07-13-11 12:54 PM
26 12
tools
    ETF =Early termination fee.

I found this website... and it started July 1st. Wonder if it's true. Can anyone decipher if this is true or not?

Get Out of Your Verizon Contract Without Paying an Early Termination Fee

that site links to this one...

http://consumerist.com/2011/06/new-f...ation-fee.html

is it true?
    Last edited by JJGeneral1; 07-06-11 at 11:46 AM.
    07-06-11 11:42 AM
    It can work, and it can also be used to get you extra perks too, as retentions will try to keep you. Also it can be more trouble than it's worth especially if you are relatively happy with Verizon, as they MAY take a hard line and force you to go to court, and the courts might just see it as a frivolous suit since we are only talking pennies here.
    07-06-11 12:34 PM
    It can work, and it can also be used to get you extra perks too, as retentions will try to keep you. Also it can be more trouble than it's worth especially if you are relatively happy with Verizon, as they MAY take a hard line and force you to go to court, and the courts might just see it as a frivolous suit since we are only talking pennies here.
    I agree..... Thankfully im happy with my service
    07-06-11 01:03 PM
    Very true, but if you follow the website information, and say it's that one thing (the changing of the contract without informing you), you can get it no problem. Say no to freebies, stick to that one thing only.
    Last edited by JJGeneral1; 07-06-11 at 10:41 PM.
    07-06-11 10:33 PM
    Very true, but if you follow the website information, and say it's that one thing (the changing of the contract without informing you), you can get it no problem. Say no to freebies, stick to that one thing only.
    They did inform customers though, in the bill....in May.
    Last edited by supermario28; 07-07-11 at 04:01 AM.
    07-07-11 03:58 AM
    Here's the notice I received on my bill.

Notice Of Change To Regulatory Charge
    Beginning July 1, 2011, the monthly Regulatory Charge for voice and email plans may change based on anticipated changes in our costs. We are currently charging $0.13 per line each month, and anticipate a change to up to $0.16 per line each month. For Mobile Broadband plans, the Regulatory Charge will remain at $0.02 per line each month. For information regarding the Regulatory Charge, call 1-888-684-1888
    And here is what you agreed to...

What Charges Are Set by Verizon Wireless?

You agree to pay all access, usage and other charges that you or the user of your wireless device incurred. For Postpay Service, our charges also include Federal Universal Service, Regulatory and Administrative Charges, and we may also include other charges related to our governmental costs. We set these charges; they aren't taxes, they aren't required by law, they are kept by us in whole or in part, and the amounts and what they pay for may change.
    Oh and this too...

Can Verizon Wireless Change This Agreement or My Service?

We may change prices or any other term of your Service or this agreement at any time,but we'll provide notice first, including written notice if you have Postpay Service. If you use your Service after the change takes effect, that means you're accepting the change.
    So your little scam has no merit. Nice try though.
    07-07-11 04:07 AM
    I love taking escalations on this and telling people I'm not letting them out of their contract. It doesn't work.
    07-07-11 05:55 AM
    I actually would love to hear someone explain how 0.72 cents TOTAL in the span of a 2-year contact, less then that if they've completed some of it already, would have an adverse effect on them. That's got to be a golden story.
    07-07-11 02:24 PM
    Scam?

Ok. So to quote what you said. "IF YOU HAVE POSTPAY you will be notified."

People like me, who do all online, never once got notification. You know what my notification was? Logging into my account, viewing my bill, click on "need to know information" and then seeing, in tiny little letters... this:

Limiting Notations On Payments
    Written notations included with or on your payment cannot be reviewed when bills are processed and will not be honored. Please send such notated payment and any accompanying correspondence to the Correspondence Address on Page 2 of your bill.

Electronic Fund Transfer (EFT)
    Your check authorizes us either to make a one-time electronic funds transfer (EFT) from your account or process as a check. An EFT may be withdrawn from your account the same day you make your payment and your check is not returned to you. If you want to be excluded from EFT, please call 1-866-544-0401. If payment is returned unpaid, you authorized us to collect an additional $25 fee through EFT from your account.

Notice Of Change To Regulatory Charge
    Beginning July 1, 2011, the monthly Regulatory Charge for voice and email plans may change based on anticipated changes in our costs. We are currently charging $0.13 per line each month, and anticipate a change to up to $0.16 per line each month. For Mobile Broadband plans, the Regulatory Charge will remain at $0.02 per line each month. For information regarding the Regulatory Charge, call 1-888-684-1888.

Become An Expert On Your Device
    Attend a complimentary online or in-store wireless workshop to learn all about your device. Find out how to preserve battery life, manage usage, the latest apps, transferring data from your phone to computer and much more. Visit www.vzw.com/workshops to enroll today. Also check out our online phone resources at vzw.com/support anytime day or night right from the comfort of your home or office.
    Paragraph 3 says it all. They're changing it, and I didn't sign a new contract with them to agree to the change. Our "agreement" is that we continue to use the service and we aren't aware of the change.

Can Verizon Wireless Change This Agreement or My Service?

We may change prices or any other term of your Service or this agreement at any time,but we'll provide notice first, including written notice IF you have Postpay Service. If you use your Service after the change takes effect, that means you're accepting the change. If you're a Postpay customer and a change to your Plan or this agreement has a material adverse effect on you, you can cancel the line of Service that has been affected within 60 days of receiving the notice with no early termination fee.

Yes it is meager, but for the online only people, like myself, it's a change to a contract by one party, with the other party disagreeing. This is considered breach of contract.

Oh, and not to mention...

Despite its important-sounding name, the "Regulatory fee" is not charged by the government, it's just another fee Verizon assesses.
    Which is absolutely correct.

This is what is known as a "materially adverse change of contract" and by standard contract law, it renders the contract void if one of the parties doesn't like the change.

First you'll want to bone up on what materially adverse change of contract means. Basically you signed a contract to get a given service at a given price, and after you signed it, they made it cost more. It doesn't matter if it's $50, a penny, or in this case, 3 cents. It's still materially adverse.
    07-08-11 12:49 PM
    Scam?

Ok. So to quote what you said. "IF YOU HAVE POSTPAY you will be notified."

People like me, who do all online, never once got notification. You know what my notification was? Logging into my account, viewing my bill, click on "need to know information" and then seeing, in tiny little letters... this:

Do you have prepay? No. Then your post pay. Whether you deal with your account online or not, you were notified. If the print is too small, since your on a computer, adjust your resolution.

Paragraph 3 says it all. They're changing it, and I didn't sign a new contract with them to agree to the change. Our "agreement" is that we continue to use the service and we aren't aware of the change.

You signed a contract that states: You agree to pay all access, usage and other charges that you or the user of your wireless device incurred. Why do people skip over that part?

Yes it is meager, but for the online only people, like myself, it's a change to a contract by one party, with the other party disagreeing. This is considered breach of contract.

But hey, if 0.72 cents or less is gonna put you out, please go ahead and cancel. Don't use a cell phone at all actually because you need the money. Time to start utilizing it for something important.
    07-08-11 02:06 PM
    I wouldn't mind a few perks. J/k. I actually like the service because it works.
    07-08-11 02:53 PM
    insulting post deleted! -pk
    How does this relate to anything being discussed on this thread?

Anyways, I wonder if anyone has actually gotten out of their contract this way.
    Last edited by pkcable; 07-11-11 at 11:13 AM. Reason: deleting personal attack in quoted post
    07-09-11 01:00 AM
    Your contract states they may change. They change every quarter because they're not set by Verizon they're set by the FCC. You think that Verizon would leave a loophole in their contract allowing people to cancel without ETFs every 3 months?

Good luck arguing that if you get me on the phone, I will glady debate with you for hours then in the end realize that no matter what you say I'm not giving in. Sue us.
    07-09-11 01:09 AM
    How does this relate to anything being discussed on this thread?

Anyways, I wonder if anyone has actually gotten out of their contract this way.
    A few have, this isn't new, it's been a subject for years.

It's now been updated in our systems to say that this is not a reason to waive the ETF. The only time it would work now is if you get an ignorant supervisor who approves it.
    Last edited by gotblackberry; 07-09-11 at 01:53 AM.
    07-09-11 01:11 AM
    insulting post deleted! -pk
    Are you offering? Because I have no idea what this has to do with what we are discussing.
    Last edited by pkcable; 07-11-11 at 11:16 AM. Reason: deleting personal attack!
    07-09-11 01:29 AM
    As a former court clerk, I can attest to this. I can't count how many stupid, insane lawsuits I had to sit through. If the judges could, the three that rotated through court would have equipped themselves with gattling guns and dealt out justice themselves. I would have sold tickets. One chick sued her husband because he stabbed her fish. He was arrested on animal cruelty though.

Welcome to Arkansas.

It's 3 cents a month. I can find that in the hallways at work every day.
    07-11-11 11:01 AM
    You signed a contract that states: You agree to pay all access, usage and other charges that you or the user of your wireless device incurred. Why do people skip over that part?
    I signed a contract, on March 12th, 2010 that has those set prices. If the regular base prices change, they have to notify me, and I have to agree to it. If I do not agree with the base price changes, then the contract is void because one party changed it (who made it) and the other (the signee) does not agree with the new change. As the "Regulatory fee" changed (which is only another fee verizon charges to offset their costs, and is not a government imposed fee), I do not agree with it, and therefore, as the signee of the original contract (with set prices as of March, 2010), and the drafter of the contract changing it, I win!

By the way, I did call, and guess what I got to stay? A new thunderbolt, no cost (although battery life blows on it). Love those freebies.
    Last edited by JJGeneral1; 07-11-11 at 02:35 PM.
    07-11-11 02:33 PM
    By the way, I did call, and guess what I got to stay? A new thunderbolt, no cost (although battery life blows on it). Love those freebies.
    Can I get a free Thunderbolt? I'd love one.
    Stuck in contracts until April 2012 on all my lines except one that I'm waiting to close in February so I can't use the upgrade for it.
    07-11-11 02:40 PM
    I signed a contract, on March 12th, 2010 that has those set prices. If the regular base prices change, they have to notify me, and I have to agree to it. If I do not agree with the base price changes, then the contract is void because one party changed it (who made it) and the other (the signee) does not agree with the new change. As the "Regulatory fee" changed (which is only another fee verizon charges to offset their costs, and is not a government imposed fee), I do not agree with it, and therefore, as the signee of the original contract (with set prices as of March, 2010), and the drafter of the contract changing it, I win!

Oh good for you.
    07-11-11 03:21 PM
    Say no to freebies, stick to that one thing only.
    See what a hypocrite you are? I would like to smack the rep that thought 0.72 cents was worth a $500 free phone.
    07-11-11 03:28 PM
    Soooo was this whole thread about getting out of your contract, or really just an attempt to get a new phone?
    07-11-11 03:38 PM
    Soooo was this whole thread about getting out of your contract, or really just an attempt to get a new phone?
    He was just being cheap and scamming for a free phone.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-11-11 03:52 PM
    He was just being cheap and scamming for a free phone.

I see that now lol. His whole arguement changed once he got that free phone lmao.
    07-11-11 05:14 PM
    Im calling once the bionic hits ..hopefully i can scam vz out of a free bionic.. Ill threaten to leave and go to sprint for the EVO 3D. WHAT YOU THINK SUPERMARIO?

07-12-11 11:15 PM
    Im calling once the bionic hits ..hopefully i can scam vz out of a free bionic.. Ill threaten to leave and go to sprint for the EVO 3D. WHAT YOU THINK SUPERMARIO?

What do I think? Nothing. I don't care about you. You're not that important.

07-12-11 11:50 PM
26 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD