03-22-09 08:09 AM
38 12
tools
    I just don't get it, why try to "get out of it" people ask me ALL the time how to get out of it without an ETF and I just say "sir, you signed a contract KNOWING there would be an ETF" and they always get upset. I guess being on the other end of the phone and being a tech rep for Verizon it just makes me shake my head and wonder. I have paid MANY etf's in my time, and never have complained, or tried to get out of it, cause I knew FROM DAY ONE that I was going to have to if I cancelled.

/shrug
    yours is the reasonable adult reply. people don't stop to consider that they have entered into a "contract" because they want what they want when they want it. it's only after they no longer want it that they're mad when the word contract is bought up.
    03-20-09 02:53 PM
    best thing i can think of is give her mom ownership of the account and have her remove all services from her phone if its a berry or something. then depending on how long she has left on her contract, you can either pay $10/month (x however many months are left) for that 3rd line or the $175 etf, whatever is less.

edit: if it is a blackberry, activate a non-smart phone for that line since verizon requires a BB plan if you have one.
    03-20-09 03:24 PM
    I just don't get it, why try to "get out of it" people ask me ALL the time how to get out of it without an ETF and I just say "sir, you signed a contract KNOWING there would be an ETF" and they always get upset. I guess being on the other end of the phone and being a tech rep for Verizon it just makes me shake my head and wonder. I have paid MANY etf's in my time, and never have complained, or tried to get out of it, cause I knew FROM DAY ONE that I was going to have to if I cancelled.

/shrug
    i agree with you. the reason you pay the ETF is because verizon and basically every other service provider subsidizes the cost of whatever cell phone you buy from them. if you could cancel your contract at any time and not pay the etf, they would end up losing money. so its your choice, pay more up front and not have a contract (or a shorter one) or pay less and use their network. it sucks you cant have it all, but hey thats how business works. nothing is free, thats life.
    03-20-09 03:28 PM
    i agree with you. the reason you pay the ETF is because verizon and basically every other service provider subsidizes the cost of whatever cell phone you buy from them. if you could cancel your contract at any time and not pay the etf, they would end up losing money. so its your choice, pay more up front and not have a contract (or a shorter one) or pay less and use their network. it sucks you cant have it all, but hey thats how business works. nothing is free, thats life.
    Then why should people who pay FULL price for their phone have to pay an ETF? They didn't get the phone at a subsidized cost.
    03-20-09 03:31 PM
    Then why should people who pay FULL price for their phone have to pay an ETF? They didn't get the phone at a subsidized cost.
    you dont have to. if you paid full price for your phone, then you have a month to month contract and can terminate your contract whenever. if you signed a 1 or 2 year agreement AND paid full price, well then you (not you specifically) are an ***** and you dont know how to read.
    03-20-09 03:37 PM
    you dont have to. if you paid full price for your phone, then you have a month to month contract and can terminate your contract whenever. if you signed a 1 or 2 year agreement AND paid full price, well then you (not you specifically) are an ***** and you dont know how to read.
    This is not true. Yo can still pay full price and be under a 2 yr agreement; just not eligible for a price cut on a new phone.
    03-20-09 04:48 PM
    This is not true. Yo can still pay full price and be under a 2 yr agreement; just not eligible for a price cut on a new phone.
    What?? Sure you CAN pay full price and sign a 2-year agreement, but you dont HAVE to. If i wanted, I could buy a storm outright for $499 and have a month-to-month contract that could cancel anytime.

I think I see where your confusion is. If you are currently under a contract and you want a new phone, you will have to pay full price for it since you aren't eligible for the upgrade price, but you do NOT have to sign another 1 or 2 year contract. The reason you would still have to pay an ETF here is because you are still bound to whatever contract you signed originally.
    Last edited by snork; 03-20-09 at 04:54 PM.
    03-20-09 04:52 PM
    Aw, you mean I can't get a new phone @ a subsidized price every other month?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-20-09 05:53 PM

LOL! You can try.
    03-20-09 06:44 PM
    LOL! You can try.
    Maybe I should write to King Hussein of America.

03-20-09 07:45 PM
    Maybe I should write to King Hussein of America.

Perhaps, he will give you a cell phone bailout.
    03-20-09 07:54 PM
    Perhaps, he will give you a cell phone bailout.
    Nah - I am so far right of center, he'd hate me more than he hates Limbaugh.

03-20-09 08:14 PM

Nope, but about halfway through your contract, Verizon will typically allow you to get "promotional pricing" which is the "sign a new contract, get a discount" pricing plan, obviously after signing a new contract.
    03-22-09 08:09 AM
38 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD