i hope someone comes up with a hack that would restore the search engine options and put it in Verizon's face. They are the worst. I hate Bing. it is the worst search engine.
    12-28-09 10:41 PM
    Another thread. Wow. Are you guys not able to use your browser for anything but Google?
    12-28-09 10:48 PM
    The only problem I have with them pushing Bing through is that it eats memory and is an unused icon on my desktop. I have no use for a search engine icon on my desktop, if I need to search something out, I open my browser and google, dogpile, yahoo or whatever I feel like using just like I would on a desktop or laptop. The principal is also screwed up. Verizon is playing big brother and that bothers me.
    12-29-09 12:41 AM
    . I have no use for a search engine icon on my desktop, if I need to search something out, I open my browser and google, dogpile, yahoo
    Ok, so this is what I don't understand. I just opened my browser on my Storm and it allows me to search through Google. If you are able to do the same thing, what's the use of continuing to cry about Bing on your phone? I've pulled my battery multiple times since it's release and I'm still able to use Google in my Blackberry Browser. Please explain this?
    12-29-09 08:31 AM
    I was pi$$ed off at first when I found out VZW was doing this.

After I REALLY examined my alternatives, its not all that bad. I just installed the Google Search app and I'm as good as new.

Most of my searches are GPS related, so I don't use the Google search from my browser any way. I use Google Maps and do things like search for "Starbucks near me"

Yes I don't want Verizon to change the features of my phone, but as long as they don't block google search all together, I'll be happy.
    12-29-09 08:40 AM
    Ok, so this is what I don't understand. I just opened my browser on my Storm and it allows me to search through Google. If you are able to do the same thing, what's the use of continuing to cry about Bing on your phone? I've pulled my battery multiple times since it's release and I'm still able to use Google in my Blackberry Browser. Please explain this?
    Because people are only happy when they have something to ***** about
    12-29-09 08:45 AM
    Bing is actually not that bad of search engine at all...stop pissin & moanin.
    12-29-09 08:51 AM
    Because, the push for the Bing only browser has only hit the Storm 2 and Curve 2. Other models will follow soon.
    12-29-09 09:31 AM
    You people need to stop complaining! That icon doesn't take up that much space!
    12-29-09 09:00 PM
    Bing is actually not that bad of search engine at all...stop pissin & moanin.
    what about pissin and moanin about the horrible commercials? lol
    12-29-09 09:09 PM
    You people need to stop complaining! That icon doesn't take up that much space!
    No one is complaining about the icon. The issue is that we will no longer have the choice to pick a search engine on the 'go to' page of any VZW Blackberry. ALL options will eventually disappear leaving ONLY Bing.

As someone suggested: Try searching the phrase "how big is the sun?'
    Google will answer that question in the 2nd or 3rd result
    Bing will NOT answer the question until after it has bombarded you with useless sales pitches.

So, if you like the fact that VZW can take away your right to choose search engines on YOUR browser without your permission, enjoy. I for one do not appreciate having MY device's software changed without my consent.
    12-29-09 09:25 PM
    No one is complaining about the icon. The issue is that we will no longer have the choice to pick a search engine on the 'go to' page of any VZW Blackberry. ALL options will eventually disappear leaving ONLY Bing.

As someone suggested: Try searching the phrase "how big is the sun?'
    Google will answer that question in the 2nd or 3rd result
    Bing will NOT answer the question until after it has bombarded you with useless sales pitches.

So, if you like the fact that VZW can take away your right to choose search engines on YOUR browser without your permission, enjoy. I for one do not appreciate having MY device's software changed without my consent.
    Biting my tongue......mmmmm
    12-29-09 09:32 PM
    There are actually two different complaints here and people are getting confused and thinking that they're one...

Some people are complaining about the Bing app icon being pushed to their phone. (Personally, I didn't really have a problem with this... The icon itself takes up virtually zero room. I chose not to install the actual app and just hid the icon. To me, there's nothing really to complain about here...)

Other people are complaining about the fact that Verizon completely REMOVED all of the search engine options on the "Go to..." page in the Internet Browser and replaced it with Bing being the only option. That's a TOTALLY separate issue from the aforementioned Bing app icon.

For me, it's not really about the "Bing vs. Google" thing. I personally don't have anything against Bing. I just have always used Google and didn't really plan to switch. Yes, I understand that I can still go to google.com (or download the google app) and accomplish the same thing. However, I just have a problem with Verizon unilaterally making the decision to remove ALL of the other choices from my browser search bar... It just feels a little too "dictator-ish" and "monopoly-ish" for me...

Life or death? No...
    Just annoying and worth the fight for me to get things back...
    But, to each his own...

If you're tired of people complaining about this issue, then you might want to try not clicking on these type of topics in your web browser. Just skip over these discussions...
    12-29-09 09:42 PM
    I was a big fan of using google as a search option on the go to page. IMO Bing sucks. But why do people feel the need to constantly create new threads on this issue?? I don't get it at all. Enough is enough. A lot of people are upset about it but there's nothing we can do about it. It only takes an extra 5 seconds to go to Google and bookmark the site- then you won't even have to spend the extra time typing it in the address bar. You can just jump to the page and be on your way. I'm sure someone will follow this suggestion with "But verizon doesn't have the right to take this away from me! And blah blah blah." But the fact is they DO and they DID. If all you want to do is complain about it then please be quiet. There are a lot of other threads in existence to go whine in. You've been given really simple solutions on ways to still do searches and if you don't want to take advantage of the options you DO have then stop complaining. P*** P*** P***, Moan Moan Moan. I'm with Think, Mario and p08757.
    12-29-09 10:00 PM
    i set my homepage to google and search from there. I also downloaded the google "app" its just a window that opens your search in BB browser. but it does work.

One thing i can't understand is why every product that Microsoft puts out, just flat out sucks? I have no issue w/ VZW and MS working out a business deal. But at least make sure the product is good and does what it is supposed to do. If it didn't suck so bad, then no real issue. But Bing just flat out sucks.
    12-29-09 10:47 PM
    The only problem I have with them pushing Bing through is that it eats memory and is an unused icon on my desktop. I have no use for a search engine icon on my desktop, if I need to search something out, I open my browser and google, dogpile, yahoo or whatever I feel like using just like I would on a desktop or laptop. The principal is also screwed up. Verizon is playing big brother and that bothers me.

The Bing VPL is just an icon that acts as a link to the full downloadable version of the Bing seach application. Unless you download it, its not going to take up memory, battery, or anything if you hide it....
    12-29-09 11:36 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD