Hey,

So I got the Droid on launch day and dont really like it. I had an S2 that I returned for it so I cant switch back to another phone so I have been trying to trade off the Droid for an S2, Tour whatever really. I just want it to be a blackberry.

Does anyone know if I can get insurance on a phone that I did not personally purchase? I dont remember if someone from the store told me I could or not when I asked a while back. I dont see why I couldnt but maybe there is some reasoning behind it that someone knows about. Thanks in advance for the info.
    11-16-09 09:13 PM
    I believe that if you have a receipt and the phone is active on your line, its covered.
    11-16-09 09:24 PM
    Does anyone know if I can get insurance on a phone that I did not personally purchase? I dont remember if someone from the store told me I could or not when I asked a while back. I dont see why I couldnt but maybe there is some reasoning behind it that someone knows about. Thanks in advance for the info.
    The only phones you can insure through Asurion on VZW are the devices you bought directly from VZW. No other phones need apply.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-16-09 10:49 PM
    The only phones you can insure through Asurion on VZW are the devices you bought directly from VZW. No other phones need apply.

Must be added within 30 days too. So no insurance for you!

I had tec for 4 months. Then I realized, I am a semi-responsible adult, I do check my pockets before jumping into a pool, I do not place my phone on the roof of my car while getting in, and I do not text while using the bathroom (I mean, come on), so.....insurance is a waste of money for me. Imagine the money you could save if you actually paid attention to what you were doing at any given moment in time.

And I don't want to hear any bs from "stressed parents"--between us, my wife and I have 6 kids. Top that.
    11-16-09 11:30 PM
    You might want to contact SMUAlien (see Android forum post "upgrade, how to") he has a new S2 he wants to swap for a Droid...........
    11-16-09 11:46 PM
    And I don't want to hear any bs from "stressed parents"--between us, my wife and I have 6 kids. Top that.
    Ditto that - even though they do not need them, my kids have them for two reasons - it is a convenience for me and I can afford that convenience. If I had Asurion insurance just on the primary phones for each of us, I'd be looking at around $80/month just to Asurion. Not a single insurable phone loss.

Add it up.

11-16-09 11:52 PM
    Its more of the hardware/software issues im more concerned about. Not mistakingly dropping it in the toilet. The S2 that I did have had to be returned twice because of the send button and back button not working on both phones. So I just want it for that reason alone. Im assuming you need insurance for these reasons?? Or is it not necessary for these types of problems??

Sue88, I actually have someone local that wants to trade tomorrow and said he can get insurance put on it for me. He works in the Fios dept at Verizon but knows the reps at the local store here. We will see what happens. If it falls through I will definitly contact him. Thank you.
    11-17-09 12:03 AM
    If it is a regular hardware issue, it's covered by the one year warranty.
    You do not need insurance for that. Insurance is for loss or damage. TEC extends the warranty coverage for an additional year.
    11-17-09 03:23 PM
    Its more of the hardware/software issues im more concerned about. Not mistakingly dropping it in the toilet. The S2 that I did have had to be returned twice because of the send button and back button not working on both phones. So I just want it for that reason alone. Im assuming you need insurance for these reasons?? Or is it not necessary for these types of problems??

Sue88, I actually have someone local that wants to trade tomorrow and said he can get insurance put on it for me. He works in the Fios dept at Verizon but knows the reps at the local store here. We will see what happens. If it falls through I will definitly contact him. Thank you.
    This is against policy and if your phone does end up falling in the toilet or damaged and you try to get it replaced chances are they will see that the phone was on an account prior to yours and they will credit you back the $$$ you paid for the insurance and leave you with a phone that doesn't work.
    11-17-09 03:29 PM
    This is against policy and if your phone does end up falling in the toilet or damaged and you try to get it replaced chances are they will see that the phone was on an account prior to yours and they will credit you back the $$$ you paid for the insurance and leave you with a phone that doesn't work.
    **UPDATE**

So me and the guy went into the Verizon store tonight. Come to find out he actually didnt even have to know the person there. We talked to another rep there and he said because both of the phones are less then 30 days old we could both get insurance. Needless to say I am very happy I have my S2 back!
    11-17-09 09:46 PM
    **UPDATE**

So me and the guy went into the Verizon store tonight. Come to find out he actually didnt even have to know the person there. We talked to another rep there and he said because both of the phones are less then 30 days old we could both get insurance. Needless to say I am very happy I have my S2 back!
    Be careful - it can be added, but if the records at Asurion don't match, you aren't insured, Asurion may deny claims & your only recourse is a refund of the premiums.

11-17-09 10:56 PM
    What if you were to buy a phone never before activated on ebay. and were possibly able to get the original reciept too. could you legitamitly have asurion insurance on the phone? or without the receipt and it was just never activated. like before december 6th any droid would obviously be under 30 days old, but after that date cant a purchase date be obtained by VZW by esn or another method?
    11-18-09 02:04 AM
    What if you were to buy a phone never before activated on ebay. and were possibly able to get the original reciept too. could you legitamitly have asurion insurance on the phone? or without the receipt and it was just never activated. like before december 6th any droid would obviously be under 30 days old, but after that date cant a purchase date be obtained by VZW by esn or another method?
    Verizon employees are generally not allowed to comment on what is/what isn't covered. Your best bet would be to call Asurion directly 888-881-2622. Also, check your homeowners/renters insurance, mine cover my phone.
    11-18-09 02:55 AM
    I hate when people call in and say they have damaged their phone and it turns out they have NO insurance. Then proceed with the argument that they've always had insurance on the account, but they haven't been paying for it in the past year.
    11-18-09 03:43 AM
    When I had Alltel, I got a HTC6700 off ebay and went to add insurance to it at the store, they told me I had to call Asurion and have them add it to my account, 5 minutes later they had it on there, only catch is you can't file a claim in the first 30days. But I didn't need to for 3 months, then since the phone was 2+ years old at the time the keyboard stopped working, the insurance came in quite handy. $90 got me a NIB 6800.

11-19-09 07:00 AM
    I hate when people call in and say they have damaged their phone and it turns out they have NO insurance. Then proceed with the argument that they've always had insurance on the account, but they haven't been paying for it in the past year.
    It's even better when the call notes show they were just as shocked and angry the day before when another rep told them the same thing.
    11-19-09 08:26 AM
    It's even better when the call notes show they were just as shocked and angry the day before when another rep told them the same thing.
    Any time I read about the cust callin in like the day before and the notes are like "cust was extremely angry..." it turns out to be a fun call
    11-19-09 08:48 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD