I'm selling a phone and a prospective buyer wants me to send him the ESN number so he can "verify" it with verizon to make sure it is clear.

Is this ok to do? like is it safe to give it to him?
    06-14-09 12:57 PM
    Yes, perfectly fine and a good idea.

At Sprint, we can look up an account with just the ESN, or verify that it can be put on your account. We wouldn't give the caller information about the account unless they can authenticate ownership or permission.

As a customer calling Verizon, they seem to be even more strict about verifying who you are and if you are listed on the account to get info or make changes.

I wouldn't worry about it at all.
    06-14-09 01:03 PM
    Give him the number, it just due diligence on his part to verify the phone is not reported stolen
    or blocked for a back bill. Also remember to get the PIN released from your account.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-14-09 01:30 PM
    As the other have stated, I won't buy a phone from someone who does not provide the ESN for me to check.
    06-14-09 04:40 PM
    As the other have stated, I won't buy a phone from someone who does not provide the ESN for me to check.

this is exactly what I think..

I wouldn't risk it without making sure..
    06-14-09 07:05 PM
    There is nothing they can do with the ESN number to your account. Most buyers use it to check it the device is blacklisted.. good buying sense..
    06-14-09 11:17 PM
    Yeah I have sold a bunch of phones on ebay and have given it out and have never been hurt by doing it.
    06-15-09 12:34 AM
    where can u find the esn on an 8350i? is the esn the same as the imei number?
    12-12-09 08:32 PM
    Even of the ESN number is clear when checked, the original owner can report the phone stolen after selling it. Making the phone unusable and keep your money.

12-12-09 08:38 PM
    I do one better. When buying/selling a phone, I meet with the other party and call Verizon, then have activated at the time of the transaction
    12-12-09 09:02 PM
    I'm selling a phone and a prospective buyer wants me to send him the ESN number so he can "verify" it with verizon to make sure it is clear.

Is this ok to do? like is it safe to give it to him?
    I'm going to answer much different than the others.....my wife and I sell regularly on Ebay and I never provide the ESN to someone I don't know (which is everyone on Ebay). I never have any problem selling any phone.
    12-12-09 10:00 PM
    There's no reason not to. If he does buy the phone he'll get the ESN anyways -- so it's not like if there was a risk to get personal information he couldn't get it then.
    12-12-09 10:26 PM
    I'm going to answer much different than the others.....my wife and I sell regularly on Ebay and I never provide the ESN to someone I don't know (which is everyone on Ebay). I never have any problem selling any phone.
    I personally would never buy from you then. I have had customers try to activate phones they got online that were stolen or active on another account. So I would never get a used phone without checking.

12-12-09 10:28 PM
    20 posts were deleted!!!!! And FTR the original in thread warning was directed at BOTH! Anyways, if you think you all can play nice and get back on track, I will reopen the thread.
    12-12-09 11:25 PM
    Aw you deleted my commentary
    12-12-09 11:44 PM
    Aw you deleted my commentary
    Funny as it was, it was NOT helpful.
    12-12-09 11:52 PM
    where can u find the esn on an 8350i? is the esn the same as the imei number?
    Its not the same as an ESN per se, but yes you can use that to check with a carrier and see if it's been blocked since GSM and iDEN phones use SIM cards. Actually, I think any phone with a SIM slot has an IMEI...like my Storm.

12-13-09 03:31 AM
    Funny as it was, it was NOT helpful.
    Don't be hatin' yo.
    12-13-09 03:44 AM
    An ESN is the same as the MEID and IMEI. Numbers might be different but they still bring up the same phone.
    12-14-09 05:36 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD