I'm an Alltel convert. Getting two Tours tomorrow to replace our HTC phones.

Current plan:
    Smartphone Family pack, 900 mins shared
    unlimited messaging
    7pm N&W
    11 My Circle numbers (got an extra one for 5+years)
    $90 + $40 (2nd phone) + etc - 10% bus disc = approx $140 a month

What I want:
    to use the BBs, obviously
    # of minutes are fine
    we should be able to get 20% discount through either mine or DH's work
    Decent texting, plus pic messages
    insurance (learned THAT lesson....)
    As close to the same price as humanly possible

It sounds like as of now, to keep my plan I have to pay $60 more a month for the data plan. True?

The website is confusing to me, and I've got to get this worked out by morning. Any help appreciated.

Also, Alltel offered the ability to change plans at any time without penalty. Does Verizon do the same?
    07-12-09 06:19 PM
    Check out VZW CS dudes thread.
    From what I understand we converts get to keep what we have, add BIS, extend for two more years and get the phones at the discounted rate.
    Don't know about discount but if you have a Smartchoice pack you should alrready have everything your asking for.
    In other words retain what you have plus two new TOURS and BIS
    I'm anxious to see how this works out for us as conflicting reports are still out there but Twins has some good suggestion in the thread I mentioned.
    07-12-09 07:11 PM
    Yup - all you'll need is a code change from smartphone data to BlackBerry data.

Sign & run. You'll get the best of both worlds.

For the record, I do not work for VZW or any carrier - I am just one of many who make sure you connect wherever you go..

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-12-09 07:22 PM
    Yup - all you'll need is a code change from smartphone data to BlackBerry data.

Sign & run. You'll get the best of both worlds.

For the record, I do not work for VZW or any carrier - I am just one of many who make sure you connect wherever you go..

So I do NOT have to pay the extra $30 per phone for a data plan? If not, how do I convince the salespeople at BestBuy Mobile who have already told me I have to do it?
    07-12-09 07:36 PM
    No, the data plan is mandatory, there's no getting out of it.
    07-12-09 07:39 PM
    No, the data plan is mandatory, there's no getting out of it.
    Okay, that's what I thought, just wanted to be sure I hadn't misunderstood.

But that means $60 more a month than I'm paying now.

I was hoping there was a combination of plans out there that would get me somewhere close to what I'm paying today without major loss of benefits. I'm willing to take a hit on a few things - minutes, or coming down from unlimited messaging to a specific number a month.
    07-12-09 07:51 PM
    If you already have HTC phones, you should already have a Smartchoice (data) plan. They just need to change the feature code from a regular smartphone to a BlackBerry code. There shouldn't be any cost difference.

Okay, that's what I thought, just wanted to be sure I hadn't misunderstood.

But that means $60 more a month than I'm paying now.

I was hoping there was a combination of plans out there that would get me somewhere close to what I'm paying today without major loss of benefits. I'm willing to take a hit on a few things - minutes, or coming down from unlimited messaging to a specific number a month.
    07-12-09 08:13 PM
    That's why I steer clear of Best Buy.

And also why I suggested the thread which has very good info from Twin.

You have what you need as it's just a matter of key strokes to change from WinMo to Blackberry BIS push e-mail. VZW just breaks it down differently than Alltel does. If you noticed Alltel never had any different Blackberry charges as all you had was Smartchoice no matter if it was WinMo or Blackberry. At any rate, yea, what Twins said.
    07-12-09 11:53 PM
    That's why I steer clear of Best Buy.

And also why I suggested the thread which has very good info from Twin.

You have what you need as it's just a matter of key strokes to change from WinMo to Blackberry BIS push e-mail. VZW just breaks it down differently than Alltel does. If you noticed Alltel never had any different Blackberry charges as all you had was Smartchoice no matter if it was WinMo or Blackberry. At any rate, yea, what Twins said.
    I read what you told me to read. It doesn't clear up, for me, the issue of the data plan. If I can keep my current plan and not add $60/month, I'm a happy camper for now. If I'm looking at a $60 increase, I want to look at Verizon plans to see if I can do better.
    07-13-09 05:58 AM
    Yes you have to add 2 bb data plans
    07-13-09 06:19 AM
    OK all...went to BB, got the phones. Told them to keep my current plan and add the $30 fees - I figured I could always call Verizon later if needed.
    Rep from best buy just called, now says I can't even keep my Alltel plan. Grumble. Guess I'll be calling CS later....

07-13-09 02:55 PM
    OK all...went to BB, got the phones. Told them to keep my current plan and add the $30 fees - I figured I could always call Verizon later if needed.
    Rep from best buy just called, now says I can't even keep my Alltel plan. Grumble. Guess I'll be calling CS later....
    If you got the phones through BestBuy and they changed you to VZW plans, there may not be any returning to the Alltel plans.

Usually, once changed, the grandfathering is gone & the move is irrevocable.

07-13-09 03:43 PM
    If you got the phones through BestBuy and they changed you to VZW plans, there may not be any returning to the Alltel plans.

Usually, once changed, the grandfathering is gone & the move is irrevocable.

I didn't change plans. They're telling me I can't keep my Alltel plan, that I HAVE to switch.

Didn't get a chance to call today. Will try later tonight or in the morning.
    07-14-09 05:55 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD