I finally got smart and switched to sprint after 2 years with V. I called transferred my number, closed my account and paid the outstanding balance. Now I have someone that is buying the phone from me and V says they can not release the EIN number since my billing cycle is not until 2/19. What did I do wrong here?
    02-06-10 10:37 AM
    i wouldnt say it was smart switching the sprint, in my opinion that was pretty dumb as there coverage is a lot less then Verizons.

what Verizon told you was right, you have to wait
    02-06-10 10:42 AM
    I finally got smart and switched to sprint after 2 years with V. I called transferred my number, closed my account and paid the outstanding balance. Now I have someone that is buying the phone from me and V says they can not release the EIN number since my billing cycle is not until 2/19. What did I do wrong here?
    Basically, what happens is when the account is cancelled, it will go through the end of the billing cycle. THis can be rectifed, but will take call to VZW and I believe a supervisor to change a date in the system.
    02-06-10 10:46 AM
    We actually switched from verizon to sprint because the coverage was better and also the price. Sprint has 3g coverage here whereas verizon does not. Best move we have ever made.
    02-06-10 10:48 AM
    I think it depends on your location. I know for me here in the Midwest, (Omaha / K.C.) I have way better coverage with Sprint. I used to have Verizon and would have all kinds of dropped calls, especially when traveling between Omaha and K.C., so I switched to Sprint. The service and coverage is great, in my opinion better than Verizon at least here in my area, and plus Sprint's plans are cheaper and all inclusive, you don't have to pay extra for other features, such as navigation, tv/video, music, etc...

So, I'm going to say, Great Job on switching to Sprint!
    02-06-10 10:48 AM
    I had the same problem when I switched to another carrier. Verizon would release my esn so I could sell it until the end of the billing cycle. I called Verizon and they just activated a busted phone's esn for me so I could sell me equipment immediately. Than I came back to Verizon...

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-06-10 11:09 AM
    Lets keep this thread on track. The OP wants to know how to clear his MEID/ESN to sell his device. Lets not turn this into a VZW vs Sprint coverage issue. There are a million threads about this already.
    02-06-10 11:29 AM
    Sprint is doing the same thing to my parents right now. Wont release ESN until end of billing cycle. It must be a standard thing for all cell companies
    02-06-10 01:59 PM
    Lets keep this thread on track. The OP wants to know how to clear his MEID/ESN to sell his device. Lets not turn this into a VZW vs Sprint coverage issue. There are a million threads about this already.

agreed.....
    to OP it's like when you are getting credit for a billing error.
    It has to go through a full cycle before the system will make the adjustments.
    If sprint works for you then great!
    02-06-10 02:04 PM
    I'm not sure why you wouldn't expect that? SPrint would do it too. It's called making sure they get final payment from you for services used. Keeps you from selling the phone and "failing" to pay your balance due. Good business sense really...
    02-06-10 03:01 PM
    I'm not sure why you wouldn't expect that? SPrint would do it too. It's called making sure they get final payment from you for services used. Keeps you from selling the phone and "failing" to pay your balance due. Good business sense really...
    Doing so also theoretically keeps the door open till the very last minute in case you change your mind. Let's say things fall through with Sprint and you want to come back to VZW before you final billing cycle is up...but because they released your ESN before that point and you sold your phone, you're unable to do so.
    02-06-10 03:13 PM
    You did nothing wrong. In fact you did everything right! Unfortunately thats how it works. After your cycle ends you can sell the device. Is it a Tour?? If so, make sure it is unlocked so you can sell it to a broader market. You can easily get $200 for it on eBay or Craigslist. If it's a Curve, $100 is about the going rate.

While I would not switch to Sprint, everyone has different needs and I hope they meet yours.
    02-06-10 07:27 PM
    How is not releasing the ESN BS?
    02-06-10 10:26 PM
    How is not releasing the ESN BS?
    He didn't do his homework before hour put his VZ phone up for sale. I didn't explicitly know vzw would do that either, but then again I would never leave and I'm the type of guy to call and ask before hand anyway.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-07-10 07:39 AM
    Thanks for all the comments. It took four calls and a supervisor to release the ESN. I understand all your comments including making sure they get paid. However you must have missed where I stated I had paid my final bill and had completed the term of my contract. I owed VZ nothing, maybe, just maybe if they were a bit better in the customer service side I would have stayed. Well maybe not they seem to get us BB users for extra fees versus Sprint. Love that simply everything plan, no mystery charges at the end of the month.
    02-08-10 10:54 AM
    I think what happened here was when the rep finished out your contract they put end on the last day of your bill cycle. no big deal really and something that could have easily been fixed if taken a look at properly. It's actually what defaults in our system. It's not that we wanted anymore money from you seeing as how your contract was up and you were finished with VZW and had paid in full. It's more a system thing than anything against you. In the system it will show disconnected, however like I said it defaults until the last day of the bill cycle.

I apologize that you had such a hassle with this issue.
    02-08-10 11:55 AM
    Thanks for all the comments. It took four calls and a supervisor to release the ESN. I understand all your comments including making sure they get paid. However you must have missed where I stated I had paid my final bill and had completed the term of my contract. I owed VZ nothing, maybe, just maybe if they were a bit better in the customer service side I would have stayed. Well maybe not they seem to get us BB users for extra fees versus Sprint. Love that simply everything plan, no mystery charges at the end of the month.
    I've only ran into ONE bad CSR and after the BS that one gave me I decided to send them a little email and they called me the next day and took care of everything. Sometimes you just gotta take things to the next level.
    Last edited by baberz; 02-09-10 at 09:33 AM.
    02-08-10 12:09 PM
    Well maybe not they seem to get us BB users for extra fees versus Sprint. Love that simply everything plan, no mystery charges at the end of the month.
    Explain the so called "extra fees" in which VZW Blackberry users incur?
    02-09-10 09:32 AM
    Wireless Vet I will humor you even though this is not about who is better, it was, why did I have to go and make 4 calls to get a simple thing corrected on my account.

Using the same criteria on sprint and vzw;

Unlimited minutes
    Unlimited navigation
    Unlimited texting
    Unlimited web
    unlimited everything, period
    including insurance coverage
    3 phones all blackberry's on a family plan

Per each website as of today;

Sprint 300.97
    Vzw 388.89, this includes extra fees for blackberry service as well as Vzw navigator

Again not bashing anyone, just pointing out the obvious.
    02-09-10 10:20 AM
    even if you have to add the additional features, they're not "mystery" charges. I say, you just wanted to be dramatic.
    02-09-10 10:52 AM
    Wireless Vet I will humor you even though this is not about who is better, it was, why did I have to go and make 4 calls to get a simple thing corrected on my account.

Using the same criteria on sprint and vzw;

Unlimited minutes
    Unlimited navigation
    Unlimited texting
    Unlimited web
    unlimited everything, period
    including insurance coverage
    3 phones all blackberry's on a family plan

Per each website as of today;

Sprint 300.97
    Vzw 388.89, this includes extra fees for blackberry service as well as Vzw navigator

Again not bashing anyone, just pointing out the obvious.
    There are no extra "fees" associated with blackberry service. Sprint has them too they are just built in to the plan that you selected through them.

I could point out a few things to you like coverage maps but I am sure you have seen the commercials. If Sprint works in your area that's great. Being a part of VZW I want what is best for you the customer. VZW isn't for everyone. However, before long it will be
    02-09-10 12:02 PM
    im glad you got it taken care of.
    02-09-10 12:06 PM
    it makes me little surprise for a bit but now i understand lol
    02-09-10 12:18 PM
    I've only ran into ONE bad CSR and after the BS that one gave me I decided to send them a little email and they called me the next day and took care of everything. Sometimes you just gotta take things to the next level.

And this is just another reason I will not resign my contract with them. Full retail or buy a used phone of CB. VZW can kiss my arse.
    Make up your mind. Cool avatar...
    02-09-10 04:15 PM
    Wireless Vet I will humor you
    There's no need to humor anyone. The way you stated "extra fees" insinuated that there were extra fees on top of either the 29.99 or 44.99, which there is not.

Have you checked VZW's new plans, including the new unlimited talk, text, and data plans?
    02-09-10 05:02 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD