08-13-08 01:08 PM
27 12
tools
    I am very, very anxious to get my first BB.
    That being said, I am not sure if I should get the Curve now (I really would like HTML and if I have read the posts correctly this is not available with the Curve??) or wait for the Thunder or Bold. It seems that The Thunder will be released first but I have some concern b/c it is a touchphone (I guess that means no qwerty keyboard) and this will be new to RIM. And then we have the Bold which may not be out for quite some time (2009?) and I don't want to wait that long.

Any thoughts/feedback appreciated!
    07-07-08 08:16 AM
    HTML will be available on the Curve with the next "Official" v4.5 OS release, which should be soon.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-07-08 08:58 AM
    I was in the same boat about 2-3 weeks ago. I was eligible for an upgrade for a long time before I finally got my Curve. I was debating on if I should wait for the Bold or get the Curve. My personal oppinion is to get the Curve right this second. By the time the Bold comes out Verizon will (usually) be the last to get it. Also, you will not get a good discount if you are upgrading from a old phone. The Curve has (almost) everything the Bold will and is a absolute amazing device.
    07-07-08 11:25 AM
    I was on the fence too,but I finally made the decision to get the curve. I think you should go ahead and get the curve. It is an excellent device and I have not regretted it one bit. It may be a long time before verizon gets the bold.

07-07-08 12:02 PM
    It looks like verizons version of the bold not likely til 2009. I recently got the curve but only got a one year contract. That makes me eligible for upgrade after 10 months.
    That's probably enough time for the the rthunfer to get released and then fixed from the bugs its liable to have being their first touch screen.
    I love my BB but look what happened to the iPhone early adopters. Pricing dropped dramatically after 3 months and they iffered something to them only after a lot of complaining.
    I like my curve so far.

07-07-08 01:54 PM
    CURVE ALL THE WAY....With OS4.5 (whether you get official or "unofficial" version) you will be able to recieve html and every other type of emaail/attachment. Look at it this way to the curve all ready has excellent 3rd party apps and new updates/apps/programs come out daily on it, just check homepage of crackberry. Everyday something new comes out for the curve, you can't start to think thats how its going to be once a new phone comes out right? It going to be a while before these softwares and other packages start coming out for brand new phones...the curve is like Micrsoft Xp and the Bold/thunder will be vista once it first comes out its going to be just okay, while the curve right now is excellent. You know what your getting with the curve. Touch screen is a pain to type with, i have had a run with the iphone and i will never purchase a touchscreen for typing an email....half the time the button you press isn't read correctly! GO WITH THE CURVE, HANDS DOWN!!
    07-07-08 02:04 PM
    How will I know when Official 4.5 OS is available with the Curve?
    Or do I get the Curve now and update when available
    Forgive these questions but I really am not very savvy about these things....
    07-07-08 02:25 PM
    Most likely here will be the first to know when the official 4.5 version is about (probably about the same time Verizon knows, ha). There are Beta versions available now (if you're that gutsy/savvy-I am neither) and I think 4.5 will officially be released in the next few months.

I would personally go with the Curve. I got mine about a month ago and I am beyond addicted to it. The Thunder seems cool and while I have faith that BB's touchscreen is better than most out there I have played with the Glyde, Voyager, and Dare (VZW's current touch phones) and get nothing but frustrated. I can see the Thunder being the same. It's your choice though, go spend some time with a Curve in a VZW store, you'll be hooked.
    07-07-08 02:46 PM
    Hello Everyone,
    I Have A Quick Question, Which Is Off Topic....
    I Recently Added Two Songs To My Bb Curve 8310 But, When I Try To Look For Them Under Media, They Are Not There!!!
    All My Songs Are Going Into My Ringtones. How To I Stop That From Happening?
    In Serious Need Of Help... : (
    Sesy <3
    07-07-08 02:51 PM
    Wait for the newer phones. They'll have larger screen resolutions which make a drastic improvement on web browsing as they can show not only more information at screen at one time, but smaller text as well due to the increase in pixels.
    07-08-08 11:28 AM
    Most likely here will be the first to know when the official 4.5 version is about (probably about the same time Verizon knows, ha). There are Beta versions available now (if you're that gutsy/savvy-I am neither) and I think 4.5 will officially be released in the next few months.

I would personally go with the Curve. I got mine about a month ago and I am beyond addicted to it. The Thunder seems cool and while I have faith that BB's touchscreen is better than most out there I have played with the Glyde, Voyager, and Dare (VZW's current touch phones) and get nothing but frustrated. I can see the Thunder being the same. It's your choice though, go spend some time with a Curve in a VZW store, you'll be hooked.
    Could you please explain the difference between the "Beta" version and other 4.5 version? Thank you.
    07-08-08 01:38 PM
    There is no official version of 4.5 out for verizon. You can take the plunge and upgrade using a beta or you can download a 3rd party app in order to view html email. I am absolutely in love with my curve, and I have had it for about a month. It is the best phone I have ever had. Would not trade it for any of the new phones come out in the near future!

07-08-08 01:46 PM
    My two cents; get the Curve now (with a short contract with your carrier, if possible) so that you learn all the ins & outs of it before the Bold / Thunder comes out. That way, when you get the Bold / Thunder, the learning curve will be way shorter.
    07-08-08 01:58 PM
    A few weeks ago, Verizon offered an early turn in of your NE2 discount if you upgraded to a smart phone, which included the Curve. After all the research I have done since then, I wish I would have opted for the Curve. That offer has since expired, so I guess I missed to boat. I'm pretty bummed about that.
    07-08-08 03:33 PM
    i am in the same delimma...

My main question is will the bold or thunder have WiFi.(I'm too cheap to pay the $30 a month for a data plan to have a little more convience)
    07-08-08 09:06 PM
    A few weeks ago, Verizon offered an early turn in of your NE2 discount if you upgraded to a smart phone, which included the Curve. After all the research I have done since then, I wish I would have opted for the Curve. That offer has since expired, so I guess I missed to boat. I'm pretty bummed about that.
    No guarantees but if you call cs you may be able to convince them to extend a similar offer to you since your a customer and want to stay. The cs reps, especially the supervisors, have a decent amount of power. Can't hurt to ask.

07-08-08 09:41 PM
    tennistim-

I agree with the above comment, if you really want the phone it's not going to hurt to call. They let me get the curve after I had gotten a NE2 LG phone 2 months prior. I guess I was part of the deal you mentioned. Even then though, when I spoke to the rep she didn't mention that deal right away. She quoted me $419, and it was only after I sighed outloud and mentioned it would be cheaper for me to pay the ETF and go with Tmobile that she put me on hold to see what she could do. Then she came back with the "you've been a customer since 2001 and we don't want to lose you..." thing.

Mind you she's not stupid, and I'm not stupid... she knew what I was getting at and they know I pay $30 more a month now. Just give it a shot, be friendly, and best of luck.
    07-08-08 10:44 PM
    No guarantees but if you call cs you may be able to convince them to extend a similar offer to you since your a customer and want to stay. The cs reps, especially the supervisors, have a decent amount of power. Can't hurt to ask.

If you call in, and you're polite, there should be no problem at all.
    07-09-08 03:21 PM
    I would wait the bold and thunder are going to put the curve to shame
    07-09-08 03:30 PM
    I would wait the bold and thunder are going to put the curve to shame
    The screen rez is really gonna make a drastic difference. 320x240 stuck around for far too long.
    07-10-08 12:49 AM
    Well I did go out and get the Curve and must say that it is wonderful
    Haven't done much with it yet (had it for 2 days now) but am enjoying being able to check emails so easily.
    The phone sound quality is great.
    This is my first Blackberry and I am very impressed with how easy it is to navigate, even for a non-tech person like myself
    In a nutshell I am glad I didn't wait for the Bold
    Thanks to all who responded to my initial query

Ooops -- guess I need to change my profile now

Take care
    07-13-08 03:22 PM
    700P owner here on Verizon. I'm really wanting to change over to BB and am sick of all the BS crashes and freezes on my POS 700P. Only question is should I get a curve now? Or should I wait and see what the Thunder is like? I really really like the physical keypad having used an iPhone. It's not hard as I got pretty fast at it, but I think unless the RIM virtual keyboard kicks a$$, I won't like it. Plus I'm thinking that I should wait on anything new, especially on Verizon. New phones don't always work like they should. Anyone care to weigh in on this?? Thinking about getting a Curve really soon.....
    08-09-08 11:29 PM
    700P owner here on Verizon. I'm really wanting to change over to BB and am sick of all the BS crashes and freezes on my POS 700P. Only question is should I get a curve now? Or should I wait and see what the Thunder is like? I really really like the physical keypad having used an iPhone. It's not hard as I got pretty fast at it, but I think unless the RIM virtual keyboard kicks a$$, I won't like it. Plus I'm thinking that I should wait on anything new, especially on Verizon. New phones don't always work like they should. Anyone care to weigh in on this?? Thinking about getting a Curve really soon.....
    get the curve, you'll love it! i'm in love with mine
    08-09-08 11:58 PM
    I was considering the same thing. I use to get new phones when soon as they came out. I had the motorola 710 ( I think that was the name); it was the first bluetooth although verizon crippled it and got sued. Then I got the lg8100, courtesy of the class action; it was the first mp3 phone. Although, I did not buy a phone for probably 6+ years, I decide it was not worth getting a phone when the first came out, especially if they have some new technology. To me, it was not worth the cost of the phone. I just got the Curve this week for $50. I could have waited for the thunder/storm, but the Curve was $50 and the thunder/storm will cost probably $300. So far I love the Curve and maybe in a year I will ebay it and then get the thunder/storm.

FYI: I got the Curve for $50 because I just called and asked what they could do for me since I was out of contact for almost a year. I had been waiting for the curve since last year!
    08-10-08 05:10 PM
    I wanted to upgrade to the curve, but I talked to a friend who is a sales rep with RIM and said WAIT for the BOLD! I got a good deal on the Curve and went with that, I can wait for the Bold.
    08-12-08 08:09 PM
27 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD