. Yes its expensive adding 100 per month for I think 75mb. They will prorate when you return but you have to make sure the data used is less than prorated amount of coverage if you terminate after your return in say 7 days. In other words data usage must be less than 7/30 times 75mb. If not leave it on for the needed time to cover. Hope this make sense.
    03-21-11 08:31 PM
    If VZW isn't careful with stuff like this, they will lose money as people might find it easier to either get a local phone/sim when travelling, or just not bring their berry with them.....
    03-22-11 08:36 AM
    If VZW isn't careful with stuff like this, they will lose money as people might find it easier to either get a local phone/sim when travelling, or just not bring their berry with them.....

CelloMobile.com has introduced an unlimited BB plan, check them out.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-26-11 09:25 PM
    Currently traveling in Asia, Verizon "assured" me that the CAR/EUR Global Roaming plan would work for me here. After getting 3 texts over two weeks (the latest indicating that I had racked up over $500 in Data Roaming charges), finally got ahold of someone at Verizon who could help. Simply put -- $0.02/KB is the standard rate in Asia and they no longer have any data packages outside of Canada/US/Mexico/Carribbean/Europe, fortunately they'll cover it this time.

However, after assuring them I would be switching to AT&T to rectify this, checked their plans and again, no Global Data packages (used to be similar to Verizon with $69.99 per month), and $0.0195/KB. Anyone know of a reliable carrier that has not eliminated their unlimited Global Data plans? $1K per month for data roaming is not quite palatable ...
    04-20-11 10:13 PM
    Currently traveling in Asia, Verizon "assured" me that the CAR/EUR Global Roaming plan would work for me here. After getting 3 texts over two weeks (the latest indicating that I had racked up over $500 in Data Roaming charges), finally got ahold of someone at Verizon who could help. Simply put -- $0.02/KB is the standard rate in Asia and they no longer have any data packages outside of Canada/US/Mexico/Carribbean/Europe, fortunately they'll cover it this time.

However, after assuring them I would be switching to AT&T to rectify this, checked their plans and again, no Global Data packages (used to be similar to Verizon with $69.99 per month), and $0.0195/KB. Anyone know of a reliable carrier that has not eliminated their unlimited Global Data plans? $1K per month for data roaming is not quite palatable ...
    Check T-Mobile, they have a competitive package that is shown available when activating a new line, but I could never find the feature elsewhere on their web-site. That's the only option I can think of.

While AT&T's Int'l data plans are more expensive as a "package", they'll probably save you money versus paying a per-KB rate...check that too...
    04-21-11 01:35 AM
    I'm not sure how you're using your phone, or what data you're using. If it was only data that I was looking for (which most of the time it is when I'm traveling) i would consider one of the following.

1) Get a different SIM card for your blackberry. Although, after a little research on this site, this isn't as easy as it seems as you have to have your carrier release your BB PIN. This seems like its a real pain in the rear. My suggestion is maybe pickup an unlocked BB somewhere on ebay and just keep it for travel. Don't pay the absolute rip off prices to a states side carrier for travel in a different country.

2) If you can stand the size of a 3G Ipad, I think thats the way to go. All 3G ipads (US:ATT model) are unlocked. You can just get a cheapo local data sim and be able to do just about everything you could want including skype video calling, etc. This is probably what I'm going to be using for int'l travel from now on. I can get all of my email, web browsing, maps, video conferencing, etc. The major disadvantage is the size. Its not something you really want to lug around if you're trying to go on "light" day trips. However, if I'm going that light I probably don't need my phone/ipad/whatever anyway!

PS ... Don't flame me for having an iOS device (or advocating) ... I'm a big BB advocate.
    04-21-11 09:28 AM
    Holy crap. I'm not sure I can calculate what my 3 week trip to Europe in 2009 would have cost but I used nearly 3gigs of data. Checking the web constantly for weather and phone numbers, looking up foreign phrases as well as just tidbits of local color as well as just checking news and home info. Emails were probably only about 5-10 per day.

Can anyone calculate what that would have cost under the new pricing????
    04-22-11 12:23 AM
    If I'm not mistaken it would be
    3145728*.02= $$62914.56

Geez. Crazy.
    04-22-11 09:48 AM
    If I'm not mistaken it would be
    3145728*.02= $$62914.56

Geez. Crazy.
    For Europe, that would be incorrect (but correct for say, Asia at $0.02/KB)...

For Europe, the first 70MB costs $100 (which equals about $0.0014/KB). The rest would be billed at $0.005/KB ($5.12/MB). That leaves about 3,074,048KB, @ $0.005/KB = $15,370.24. Totally unacceptable by any measure.

Believe it or not, AT&T's rates are worse.
    04-22-11 10:07 AM
    Absolutely! Ridiculous! The best way to go is to get a cheap SIM card for whatever device you're using. I would much rather keep my VZW SIM in (for convenience), but not for that much $$!

Can anyone enlighten me on how easy it is to get VZW to release your PIN, establish it for another provider, and then switch back again?
    04-22-11 10:46 AM
    I just read a thread that said you can switch BB, and it automatically releases your PIN. If that's the case, then I wonder how you switch it back.
    04-22-11 10:50 AM
    I'm glad I did not do the math. Three of us were using my then 8830 World Edition. I opted for the unlimited data and reduced phone call price. My friend called his wife twice before she joined us for the second Dolomite leg and we called for a few reservations - very little phoning. We really did a ton of data and checking gmail and weather. I recall figuring it really made sense and have been regularly recommending it. Now to find it it gone is not only disappointing but the results of the math are totally absurb. And frankly, I'm sure Verizon did not lose any money on me. If I recall the phone rates are about the same - pricy but still reduced somewhat. But they are nuts with that data.

I think the big problem is it is hard to get a BB sim card that provides both phone and data.

edited to add: I really don't recall a lot of wifi available and, of course, the 8830 did not have wifi. My current 9650/Bold does but, again, unless available, it is not a good option.

Obviously, Verizon is not in this for customer service but dividends for the stock holders.
    Last edited by F2; 04-22-11 at 09:25 PM.
    04-22-11 09:23 PM
    Obviously, Verizon is not in this for customer service but dividends for the stock holders.
    As every publicly traded company is. As a VZ shareholder I have no problem with that. My issue is that for such a long time, they had a simple, affordable Global Data package. It was a feature that set VZW apart from AT&T and at times, T-Mobile and Sprint.

If that was not a profitable feature as set up, then you don't throw the whole model out, the simplicity was a huge selling point. If it was a net-loss, then up the price a bit. It had been $65 for how many years? Yeah, costs go up. A $75 or $85 or even $100 unlimited device data plan would have had some groaning, but it still would have been better than this $2/$5/$20/MB crap through much of the world. To exclude Asia from any package pricing is simply absurd to me as well.

Instead, they're going to rely on the pricing model that sucks @ss, and say, "Yeah, but it is less costly than AT&T." That's not how you hammer the competition in my book.
    Last edited by Gawain; 04-23-11 at 11:03 AM.
    04-23-11 11:01 AM
    As every publicly traded company is. As a VZ shareholder I have no problem with that. My issue is that for such a long time, they had a simple, affordable Global Data package. It was a feature that set VZW apart from AT&T and at times, T-Mobile and Sprint.

If that was not a profitable feature as set up, then you don't throw the whole model out, the simplicity was a huge selling point. If it was a net-loss, then up the price a bit. It had been $65 for how many years? Yeah, costs go up. A $75 or $85 or even $100 unlimited device data plan would have had some groaning, but it still would have been better than this $2/$5/$20/MB crap through much of the world. To exclude Asia from any package pricing is simply absurd to me as well.

Instead, they're going to rely on the pricing model that sucks @ss, and say, "Yeah, but it is less costly than AT&T." That's not how you hammer the competition in my book.
    This is exactly what I said. They told the employees that these plans were supposed to "simplify" global data. Not only did it NOT simplify a damn thing it made it more expensive for the customer and more confusing and time consuming for the reps. The only ones winning here, is their profits. And I know its a profit company, I argue that point all the time but these new plans or lack there of, are so absurd!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-23-11 05:42 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD