I've noticed this piece of advice given out lots in these forums to folks who for one reason or another are not due/eligible for a new phone but are dying for a new or different smartphone. The advice is, "just get another line, it will only cost you $10 plus $30 for unlimited data." So then you have several telephone numbers, right? Or am I missing something? Somehow it doesn't seem like a fix to me. Do individuals really have several lines and several phones and several cell phone numbers?
    11-16-09 09:56 PM
    I have two lines with rolling upgrades on my account, yes.
    11-16-09 09:57 PM
    The translation of Sue's question is: Are some people really that nerdy?

This forum is the answer to her question.
    11-16-09 10:10 PM
    I have 5 lines on my account and I am the only one who ever upgrades. I got my parents a free boulder as a pity upgrade from their samsung u340. So yes, some of us do in fact have multiple lines and some lines, strictly for upgrading.
    11-16-09 10:23 PM

Agreed - lets see here how that all adds up...

Single line Select - 1350 minutes: $99.99

Two line family plan Select - 1400 minutes: $119.99

Forgetting the drop of 50 minutes, we're looking at $20/mo, whith is $240/year or $480/24 months.

All to save how much?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-16-09 10:30 PM
    Ok, interesting. I guess I'm hopelessly............cheap. I cringe a bit when I get my Verizon bill for me and my two kids. Maybe the problem is my husband who squawks when he sees the Verizon bill. He uses a circa 1998 Motorola phone on T-Mobile with a prepaid card he gets once a year for $100. He's very sanctimonious about the fact that he spends $100 year on cell phone service (but guess whose phone he plays with when he gets a chance!).
    11-16-09 10:31 PM
    Now I feel I have to add the following disclaimer: Although my profile lists two phones, only the Droid is active on my Verizon account. I'm keeping the 8830 in the profile because I suspect the Droid is going back to the store when it's about 25 days old unless a miracle occurs and it suddenly becomes easy and intuitive to use.
    11-16-09 10:42 PM

Haha, true story
    11-16-09 10:45 PM
    Now I feel I have to add the following disclaimer: Although my profile lists two phones, only the Droid is active on my Verizon account. I'm keeping the 8830 in the profile because I suspect the Droid is going back to the store when it's about 25 days old unless a miracle occurs and it suddenly becomes easy and intuitive to use.
    It will - and I have some oceanfront property in Arizona for you.

11-16-09 10:54 PM
    Isn't there an app for that?
    11-16-09 10:58 PM
    It will - and I have some oceanfront property in Arizona for you.

What phone do you actually like?
    11-16-09 11:08 PM
    Don't forget reps make money on "Adding another line." So in there defence they have to make a living and I'm sure Verizon is making it tough for them to. For some People it just works. For others its just bad news.
    11-17-09 08:48 AM
    Sue88- I'm with you. I went in an looked at the Droid, asked about upgrading, and since my NE2 isnt up until next year, they suggested I add a line. Instead of spending $480 (~40/mo for 12 months) on another line I wont use, I'd rather pay full retail and when my NE2 is up, I'm sure something nice will be available...

Unless my understanding of an additional line is wrong, or I could activate an old dumbphone on the new line, would that mean the additional line really is only $9/mo? That might make more sense...
    11-17-09 09:07 AM
    Hi,

I have my daughter and wife on my plan.
    I also get annual updates.
    My wife and daughter have update/NE2 on alternate years.
    So I can always update my phone or one of theirs.
    I also have a spare phone so I think, I'm going to dump insurance on all phones.
    11-17-09 02:28 PM
    Well thanks to employee disocunts the add-a-line option is very nice for employees.
    11-17-09 04:59 PM
    Sue88- I'm with you. I went in an looked at the Droid, asked about upgrading, and since my NE2 isnt up until next year, they suggested I add a line. Instead of spending $480 (~40/mo for 12 months) on another line I wont use, I'd rather pay full retail and when my NE2 is up, I'm sure something nice will be available...

Unless my understanding of an additional line is wrong, or I could activate an old dumbphone on the new line, would that mean the additional line really is only $9/mo? That might make more sense...
    Interesting, however I think you have to activate the data plan when you buy the BB or Droid. Whether or not you can activate a dumb phone on that line and then activate the new smartphone on another line is an interesting idea. Of course Verizon knows the device identifying numbers so if they are paying attention they could easily block the dropping of the data fees.
    11-17-09 05:22 PM
    The only time a data plan is required on a line is when equipment requiring a data plan is active. if you do an esn change to a dumbphone it will remove the data plan automatically as it is not required. VZW only requires the plan for smartphones, enhanced multimedia devices. So there will be no block if you change a secondary line off a smartphone preventing the data plan removal.

00smurf
    11-17-09 07:03 PM
    Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but I have a question about the statement below. It was not clearly answered to me.

Can you add a line and buy a smart phone for the line....switch the newly purchased phone to another line....and then just activate a dumb phone on the newly added line?

I will use the new line for my mom, but she doesn't want a BB/Smartphone. I will replace my BB with the new phone I get for her line...and just activate the extra dumb phone I have.

The reason I ask is I only have a Premium Retailer in my town and the people working - very nice BTW - were a little unsure without going through the process. That was yesterday at lunch...I have since found my old phone and verified it was working and ready to go if this is doable.

03-17-10 10:04 AM
    Yes.

03-17-10 12:33 PM
    Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but I have a question about the statement below. It was not clearly answered to me.

Can you add a line and buy a smart phone for the line....switch the newly purchased phone to another line....and then just activate a dumb phone on the newly added line?

I will use the new line for my mom, but she doesn't want a BB/Smartphone. I will replace my BB with the new phone I get for her line...and just activate the extra dumb phone I have.

The reason I ask is I only have a Premium Retailer in my town and the people working - very nice BTW - were a little unsure without going through the process. That was yesterday at lunch...I have since found my old phone and verified it was working and ready to go if this is doable.
    Indeed, and I would suggest purchasing the device and line through the online store to avoid the MIR. Just accept terms and conditions for the new device on the new line, then switch it over to yours. Put the "dumb" phone on your mom's line and you're good to go.
    Last edited by Doc_Havoc; 03-17-10 at 02:53 PM. Reason: More info
    03-17-10 02:52 PM
    Consider a regular day!

Consider Droid ($199 with activation)(retail $559)

Buying Retail and using it on existing line: $559

Now Adding a line
    (Applies: if you already have a family plan and under the 5 phone limit on a family plan)

if you add a line to an existing family plan
    Phone $199
    Activation fee : $35
    Monthly payment for line w/tax: 13.95 x 24months= $336
    Cost of adding a line + Phone(Assuming you have an old phone and is activated on new line and not using it)
    is 199+336+35= 570 (If the phone is on sale then use the sale price instead of 199)

Smart phone at retail price ($400- 600) compared to Smartphones bought with a new line added doesnt make much of a difference!!!!!

as a plus you get to make phone calls with the new line for 2 years!

Making a single line, Family plan costs you even more... !
    Last edited by weallareone; 03-17-10 at 03:35 PM.
    03-17-10 03:32 PM
    Yeah, it looks like adding a line costs a bit more in the long run and not many people are willing to shell out $500-$600 upfront. To be honest, I'd rather pay full retail than add a line. If you sell your current device for a good price, it could cover a big chunk of the price at full retail.
    I agree and don't have a problem with that except for the fact that the added line would be for my mom and she wants a dumb phone - which I happen to have one laying around....that's why I figure, get what I want and she can still have something that suits her needs. In reality I could just add a line and use the dumb phone I have too. The 1st deciding factor is whether or not she really wants a phone anyway. I don't mind the $10-15 for mom.....anyway we will see.

Thanks everyone for the help.
    03-17-10 09:39 PM
    4 phones on the 1400 minute family plan.
    Mine get annual upgrades. I always use.
    My wife usually gets a phone every two years or so.
    My daughter's phone never gets the cheap upgrade. I can buy her phone and use the upgrade for a real phone.
    My mother-in-law uses dumb phones so we use her upgrade as a valuable resource.

There is always at least one upgrade available at any given time.
    03-18-10 01:06 PM
    I thought on a family plan only the primary phone get's every two?
    03-25-10 01:37 AM
    Resurrecting this thread yet again.

Another benefit (at least I'm trying to convince myself this...) of an additional line is more frequent upgrade discounts...as fast as I go through devices, having 2 different upgrades available would be pretty nice. I may be complete off on this though.
    Last edited by rmaybach; 06-24-10 at 02:47 PM.
    06-24-10 02:45 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD